Raw food question (types of meats)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Raw food question (types of meats)

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:11 pm

I would like to do a half raw diet with my dogs - I was wondering if I could feed them liver and tounge and things by themselves(as a meal) or is it better to just give them the actual muscle meat. I wouldn't be giving them that all the time but is it ok to just give liver as a meal?

So the weight of the food doesn't count the bone, but what if they can eat the bone - does the weight count then?

The dogs are going to be very happy :))

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:15 pm

Bone has no caloric value, so no, the weight of the bone does not count. Bone is added to provide the essential calcium, magnesium and other minerals necessary for healthy bodies.

I suggest you do some more reading and make sure you're getting a balanced diet for your pups.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:16 pm

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:26 pm

The diet I follow, organ meat is only 5% of my dog's daily diet.
If you feed organ meat as an entire meal, make it only once a week that they get it or get organ meat period.
Boned meat and muscle meat are going to be the biggest amount of your dog's diet.
I feed one muscle meat meal a day and one boned meat meal a day. If she starts getting constipated, I cut back on the bone. Any meat meal I feed, if there isn't any bone, I substitue with crushed eggshells.
I also add in salmon oil, eggshells, olive oil (a drop or so), sea kelp, and a vitamin c supplement to her daily muscle meat meal.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:27 pm

I am going to buy a book and read up on it before jumping in :))

My dogs already eat plenty of fruits and veggies (especially veggies) they love plain leafy greens (spinach, lettuce anything) I don't feed them starchy veggies since I don't eat them either.

I eat a raw diet so they eat pretty much all the stuff that I eat and they LOVE it lol its not meals but little snacks - they get Canidae for their meals.

But I am going to have to read up on bone to meat ratios and such before starting with diet.

:)

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:21 pm

I do 2-3% of the dog's body wieght (or optimal body wieght if they could lose a little) each day. I do count the wiehgt of the bones and such because they do provided something and then how would I measure the weight if I had to de-bone everything (and that's really wasteful).

I've been doing this long enough now to not wiegh everything hard core. I may use it to double check but I've got a pretty good eye on what my dogs can handle per day/per week/per month.

Liver and Kidney are the most commonly found organs these days. Too much organs too soon can cause so bad poops so you want to build up. Franny and Hank can now do a meal of kidney, liver and heart with just softer poops but that hasn't always been the case.

We follow Tom Lonsdale's diet. www.rawmeatybones.com

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:28 pm

I found that website yesterday and was reading about the diet. I used the calculator to estimate how much they needed.
This morning I fed them raw chicken for breakfast - they didn't even think twice before they chowed down - then they were searching all over for more - they seemed hungry so I gave them a little more (as suggested 1/2 lb.) I think they really enjoy crunching the bones and such

They wern't all thirsty like they are after eating the dry dog food.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Usually dogs that eat a raw diet drink much less water than dogs that eat kibble.

I feed ground chicken w/ bone, beef (ground or chunks), buffalo (ground or chunks), green tripe which I buy ground up (dogs love this stinky stuff). The store where I shop sells tons of different meats like: emu, ostrich, venison, goat, beef, chicken, turkey, oxtails, pheasant, cornish hens, moose - there is probably more but I can't remember. These are all specifically packaged for dog food. It's so cool up here in Vancouver because so many people are feeding raw that we've got quite a few different stores that sell it.

You can also usually get a lot of this meat at the butcher for cheaper than somewhere that specializes in dog food. Also ask your local butcher if they will get it in for you if they don't have it on the shelf.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:07 pm

Can you feed ox tails?? My grocery store sells them as soup bones, but I worry that the dogs would swallow them whole...

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:15 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Can you feed ox tails?? My grocery store sells them as soup bones, but I worry that the dogs would swallow them whole...

Ox tails run about $8 for two here.
And they're not big. That's SO ridiculously priced to me. GAH.
I want to get some so badly for Ella, but not at that price.
I don't know, maybe for her Gotcha Day.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:25 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Can you feed ox tails?? My grocery store sells them as soup bones, but I worry that the dogs would swallow them whole...

I don't like the oxtails you find in grocery stores for that reason. If the dogs decided to swallow it whole - they could. Sometimes in "ethnic" markets, you can get the whoel thing uncut.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:09 pm

The ones I see in the store about 8 inches.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:09 pm

8 inches long? That would be awesome. The ones I see look like this:

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:12 pm

^^^^^ those are the oxtails that i find also, but i feed em anyway because of a couple reasons..... i supervise them while they eat when its something that is small and i taught them to chew and spit out instead of gulpping, and i freeze them before feeding it (usually as a treat btw) which has them working on it a little more than just chomping down....

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:48 pm

The ones that our local dog store sells are the whole thing not cut up into rings.

Return to “Health Issues”