allergies............help

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lovemylucy
Super Bully

allergies............help

Postby lovemylucy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:05 pm

i have tried monkey on several different foods and still his tummy is so red, inflamed, and irritated at times............even his mouth (muzzle) gets red...........the only thing that helps is a cortisone shot, but he can't keep getting those.....any ideas on anything else he ould be allergic to?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:08 pm

I would suggest you get him tested for environmental allergies.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Dogs can become allergic to some ingredients of food, as well as enviromental things.
I used the ALLERGY diet in this book,it saved my dog (I am convinced) as my dog is allergic to the PROTEIN base of almost every food out there.
But it helps rule stuff out to do the allergy diet..and if he is still having allergy issues, I would as Allie said do the "rast" blood testing.
Some dogs can become or are allergic to Corn, or SweetPotatos and many things used in dog foods.

good luck!

here is a link to see the book, I know Barnes and Nobles and most book stores carry it too.

http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Complet ... F8&s=books

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Allergies are VERY complicated... and take time and effort to figure them out.

You have 2 choices to find out what your dog is allergic to, and you may need to do both.

First, you need to get rid of any secondary infections before doing any testing. This means you need to see a vet experienced with skin issues. You may need to do twice weekly baths for yeast and 3-6 WEEKS of antibiotics to clear any secondary infections.

Then, if you think your pup has environmental allergies (Much more common, sometimes itchy all the time, but worse during certain seasons) you should get him allergy tested. Either the serum test or the intradermal tests are fine. These tests WILL NOT determine if your dog has food allergies.

If the tests come back positive, you can either give shots to try to get rid of the allergies, or you can take steps to avoid what he's allergic to and control secondary infections.

If you think your dog might have food allergies (usually older dogs, itchy all year round) then you need to do a TRUE FOOD TRIAL. This is twelve weeks of ONE protein that he's NEVER had before (kangaroo, duck, venison) and ONE carbohydrate (potato or oats) that the dog hasn't had before. You can do a homecooked or a commercial diet. YOU CAN NOT GIVE YOUR DOG ANYTHING ELSE FOR TWELVE WEEKS! I cannot stress this enough. No rawhides, no flavored medicines (heartguard), no buiscuits, no cheese, no countersurfing or stealing food from other dogs... absolutely nothing other than those two food items.

If your dog improves at the end of the 12 weeks (don't give up halfway) then you can either leave him on this diet plan for life, or you can test him, one food at a time for 2 weeks at a time, to determine what he is allergic to.

lovemylucy
Super Bully

Postby lovemylucy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:54 pm

wow............sounds like i have my work cut out for me!!! the weird thing is that he can be fine for weeks an dthen one day his belly and mouth will just be red..!! (or real pink rather).............ok well i hope i can get this figured out...thanks

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 pm

any connection at all with his belly being red? Such as playing in tall grass, or getting special treats? Those small clues can save you a lot of time and money...

I guessed wrong with my pup (he has food allergies), but in the end I have learned enough from the experience to make it worth it.

If you have any other questions, I've been through everything I listed, so I can answer any questions you have in more detail if you need it.

lovemylucy
Super Bully

Postby lovemylucy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:09 pm

thanks .i was starting to think maybe the grass..but i am wondering how long he would have to have no contact with grass for it to clear up? all the food he has been on has been single protein and single carb.....he has had some rawhide lately...i think i will take away all treats and keep him off grass....and take him to doc to see if he has a secondary inf

Itsapitty
Super Bully

Postby Itsapitty » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Olive had some skin allergies which only seemed to improve with antibiotics & steroids (which of course I didn't want to have to use every time she got an outbreak). I couldn't figure out whether they were food or environmental or what. We found a homeopathic vet and she really helped clear up Olive's skin using homeopathic remedies and diet changes. We haven't had an outbreak in five months now. Here's a list of homeopathic vets:
http://www.drpitcairn.com/referrals/anhc_referrals.html

lilypants
Newborn Bully

Postby lilypants » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 pm

We have the same problem with Lily. We changed her food, it's super expensive but eliminated 90% of her problems. this was after I'd tried every diet out there. she still is super itchy and licks herself all the time and it's probably enviromental, but the vets all seem to think the allergen tests are so vague and even if they do narrow it down, desensitization rarely works, so they are suggesting using antihistamines and steroids for flare ups.
I would get a few opinions before doing the tests, they're expensive and from what I've heard, don't often work. I also hate to suggest to anyone to buy $130 a bag dog food, but seriously, in the long run it's saved us so much grief, and repeated vet visits we happily pay for it now! maybe you could see if a vet quality allergen food helps?
good luck
:sad:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:58 pm

What? allergen tests aren't specific and desensitization rarely works?? Um... I think its time to see a dermatologist.

The serum tests and intradermal testing are specific enough to make them worth their while. They can't be that horrible if desensitization based on those tests is 70% effective.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 pm

We had serum testing done on Sidney and have been giving her shots for months now. Her hair has begun to fill in, her staph infections have completely gone away, and the foot itching has lessened dramatically. However, we still are battling with her ear infections. All in all, I say it was completely worth it. And the serum testing cost us $90. The shots cost approx. $160 every six months.

Return to “Health Issues”