ear cropping age

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

ear cropping age

Postby millerjd » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:56 pm

As rediculous as this sounds i need some advice. I have a six month old pit and my best friend has a 4 month. I love my puppy's ears (but i have an account to this site and she doesnt) what is the oldest age when the ears could get docked and apx price? She wanted me to ask. This sounds not true, but irrleveant, i am not interested as she. I have an all white pit with a sweet tail and ears
millerjd
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:58 pm

12-14 weeks is the latest I believe... there's no way you could get them to stand properly at 6 months of age.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:33 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:12-14 weeks is the latest I believe... there's no way you could get them to stand properly at 6 months of age.

Her puppy is 4 mos. (the one who wants them cropped). If I were you I'd tell her NO LATER than 14 weeks... ;)
msvette2u

Postby crazy4pits » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:32 am

Depending on the vet some say between 12 and 16 wks of age for ears to be cropped. Or there is no guarntee they will stand.
crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:03 am

The oldest is usually 16 weeks , but there are some vets that will do it later. You'd have to search for a vet willing to do it and have them eval if they think the ears would stand and also talk about the kind of crop that would work as they may have to get a shorter crop depending on the ear leather and due to the dog's age.

ear cropping on average goes 250 and up depending on the state you are in the age of the dog and the vet
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby egghead » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:12-14 weeks is the latest I believe... there's no way you could get them to stand properly at 6 months of age.

so, you shouldn't even do it if the dog is over 14 weeks old? That's interesting. For me personally, I love the natural floppy ears.... :)
egghead
Adolescent Bully

Postby Hoss » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:57 pm

Most vets won't do it after 16 weeks or so, they all seem to have their own cut-off limits, and it matters on the dog in question, some can be cropped a bit later, some not. Also depends on the length of cut, some dogs at 2 years old could have the right structure to have a super short crop.
Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:03 pm

Michele wrote:

so, you shouldn't even do it if the dog is over 14 weeks old? That's interesting. For me personally, I love the natural floppy ears.... :)

That honestly isn't true;it is recommended and preffered it be done sooner , it does not mean that an older dog can't be done and stand. It depends on other factors like the ear leather and how the ears sit already and the vet. I believe Lora had one done later and so did Charles who used to be a member here as well as a few other show people I know. It is just better done at the younger age because not all will stand, but some will
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby biznutz » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:07 am

mine got his cropped at about 5 months for about $190. they heeled fast and stayed up.
biznutz

Return to Health Issues