Tree Sap

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Tree Sap

Postby Ranger » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:39 am

Does anyone know how to get tree sap off a dog, the vet said Mayonnaise but it didn't work. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Ranger

Postby pollypop » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:53 am

Peanut butter or vegetable oil would probably work. Oils tend to break the bonds of sticky stuff.

Also, if you're patient, ice would probably work too -- put the ice on the sap, let the sap harden up from freezing, pull sap off. I think that would work if there were a small amount a sap.
pollypop

Postby Copper's Mom » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:55 am

Copper always gets tree sap on him. I can't always get it off but i have used baby oil or vegtable oil. This sometimes helps - it just depends how much is on him! When he gets a bath i use lots of soap on the area with oil. It loosens up and you can pull it off. The warm water helps. You could always try shaving the area(with pet clippers only) if he/she's a real mess!! Good luck!
Copper's Mom
Newborn Bully

Postby sundaygirl » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:02 am

I've successfully used peanut butter and a fine toothcomb. This is how I discovered Luther liked peanut butter!

I know all about sap in the fur. . .our little yard has a big pine tree that is taking over. . .
sundaygirl

Postby Copper's Mom » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:04 am

Brilliant sudaygirl!!! I'll definitely try that one as Copper LOVES peanut butter! :thumbsup:
Copper's Mom
Newborn Bully

Postby blover27 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:10 am

dont worry chea...we all know your candle shines brightest :roll: roflmao
blover27

Postby sundaygirl » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:14 am

smarties all around! :))

I usually put a dab on his nose for him to work on while I try to get it out of his fur. . .otherwise he licks it off before I can comb the darn sap out! lol
sundaygirl

Postby Copper's Mom » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:23 am

oh i'm so sorry. the flea comb part was brilliant! I'm sure you are brilliant as well. I'm new here, so when i find something from you i like, i'll let you know how brilliant you are too!!!
Copper's Mom
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues