Gross stuff you feed your dog...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Gross stuff you feed your dog...

Postby JB » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:57 am

So I fed my dog the grossest thing in the world yesterday. Cow tongue. I asked my butcher for a cheap and nasty cut, so he ordered me a tongue. The thing weighed 2 kilos and change (almost 5 pounds for you imperial clowns). It cost about 2 bucks a pound Canadian, so that's like, 3 cents american (it's actually about a buck fifty) . I hacked it up into about 8 portions and gave her one of them last night. She followed me around, giving me the puppy dog eyes for the rest of the night. She LOVED it, didn't have the runs and it was pretty cheap. The only downside was chopping the thing up. I haven't eaten meat for over 10 years, so this was quite the adventure for me. The thing's texture is such that you're reminded how fragile and precious to you your own tounge is when you're cutting through it. I almost yacked. My wife (also a veggie) was not impressed. She said she likes the dog getting stuff like that but she'll have nothing to do with it.

I'm looking for some other gross feeding ideas for the mutt. Have any?
JB

Postby K » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:00 am

I think Tounge is bad...but I could probably touch it..whereas Tripe...no...and no...no no bad bad...oh dear :yucky:
K

Postby blover27 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:12 am

nothing gross from me...

The thing weighed 2 kilos and change (almost 5 pounds for you imperial clowns). It cost about 2 bucks a pound Canadian, so that's like, 3 cents american (it's actually about a buck fifty) .

you're pretty funny JB..... "3 cents". roflmao i love that monopoly money you guys have lol
blover27

Postby barbponys » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:33 am

Man JB, I LOVE the idea of paying 3 cents for tongue!! lol
Tripe is good for them, very gross though. Heart is great, I've fed just about every organ meat. Some is less appealing than others. It's easy with chicken since it's incorporated with the carcass. With beef, I just look at the end of the meat case, there's usually organ meat and soup bones right there.
I discovered recently that the butcher at the "high end" grocer I go to has whole cow femurs in the freezer. Usually like 6 of them. They will cut them to order and cost about 12 bucks, that's about 150 Canadian lol. I'm going to pick one up today on my way home. I have him cut it into 6 pieces, they weigh like 10 frickin pounds!!! I was shocked when he opened the box and pulled the damn thing out whole, I just looked at it imagining little Goliath trying to chew on something that was bigger than him roflmao
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby blover27 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:42 am

hey pat since you're here now I wanted to ask you a quick question...I'm planning my football Sunday menu and buffalo wings are on it...is it ok to feed jack raw chicken wings? I think I saw it was ok but I keep remembering a time when I had a chicken bone stuck in my throat....man that was annoying and dont want to subject him to that :))
blover27

Postby phez718 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:34 am

I believe tripe is either (sheep?)intestines or stomach. I can't remember
Last edited by phez718 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
phez718

Postby damienApbt » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:55 am

i think tripe is the stomach casing or liner. either way its fricken nastey, especialy when the make a soup out of it.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby JB » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:20 am

damienApbt wrote:i think tripe is the stomach casing or liner. either way its fricken nastey, especialy when the make a soup out of it.

That's gross. I'm not giving that to my dog.

What about fish. What kinda fish do you give your mutts?
JB

Postby Awesome_PIT » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:35 am

JB wrote:
damienApbt wrote:i think tripe is the stomach casing or liner. either way its fricken nastey, especialy when the make a soup out of it.

That's gross. I'm not giving that to my dog.

What about fish. What kinda fish do you give your mutts?

Its not that bad.. :oops: I dont eat it but im Italian so its around every once ina while. If you could make it through cutting a tongue tripe isnt any worse..
Awesome_PIT

Postby pollypop » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:59 am

The oddest thing I ever fed my dog was pork uterus. It wasn't that it was gross, but the supermarket had it packed in some kind of liquid which made it smell weird. Hmm.

Pork feet were also a strange thing -- they look suspiciously like little human arms that are missing their limbs. The dogs loved them, though, and spent hours chewing happily. Hey, for dogs who can gulp down huge beef neck chunks within minutes, something that takes hours is happily received. That's two hours they aren't bothering each other, or me, or the cats! Woo!

P.S. Tripe is the muscular stomach lining of a cow. Well, actually it can be the stomach lining of several different ruminants, including sheep, but usually when people talk about tripe they're referring to cow stomach.
Last edited by pollypop on Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pollypop

Postby K » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:04 am

Yes stomach lining..and sometime....sometimes...oh lordy...its still greeeeeen :yucky:
K

Postby megan203 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:33 am

when I lived in Paris, there was a market right outside my apartment on thursdays and I always had to pass the guy who was selling tripe on my way to the cheese guy. It looked like a type of soup they were selling, but I never asked because I was kinda afraid of what the answer would be. Although, the soup did look kinda tasty.
megan203

Postby JaquelineC » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:09 pm

Tripe that is intended for human consumption is very different than actual 'raw' tripe - Green Tripe it's called.

I guarantee you that no green tripe will ever look 'tasty' to a rational human being - The smell alone was enough to just about knock me on my ass gagging... lol

Green Tripe
JaquelineC

Postby megan203 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that I'm a rational human being (although there are those who would disagree with that). I always get confused by tripe, so generally try to stay away from it just to be on the safe side.
megan203

Postby JaquelineC » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:17 pm

megan203 wrote:I'm pretty sure that I'm a rational human being (although there are those who would disagree with that). I always get confused by tripe, so generally try to stay away from it just to be on the safe side.

lol - I wasn't trying to insult you, just saying that the stuff you saw that looked tasty was probably intended for human consumption, and was not the same kind of tripe you'd feed your dog.
JaquelineC

Next

Return to Health Issues