Please read if you feed raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Please read if you feed raw

Postby mnp13 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:54 pm

For the members who feed raw in the vicinity of western New York:

Many of you know that I am a member of a farm group that has certified organic, pasture raised beef. The farmers recently had a downed cow go to the butcher.

What is a downed cow? The legal definition is any cow that can't get to the slaughter house on its own power. In the 'modern' farm there are few 'downed cows' because it is legal to shoot the animal full of pain killers, antibiotics and almost anything else needed to get the cow to walk itself in. In the organic farming world none of that is allowed; if a cow is injured and can't walk that cow is considered 'down' and can not be sold for human consumption.

The cow in question had a bad leg injury, but was otherwise fine.

The meat from a downed cow is different than the meat from a non-injured animal. When an animal is injured they produce adrenaline, etc and that changes the texture/flavor of the meat. It processes differently as well. There is nothing 'wrong' with it per say, but it is not 'prime' meat anymore.

The farmer can process the meat from a downed cow and eat it (because they own the cow), but can not sell it for people to eat.

So that's the background....

and here's the point of the story:

They now have a few hundred pounds of organic, pasture raised, ground beef that is available for $1.75 a pound (this just covers the cost of the cow and the butcher fees. If you want a lot of it, it may be cheaper.) in 5 pound packs. If you are interested in any please PM me. I live near Rochester, NY and you would have to come and pick it up from me.

Thanks,

Michelle
mnp13

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:07 pm

thanks for the info. i don't feed my dog any raw meat its too expensive and i don't like the idea of it. (don't know why just don't) i know that's its really really good for dogs but i don't like the idea of it at all.
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby mnp13 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:45 am

bump
mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:48 pm

bump again!
mnp13

Return to Health Issues