Vegan Pits

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitbullKisses4me

Vegan Pits

Postby PitbullKisses4me » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:26 am

Anyone else feed their pit(s) a Vegan diet? My current dogs thrive on theirs and have for a while. They are the picture of health. We'll be feeding Helen the same food as the shelter for a while (ewww gross, it's a terrible brand) so as not to upset her stomach, then we'll be switching her to the Nature's Recipe Vegetarian kibble. I was just curious to know if there were others out there. And no, I don't want a debate lol I can easily prove my dogs are very healthy on their Vegan diet, as am I :))

bullylady
Super Bully

Postby bullylady » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:42 am

Great to hear that your dogs are doing well on a no meat diet. Humans can do very well on no meat/dairy, as I am a vegetarian. I do not know anyone who does NOT feed their dog meat.
I can say, though, that dog's diet and digestion revolves around meat. I would think of it as rather disturbing and unnatural to not feed our dogs what they NEED and what they need to eat is MEAT.
I know all the arguements against not eating meat, but humans are much different than our dogs, who are predatory carnivores ie. in their genetic coding to hunt game and eat MEAT. I buy local, organic meat to feed my pets to get around a lot of commercial meat controversies.
Just my 2 cents.

PitbullKisses4me

Postby PitbullKisses4me » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:45 am

I can understand the arguements and I gave it lots of thought :) They have massive muscles, gleaming coats, and high energy (HA well not the Whippet, but he's a Whippet LOL, world's laziest dog, and he was just as Lazy on the BATF diet and on Innova EVO, etc). I have a nine month old Golden who has IMPROVED greatly on his Vegan diet. No more skin problems... yay!

PitbullKisses4me

Postby PitbullKisses4me » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:46 am

BARF* oops type :)

48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:42 am

oh lord

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:57 am

I'm curious as to why you decided to select a vegan diet for your dogs? Especially after having fed your dogs EVO and Barf... its just one spectrum to the other...

In this day in age, there's absolutely no reason why a dog can't do well on a meat-free diet, if thats what you choose. Most people here disagree with me, but grains are not the evil cancer and allergy causing agent many believe them to be. Even vegan diets can have complete amino acid profiles and plenty of protein and nutrients.

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:22 pm

Do you feed vegan because your dogs are allergic or sensitive to other foods you've tried, or because you're a vegan?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:25 pm

48lawsofpower wrote:oh lord

48 and I are probably SUCH different people in real life but I agree with him on quite a few things, this one included -

oh lord!

48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27 pm

FransterDoo wrote:

48 and I are probably SUCH different people in real life but I agree with him on quite a few things, this one included -

oh lord!

lol @ emphasizing SUCH

am I that bad? ;)

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:39 pm

FransterDoo wrote:

oh lord!

No way I think you two are twins! roflmao

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Rumpley wrote:Do you feed vegan because your dogs are allergic or sensitive to other foods you've tried, or because you're a vegan?

I know the OP is not looking to start a debate, but I am also curious as to what reasoning they have behind feeding a vegan diet.

bboypho
Adolescent Bully

Postby bboypho » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:10 pm

way out of left field but my relatives always told me this story about how there was this rural Buddhist monastary in Vietnam where one of the monks adopted a tiger cub and all he it was fed was what the monks ate---rice, tofu, vegetables etc. Supposedly it became somewhat of a tourist attraction and people would come and see the "nice" vegetarian tiger.

i wonder how it would've survived :dunno:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I'm curious as to why you decided to select a vegan diet for your dogs? Especially after having fed your dogs EVO and Barf... its just one spectrum to the other...

I have no idea what the OP thinks of this, but I actually don't think they're so far apart as one might think. Personally, I know more vegetarians/vegans who feed raw than I do meat eaters. I think they're linked by an interest in a more holistic approach to health, which might lead to one to feed raw or to adopt the same diet for their dog as they've choosen for themselves. My parents, for example, fed their dog a vegetarian diet for a while because they were pretty intense vegans and that's what made sense to them given their views of eating, food production, etc. (they did eventually change their minds and start feeding the dog meat though)

All that said, although I totally acknowledge the ability of dogs to be healthy on a well designed vegetarian diet, in my mind the logical extension of my own feelings on animals is being respectful of what they were built to eat, which means gettting over my own squimishness of meat (thanks to the strictly vegan parents lol ) to feed my dogs appropriately.

I would be really intersted to know though, why PitbullKisses4me would choose a veggie kibble over a fresher diet, like something homecooked or raw? Why does the kibble make more sense? .......and just incase this sounds like I'm fishing for something, I'm not, I'm sincerly interested.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Well said, pitgrrl.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:36 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:

oh lord!

No way I think you two are twins! roflmao

Well if Steph thinks so - then it must be true! lol

Return to “Health Issues”