Water freshness...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:54 am

GotDesl wrote:Nasek718,
RO/DI for a reef aquarium perhaps? Are you on RC?

Sorry for the off-topic. I change my pups water about 3-4 times a day.
Yep, under same screen name and was at MACNA in Boston too.
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mnp13 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:59 pm

Ah yes, drinking dirty water.

Ruby drank dirty water yesterday while we were hiking up Algonquin Mountain (second highest in the Adirondacks). We had rest and water breaks as needed and both dogs had wet food on the way up and a full meal of dry food and some crackers at the summit before the descent.

8 long miles later we were back at the car (that's 4 each way for those of you who care!) Demo and I were half dead (I swear to God that mountain was MUCH shorter when I climbed it 12 years ago!). Connor, who had easily covered double the distance that anyone else in the group, wanted to go and do it again. Ruby was her mellow old self, twice on the way back she began making a nest to take a nap - all the while giving us the Look of Death. Demo said she was running ahead to see if there was a house with a bed nearby.

Two ravenous dogs got double rations for dinner.

Two hours later Ruby began projectile vomiting. Food from the entire day was launched across the hotel room...seven separate times. (How do I know it was the entire day's worth of food? Because I found identifiable parts of every meal!) The first time I got her to the bathroom. The second, third and fourth time I was too late to get her off the bed, so I tried to catch it with a towel. Did you know there is a charming splash effect when the second heave hits the pile from the first heave? Have you ever tried to convince a dog to vomit in a garbage can? It's quite the event. It was a special night, culminating in an arc of brown smelly water at 3:25 am - I caught every drop of the final two. Yes, I can be trained.

Why did I let her stay in the bed you ask? Well, she was of the bizaare opinion that it would be better to vomit in the living room. So I shut the bedroom door and she when she started heaving again she headed right for my backpack. Lovely. So the bed it was, mostly so I didn't have to sit on the scratchy rug.

Connor was completely freaked out by the entire event and would not stop climbing all over Demo, stepping on his face and um.. other parts.

Did I fail to mention that we had no paper towels or cleaning supplies of any kind? Hot water and EVERY towel in the place was used to clean the comforter, rug, wall, night stand, floor, my shoes, the sink, tub and toilet. Not to mention my hands and face. (yes, my face)

I think Ruby will not be drinking anything but water from my Brita filter for a while...

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:28 pm

I don't know rather to laugh at that or the image of Demo being trampled by Conner. lol lol lol
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BabyReba » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:28 pm

my friends have 3 greyhounds and 1 dobie, and they keep a supply of water out on the deck for the dogs that they don't replenish all that often . . . till now!

last week the dogs all drank from the outdoor water bowl, in which water had stood for 48 hours, and all 4 got sick. i suggested a food issue, but they are convinced it was water because the dogs ate from the same batch of food for a week previous and are still eating that food now, but have not been sick since.

i change my dogs' water at least daily, sometimes more. for example, tonight one of the dishes was full of nasty cat hair and food from the nasty cat. so it was cleaned promptly. since changing water is no biggie--actually one of the simplest tasks the dogs require--i do it a lot.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Boo439 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:59 am

Holy cow Michelle!!! That sucks. My dogs have never been THAT sick, but I don't think I could handle it as good as you if they were. I'd probably let 'em puke all over the room, check out and say, "Bill me."
Boo439

Postby concreterose » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:40 am

I wouldn't encourage drinking water from outside anyhow anyway. If your dog has never contracted ghiardia from drinking river, stream water or even water from standing puddles, count yourself blessed. It's a nasty little bugger and hard to get rid of.
concreterose
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues