weight control dog food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
miette
Adolescent Bully

weight control dog food

Postby miette » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:15 pm

Would anyone out there recommend a good quality weight control dry food? Or should I just stick w/ good quality and ease up on portions?
Sunny NEEDS to lose weight...she's pretty much a complete couch potatoe and it's hard to get her moving. She was chained outside and left alone most of her life, so she's pretty much anti-outside for the most part.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Feeding a quality food and regulating portions is definately the best place to start. If that fails, then you can try a diet food later. Start taking her on a 30 minute walk every day, and reduce her food by 10-25%. You should see a 2% weight loss weekly. Any faster than that is too fast. Keep track of her weight and progress and adjust her food an excercise accordingly.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:39 pm

I gave up on low calorie food for Jaydee. I felt like it didn't have enough protein and it didn't work anyway. I heard it was a scam anyway.

I try to go with a lower calorie food. I find Wellness has less calories than some other brands. It's kind of expensive, but you feed them less (our dogs get one cup twice a day) All my dogs are on Wellness fish and sweet potato and seem to do well on it, no gas, losing weight, and love the taste.

Your vet should tell you how much Sunny should weigh, and how much she needs to lose.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:59 am

When I first put my dogs on TW two of them needed to lose a couple pounds and the TW totally did the trick and they've been on it now for 1.5 years and the weight is stable at a perfect weight.

CALLEN329
Adolescent Bully

Postby CALLEN329 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:44 am

I think of it this way, would you rather live on Lean Cuisine or eat less of the things you REALLY enjoy.

Those weight loss formulas only are more processed and have more fillers. I think less of a high quality is absolutely the best way to go.

Just my .02

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56 am

Those weight loss formulas only are more processed and have more fillers. I think less of a high quality is absolutely the best way to go.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that. I did put one of my girls on a Walthams weight-loss food for a year, and combined with regular exercise it did the trick.. she lost 10 pounds and is at the perfect weight now. But her coat lost ALL of its luster, her skin became dry and flaky, and she just didn't seem to be getting the nutrients she needed. Now I've got her on Timberwolf and experimenting with the right amount to make sure she doesn't put the weight back on. If I could do it again I would have skipped the weight-loss food and just fed her less of a higher quality kibble.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 am

Our senior girl (who has the slooooow labrador metabolism), eats about 1.5 a day of Canidae. I'm very happy we were able to take the pounds off her, especially since she's getting up there in years. I really prefer to feed all of my dogs the same food, if I can. So far with Canidae, it's possible. :thumbsup:

miette
Adolescent Bully

exactly

Postby miette » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:16 am

FLAKY/DRY COAT!!!

That's her problem...her coat is flaky like dandruff. I've incorportating an occasional egg, plain cooked chicken, or even some white rice every other day in her meals or as a substitute. Her color is a beautiful red/brown/black brindle and I would love it if I could have her lose the weight and keep her coat shiny! Since we are fosters, the rescue provides food: right now it's purina weight control. If we decide to adopt, I think I'll slowly switch her to the wellness. I've been researching that food and it seems to come recommended on the forum.

camella
Adolescent Bully

Postby camella » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:33 am

You could also try Natural Balance reduced calorie, i've had Camella (who just turned 8 this year) on it for the past 6 months or so, with that and more exercise than before she's at a good weight and her coat is soft like a velvet teddybear, people can't stop petting her! :)

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Re: exactly

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:13 pm

miette wrote: Since we are fosters, the rescue provides food: right now it's purina weight control.

Ummm.... you may have just explained the problem right there.

Maybe talk to the rescue about switching food. This will probably make all the difference. Get her a high quality kibble, feed less, and that will probably fix the problem right up (not to mention, it will be cheaper in the long run).

If this is not an option, try adding omega 3's like grizzly salmon oil.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Re: exactly

Postby Linariel » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:28 pm

miette wrote:FLAKY/DRY COAT!!!

That's her problem...her coat is flaky like dandruff. I've incorportating an occasional egg, plain cooked chicken, or even some white rice every other day in her meals or as a substitute. Her color is a beautiful red/brown/black brindle and I would love it if I could have her lose the weight and keep her coat shiny! Since we are fosters, the rescue provides food: right now it's purina weight control. If we decide to adopt, I think I'll slowly switch her to the wellness. I've been researching that food and it seems to come recommended on the forum.

For the same price, the rescue could invest in Costco Kirkland Signature dog food. It's awesome food, and it's about $16 for 40 lbs. They could probably use a membership there for other things, too.

Here is the Purina Fit and Trim Healthy Weight food:

Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, soybean hulls*,
corn germ meal, corn gluten meal, turkey by-product meal, animal digest, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), meat and bone meal, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2)...

You'll notice there's hardly any meat at all. Dogs weren't meant to eat corn and wheat. They're also two of the most common allergens.

Here's the Kirkland brand:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim mild, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride,

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:31 pm

Do you know there is now a pill for obese dogs? Freakin' ridiculous. :po:

miette
Adolescent Bully

costco

Postby miette » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:43 pm

NO WAY!!! I had no idea...there is one 5 minutes from our house and my husband and I were toying w/ the idea of getting a membership. I'll have to check out that brand.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”