I've had it with Timberwolf!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

I've had it with Timberwolf!

Postby dawnapbt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:46 pm

Great food, but boy is it making Savvy and Tauri gassy. I just spent a week and half adding some natural plain yogurt to their diet to help... and that has angered the gas. It has gone on the offensive. (Lactose intolerance, anyone?)

So, I was at Costco the other day and saw the ORGANIC CHICKEN food Costco offers, looked at the price ($17/25lbs) and picked up a bag.

Wish me luck! My nose can't take it, anymore!

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:15 pm

When I switched my old dog from a lamb food to a chicken food, he went to gassy central!

Maybe try changing the protein source?

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Oh I cycle through TW foods. This one is the fish one, and they are more gassy on this one, but they are gassy on all.

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:41 pm

Lamb = gas for us.

We feel the Elk & salmon with the least gas.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 pm

We did the Elk, then tried the Ocean Blue. Then said to hell with it.....we are switching too.

We can't take the gas either with TW.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:07 pm

Lola has very little gas on the Nature's Variety Venison formula. If she's got it, it's because she ate an out-of-the-norm snack. You might want to give it a try.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:10 pm

I like the Nature's Variety as well. I rotate through the two brands (TW and NV) but they're less gassy on the NV and the dogs seem to like it a bit more. I'm going to stop buying the chicken flavor because that seems to make Daisy lick her feet.

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:29 pm

Go raw.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:35 pm

I have gone raw before. It actually didn't eliminate the gas anymore than a good kibble. TW, however, just makes the gas worse.

I do also supplement with raw currently.

Raw is great, but it's not a cure for everything under the sun :)

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:44 pm

I had a very bad gas problem once that was completely eliminated by raw. This was a while back and since then I have only fed raw to all my dogs and never had a gas problem again. Maybe it's correlated, maybe not. I have never heard of a dog with very bad gas problems who was fed a raw diet based on meat he/she was not allergic to, although I'm sure it's possible.

Gas is typically caused either by a lot of air in the digestive tract or, more commonly, undigested food that made it down the intestine. Raw meat is very well tolerated and digested by dogs, and therefore causes much less gas than processed foods. Much less. Also, the stool stinks much less and is smaller in size because the meat tends to be digested and absorbed so well in the stomach.

Hmmm... If your dog still had very bad gas with raw, I wonder what the problem is. Maybe the raw meat you were feeding was a type of meat that triggered an allergy or your dog was somehow intolerant of.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:46 pm

Well, I have a boxer. It doesn't seem to matter what you put into them, it always comes out smelling like it's gone through Cleveland first.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:47 pm

Actually, my dogs don't have "very bad gas" except on TW.... :) They have GAS with all foods, though, raw included.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:53 am

My dogs are terribly gassy on Bison but the Elk seems to agree with them. You have to keep in mind anything additional to the kibble that you are feeding, such as treats.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:43 am

I guess it depends on the dog. It doesn't bother mone at all. No gas here

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:18 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:I guess it depends on the dog. It doesn't bother mine at all. No gas here

Yep. Major has gas problems. Truffles and Onyx do not. They all eat the same. TW or raw.

Return to “Health Issues”