2 lbs!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
miette
Adolescent Bully

2 lbs!

Postby miette » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:09 pm

It's been two weeks of dieting/excersise and Sunny's lost 2 lbs. I'm really excited...only 20 more to go :frown: But she'll get there.
B/c the rescue provides food and it limited in options (most of the food is donated)...I have to stick to the Purina Weight Control for now. Wouldn't be my first choice, but if we adopt her we'll def. switch. I cut her amount down by a whole cup...she went from 2/day to only one. But I've been supplementing the food with fresh ground beef mixed with white rice...or plain cooked chicken, etc. And instead of the biscuits she came with, her treats now are peanut butter, yogurt, or some organic tiny bacon treats. I'm doing the best I can b/c I am limited as a foster, but I'm so stoked about the 2 lbs and her coat is much shiner too!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Congratulations!!! Good work!

Be careful how fast you cut the weight off her. She shouldn't lose more than 2% of her body weight per week. I don't know how much she weighs, so you may be doing just fine... I just thought I'd mention it so you had a guideline to work with.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Feeding her green beans is a great way to make her full without ruining her diet.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:45 pm

My concern with weight control formulas is they are loaded with carbs aren't they? Usually it is better to just feed a regular food, but simply decrease the amount. And like Murfins said, stuff like green beans is a healthy treat.

It will seem like forever, but you'll get there. :thumbsup:

~Lindsay~

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:53 pm

Ground beef might not be the best for weight loss either, its one of the fattier meats. Maybe chicken?

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:13 pm

TWENTY more to go?? How fat was she? I mean, that is a huge percentage of overall bodyweight to be losing.

Remember diet is only half the battle in weight loss. Exercise is a critical component.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:03 pm

Do you have any pictures of Sunny? 20 LBS seems like alot of weight to lose.

miette
Adolescent Bully

questions

Postby miette » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Okay...
As for the weight control food, I don't have a choice and neither does the rescue. most of the food is from donations. I give her chicken or beef with white rice as a healthy supplement. We have been excersising, but Sunny's front legs were broken as a puppy and never reset. She can walk for about 10 minutes, and the pain sets in and she becomes sluggish. She also can't go up or down our stairs. Her activity is limited due to her leg condition and the food is limited b/c we are fosters. We are strongly considering adopting her and her kibble will change for sure. She isn't a typical case. Sunny went from starving, fleas, neglected, etc just a year ago, to loved and unfortunetely overweight a year later. Her rescue fed her appropriately, but her activity level is so limited and she gained a lot of weight quickly. The vet feels that 40 lbs is healthy for her. She is VERY small for a Pit.
I hope the 1lb/per week weight loss keeps up. It seems gradual and healthy for a Pit.

Given these circumstances, all advice is appreciated. Thanks Everyone.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:09 pm

I understand that she is a foster dog but if you are considering adopting her and then switching her food, why can you not switch her now on your own dime, as her foster??

Come warmer weather, swimming would be a great option for her because she won't have to carry any weight on her legs.

Others may disagree here but I think you would be far better off giving her brown ricer over white rice. If you insist on feeding her ground beef, rinsing it will help cut down on the fat.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:02 am

I agree Murfins. :thumbsup:

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:48 am

Another vote for adoption so that you can be in more control of her diet. If you are so concerned for her health and that motivated to help her lose weight, it seems to me you are just the type of owner she needs and I don't understand the holdup on the adoption.

If indeed she must lose 1/3 of her bodyweight, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of maintaining her metabolic rate stable and high. Long diets, even ones that promote weight loss, have a tendency to lower basal metabolic rate. The body effectively adjusts to the decreased feedings over time. Again, introducing exercise is a good way to help deter this. For such a high degree of weight loss, it is not bad to aspire for 1/2 of the weight loss to come via caloric restriction and 1/2 of it to come from exercise.

Due to her front legs, the exercise you choose should be low impact, high duration. Swimming is an excellent suggestion. Long, brisk walks on grass or another soft surface with rest intervals is also a good option. If you adopt her and have access to a treadmill, multiple shorter duration daily walks on an inclined treadmill is an excellent option (it's basically a stairmaster for dogs and is low impact). Cheap, unmotorized, inclined treadmills that work very well can be purchased for $500 or less. I own one for my dogs.

In my opinion, switching from white to brown will not accelerate weight loss, though I do believe brown rice is the healthier option of the two. If possible, I would favor a diet that is higher on protein than on carbs or fat. Seems like the diet is not under your control so a moot point, I guess. If it ever becomes fully under your control, I would research and then consider a raw diet.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:05 am

My comment about switching from white to brown rice was because brown in a healthy choice, not anything to do with weight loss.

miette
Adolescent Bully

surgery

Postby miette » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:07 pm

the surgery costs $1500 per leg and that's AT COST...they found a vet willing to do it just for the cost of the metal rods to reset her legs.
I don't have $3000 and I wouldn't want to adopt her now and just forget about the surgery. If I keep doing what I can (right now I'm organizing a fundraiser and we are going to donate a little from each of our paychecks) hopefully the $ will be raised. I def. want to adopt, but I want to see what kind of progress I can make w/ the weight loss and fundraising first. As much as I want her, I am trying to think of her best interest...

it's just my luck that the dog I fall in love with is a 6 year old abused/rescued/overweight/bum legged Pitbull... :)
I know the rescue wants us to keep her and I'm sure NO ONE is going to inquire, I'd be surprised if they did.

I'm trying to do the best I can with donations/limited budget (my own included). I appreciate all the advice and I'll def. try some of those food options.
And...I prob. will buy her a diferent kibble w/ my own $ too.
thanks everyone

Return to “Health Issues”