Parvo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Parvo

Postby dopeychristy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:20 am

I am getting really frightened because I have just heard that even puppies who have been vaccinated can aquire parvo. Is this true? I live in the country and there are so many loose dogs always running on to my land, I pray this is not the case.
dopeychristy

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:21 pm

The vaccination helps to avoid second-hand exposure VERY well (examlpe, you come into contact with it and then your dog comes into contact with you, or an object, the ground, etc is infected by a dog with parvo and your dog comes into contact with that...) If you put your dog in a crate or kennel with a dog with Parvo... maybe they would get it. It is possible. The higher and longer the exposure, the more likelyhood they will get it. The vaccinations are not 100% protection, but it is as close as you can get. I would not be too concerned about parvo if your dog(s) are vaccinated... but i would be concerned about having dogs roaming onto your land in general...
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby dopeychristy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:50 pm

Steph-n-Wolf wrote:The vaccination helps to avoid second-hand exposure VERY well (examlpe, you come into contact with it and then your dog comes into contact with you, or an object, the ground, etc is infected by a dog with parvo and your dog comes into contact with that...) If you put your dog in a crate or kennel with a dog with Parvo... maybe they would get it. It is possible. The higher and longer the exposure, the more likelyhood they will get it. The vaccinations are not 100% protection, but it is as close as you can get. I would not be too concerned about parvo if your dog(s) are vaccinated... but i would be concerned about having dogs roaming onto your land in general...

I am concerned with it. Unfortunately there is NO leash law here in Mitchell County Georgia where I live. I am not sure what I can do about these dogs roaming short of shoot them and guess what...I could never shoot a dog! Well I guess if a dog were killing one of my dogs or kids I could but not for just walking around on my land! I do go out and yell at the dogs when I see them and my husband has chased them off with a horse whip in the past. I am hoping that eventually they will get the idea that this is not their land to wander on. I'm not holding my breathe.
dopeychristy

Return to Health Issues