Growth INSIDE the mouth

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Did your dog ever have a growth of any sort, and did it go away by itself?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:42 pm

Yes; but I had to have it removed
No votes
Yes; but it went away by itself
30%
Nope
70%

Total votes : 10

Growth INSIDE the mouth

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:42 pm

Hi guys...
I have a little bit of a problem. Probably about three days ago I was brushing Messina's teeth and I noticed this round white bump on the inside of her lip...I couldn't figure out what it was...it looks like a ball of cotton...very soft looking and round...and a creamy white..like I said..similar to a small ball of cotton (I guess you can compare the size to a large ladybug?).

Anyways...Messina has had some growths before..one on her elbow that went away by itself after a few months..and one on her toe..which I waited for it to go away but after about 4 months decided to simply remove..I was very happy when the doctor did a local freeze on her toe instead of operating on her while she was asleep (I HATE anesthetic (sp?))

So..I went to the vet with her yesterday and he told me that I should wait for a few months and it should go away...he said it looks like a wart type growth..but as far as I know, warts don't just go away..you have to burn them or remove them...so I was a little confused by that..but he told me to wait..

Have you guys ever had anything like that grow inside your dogs mouth? He said its not cancerous or anything...and that I shouldn't really worry...and to be honest..the only thing that I'm worried about is having to get it removed..I would hate the thought of having her put asleep to get it operated on...because I know they couldn't do a local on the inside of her mouth..that would be difficult without her moving around too much I'm sure.

What do you guys think...do those kinds of wart thingies go away? :(
(sorry about the dreadfully long post)
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:06 pm

Wow..nobody? :(
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Odnarb » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:09 am

Dogs do get oral warts that just go away, so what your vet told you isn't out of line.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Motodiva » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:23 am

I'm sorry, I have NO idea. Warts do sometimes go away, so that's a thought. I'm sure it will be fine!
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Kara » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:01 am

“DOES MY DOG HAVE WARTS?”

Certain viruses are able to cause the growth of small round skin tumors that are commonly referred to as warts. Everyone who has every seen a drawing of a fairy tale witch knows what warts look like so when the family dog develops small round skin growths, many people assume these are harmless warts. In reality, there are many types of small round skin growths and it is important for them to be examined as some such growths may not actually be innocuous viral warts. Most growths must be removed and biopsied before they can be identified, though in some cases the viral papilloma has an obvious appearance and can be identified visually.

Dogs actually can get viral warts, but not from the same viruses that cause human warts. Dogs do not get warts from people, and people can’t get warts from dogs.

In dogs, we do not call these growths “warts;” we use the more formal term “viral papilloma.” These are benign skin tumors caused by the canine oral papillomavirus.

WHAT DO THESE PAPILLOMAS LOOK LIKE?

Photo provided by
Animal Dermatology Specialty Clinic

Viral papillomas are round but often have a rough, almost jagged surface reminiscent of a sea anemone or a cauliflower. They occur usually on the lips and muzzle of a young dog (usually less than 2 years of age). Less commonly, papillomas can occur on the eyelids and even the surface of the eye or between the toes. Usually they occur in groups rather than as solitary growths.

HOW IS THIS VIRUS TRANSMITTED?

The infection is transmitted via contact with the papillomas on an infected dog. The incubation period is 1-2 months. This virus can only be spread among dogs. It is not contagious to other pets or to humans. To become infected, the dog generally needs an immature immune system, thus this infection is primarily one of young dogs and puppies. Beyond this, transmission details are sketchy. It is not known whether the infected dog must actually show visible lesions to be contagious, nor how long after regression of lesions contagion is still of concern.

ARE VIRAL PAPILLOMAS DANGEROUS?

Not really. They should go away on their own as the dog’s immune system matures and generates a response against the papillomavirus. There have been two cases published where viral papillomas progressed to malignancy but this is extremely rare and by no means the usual course of the infection. Typically, it takes 1-5 months for papillomas to regress with oral growths tending to regress sooner than ocular growths. Occasionally some papillomas will stay permanently.

Sometimes oral papillomas can become infected with bacteria of the mouth. Antibiotics will be needed in such cases to control the pain, swelling, and bad breath.

TREATMENT

In most cases, treatment is unnecessary; one simply allows the papillomas to go away on their own. Occasionally an unfortunate dog will have a huge number of tumors, so many that consuming food becomes a problem. Tumors can be surgically removed or frozen off cryogenically. Sometimes crushing several growths seems to stimulate the host’s immune system to assist in the tumor regression process. In humans, anti-viral doses of interferon have been used to treat severe cases of warts and this treatment is also available for severely infected dogs. Sometimes some of the warts can be removed and made into a “vaccine” which is felt to stimulate the immune system in removing the tumors, though such vaccines do not seem to be as effective as one might want. Obviously such treatments should be performed by a veterinarian; do not attempt freezing, cutting or crushing of growths on your own.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ca ... lomas.html
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby elegy » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:04 pm

to be honest, if it were my dog i'd have it removed and a histopath done. my parents' dog died from metastatic cancer from a squamous cell carcinoma in his mouth. i admit this may be over the top, but i'd much rather be safe than sorry.

if your dog is healthy, the risks of anesthesia, while there, are low.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby pitbulliest » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:15 pm

Well I'm not sure what to do..it just appeared a little while ago and the vet said to leave it for a few months and it should go away...I dunno..like I said, she's had some on her elbow and one on her toe that was buggin me so I removed it..

Thanks for the info guys...I'm thinking maybe I should wait it out for awhile according to most of your opinions then?
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues