Its True..She Gained WEIGHT!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Its True..She Gained WEIGHT!!!

Postby pitbulliest » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:40 pm

*GASPS*..I went to the vet today with Messina..cuz she got stung by a wasp...that's besides the point..ugh..I weighed her in and she gained approximately 3 - 3.5 pounds...since hmm about 3 months ago when I got her weighed...

I admit I'm really busy with school and work so she's probably not as active as before..but I try to take her out for runs and everything as often as I can..I don't want my dog getting fat damnit..what kinds of exercises do you guys suggest that are good for burning fat/calories?

Please, I need some suggestions..she currently weighs 58.8 lbs..and well I want to get her back to 55lbs soon..and winter is coming so that isn't going to help much ARGH...

I feed her wellness fish and sweet potatoe...2 cups daily..
The only problem is my mother will slip her some cooked chicken now and then..that could be contributing to the problem..she got bixched at by moi today so hopefully she will get the point..

Anyways..I hope you guys can give me some useful ideas and suggestions on how I could get her to lose the pounds.

Thankums
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:12 pm

In addition to more exercise, I would cut back on her food a bit until you get her down to where you want her. You could start off feeding her 3/4 a cup twice a day instead of two cups twice a day. If you don't see a difference in a few weeks, cut it back a bit more.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:36 pm

If she is healthy otherwise, joints are fine, and enjoys runs... go for the bike! My dogs get a great work out sprinting on the bike, and it takes less time than jogging so I more likely to ride more often. We go twice a day, and they are both very trim and muscular (not "overly" conditioned, though... yuck...)
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby JaquelineC » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:34 pm

I'd definitely cut back on the food...

My Deegan is about 60-65lbs and he eats 2 cups a day or less, he doesn't always finish his food...

Here's a site with a bunch of different activites you can do with your dog: DogPlay.Com

:thumbsup:
JaquelineC

Postby jmann4 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:43 pm

If you decide to cut back on the food, don't increase her activity level right away. Cut back on the food, let her get used to getting less food, and then exercise her as you normally do. Do not increase her activity.
jmann4

Postby pitbulliest » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:55 pm

Thanks guys..sorry I got back to your responses so late..I actually have been doing some more exercise with her for the past three days..I know its only three days but I'm trying to get her more active..I admit I don't have much time, as I've mentioned before..but I'm forcing myself to make my schedule even more hectic...she's very important to me so ...too bad for me and my schedule lol

As for the food..well I'm afraid to cut back because it would be so little..the cup of wellness in the morning and night...well it already looks like nothing..its almost scary..like I'm starving her!...I'll try with the increased exercise..the only problem is..winter is just around the corner and when the snow falls..and it gets freezing cold out..well then..what do you guys suggest? ....I know I know..besides the food cutting..is there anything else or do I really have no choice at that point? *squirms*..

By the way, thank you for the previous advice :)...I just have a few more questions is all.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:02 pm

Have you though about a tredmill? Is there anyone in your area that offers indoor swimming for dogs? Do you have a laundry or utility room that you can set up a make-shify indoor spring pole?

Just some ideas...

Flyball if she would be into it... it is less work for you and the same exercise for her :)

I also know MANY dogs that have shed pounds on raw food... less unused carbs or such... We feed raw and find it to be wonderful.
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby gooeydog » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:23 am

You can also add some warm water to her food and let it soak for about 15-20 minutes before feeding, this'll make the food poofier (unless it's an oven baked food, then it doesn't seem to soak up the water as well), and she'll feel more fill (not to mention you won't feel as bad about cutting back her rations). Green beans and other fibrous veggies also make good belly fillers, feed raw, not cooked.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:44 am

Correction:

Deegan and Deuce both get 2 1/2 cups of food per day - I got mixed up and I was thinking of scoops instead of cups.

So yeah, they get 2 1/2 cups each and sometimes leave maybe 1/2 a cup in the bowl - And they're both around 60-65lbs.

My bad!
:tongue:
JaquelineC

Return to Health Issues