Water freshness...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Water freshness...

Postby SpudsBud » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:54 pm

Um, this is one of those dumb questions from a first time dog owner........should I change his water more than once a day? Whenever he drinks the remaining water looks quite unappetizing...
SpudsBud

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:49 pm

yea, you should change his water a couple times a day.
especially if it's dirty.
AllAmericanPUP

Water

Postby BudDog » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:58 pm

Bud is a big water drinker and I'm always either washing his bowl of filling it. Change the water once you see dirt, grass or anything else in there. I'd hate to drink water with something floating in it.. :))
BudDog
Matured Bully

Postby mnp13 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:32 pm

I change it when it looks dirty, but don't beatu yourself up about it. Dogs will happily drink out of a swamp if you let them. A little dirt won't hurt anything.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:38 pm

We have 5 Gallon buckets here filled with water only inside though as the bugs and mosquitos got to the ones outside but we clean it and fill it about once a week, Now since it hasnt been to hot but I used to have to refill their water bowls EVERY day in the MAJOR summer. But as long as its not green or really dirty dogs dont seem to mind!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby duckzilla » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:36 pm

We should start a thread of pictures of our dogs when we catch them drinking out of nasty water sources!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao
duckzilla

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:46 pm

I use 5 gallon buckets outside and I change the water about twice a day.
Ozzy loves throwing his toys in there wich makes the water very dirty very fast :sad:
AllAmericanPUP

Postby stillhoneymooning » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:23 am

When it's nice (warm) and Desiree spends most of her day outside, she drinks from an outdoor doggy fountain like this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 6457631023

That way she always has fresh cold water and doesn't get it ridiculously dirty (like she always does!)

Her water indoors stays fairly clean. But the outdoor fountain has been wonderful. She learned how to use it in no time, with the help of a little peanut butter!!

Heather
stillhoneymooning
Matured Bully

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:24 pm

My dogs are way spoiled. I have a RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/De-ionizer) unit to filter the water for my tank and make more than I'll ever use so the dogs drink it. That gets changed once a day.
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pheen » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:06 pm

I bought my dog one of those mini water cooler type things. He was hesitant at first (what's this new thing?), then he finally took a drink and it bubbled, and he never went near it again. I had to give it to my friend, whose mini-poodle wasn't scared of it. lol

pheen
Adolescent Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:46 pm

I use to have one of those things for my cats, but the water in the bowl always got real dirty and it became too annoying to clean the bowl a couple times a day and what not.
AllAmericanPUP

Postby megan203 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:11 pm

pheen wrote:I bought my dog one of those mini water cooler type things. He was hesitant at first (what's this new thing?), then he finally took a drink and it bubbled, and he never went near it again. I had to give it to my friend, whose mini-poodle wasn't scared of it. lol

Those things have one slight draw back (besides dogs being scared of it)...if you have a dog who likes to stick their muddy paws in the water dish (not that there's anyone like that at MY house), and the water in the dish gets so foul that you have to clean it, you have to wait until the water in the jug is empty, or end up dumping a WHOLE lot of water on the kitchen floor (unless, of course, you leave the thing outside)
megan203

Postby pollypop » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:12 pm

AllAmericanPUP wrote:I use to have one of those things for my cats, but the water in the bowl always got real dirty and it became too annoying to clean the bowl a couple times a day and what not.

Weird, we have a one gallon one which is used by two dogs and five cats and it never gets filthy. When it does get a bit icky, I just disassemble it and run it through the dishwasher.

I love that thing. I was going to suggest it to the original poster, but someone else beat me to it. :))
pollypop

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:09 pm

I have a LeBistro 5 gallon. I love it. The 3 dogs and the cat drink out of it. I clean it once a week and refill. Garion was cautious around it the first time it burbled but he has no problem with it now. They are worth the money and last forever.

They also drink out of 25 gallon buckets that are outside for the horses, they can get a bit nasty but they sure don't care. When mud puddles will do, and sometimes seem prefered, a relatively clean horse bucket works just fine.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby GotDesl » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:08 pm

Nasek718,
RO/DI for a reef aquarium perhaps? Are you on RC?

Sorry for the off-topic. I change my pups water about 3-4 times a day.
GotDesl

Next

Return to Health Issues