sorry to make another barf thread.... barf patties?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby barbponys » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:52 pm

No Chea, I don't do patties. Making patties is time intensive and with 3 dogs the mixing and crap is just too much effort. I don't use ground meat with the dogs either, for the simple fact that if there's going to be high contamination it's going to be in ground meat as a general rule. I don't really worry about it much but I also prefer to see the quality of the meat I feed. With whole cuts you can see that. I'm the first to admit, my kids are extremely spoiled when it comes to food.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby mydogroxy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:47 am

i just started making barf patties. it's exactly the same stuff i was feeding before, just ground up (rmbs, fruits/veggies, muscle meat, etc.). any ground beef i use is stuff that i grind myself because i do agree with barb about the contamination.

i haven't really decided how i feel about it yet though. it is quite a pain in the butt to have to prepare all the meats and veggies, so they'll fit down the grinder chute, and then mix everything and seperate it into meals. but on the other hand i don't have chicken drippings on my floor anymore. i'm not willing to buy premade patties though, why should i pay someone a ton of money to do something i can do myself?
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:55 pm

If you are going to do this Chea you need to invest in a food processor. I don't know many blenders that can handle meat. Either that or get an old fashioned meat grinder........it will gring bone and meat.

If Maggie likes veggies you can add yogurt to the mash along with the brews yeast and it's easy to feed. I used to grind all the meat and veggies together, that lasted about 2 months. It took so much time and effort it was too much. We spent an entire afternoons cutting, grinding, mixing, partitioning, we finally gave up. Since our dogs love veggies we just throw it on top and they scarf it right down.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby tankers12 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:16 pm

Another way to do the veggies if you have a juicer. Juice some veggies and then mix pulp with juice and ground meat. We feed only a small amount of veggies and buy it already processed from a local dog daycare. But the juicer works good. Tank mainly gets RMB's.
tankers12

Postby elizer » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:19 pm

Ahhh juicer thats brilliant
why didn't i ever think of that..
oh wait i know why
:crybaby:
elizer

Postby tankers12 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:25 pm

We buy it already ground. Our pup is spoiled so all of his meat is range fed. That comes from the daycare or the all natural store. He doesn't really eat much beef lately.(When he did we bought real lean ground beef). He mainly eats ground buffalo, lamb and turkey. His favorite, which isn't ground, is chicken backs.

One side note, if you use the juicer and there is a part of the vegetable that isn't good to eat cut it off first, figured you would think of that but wanted to warn anyways. ( I haven't ran into any veggies like this, mainly just fruit for our juice.)
tankers12

Postby tankers12 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:40 pm

Sounds like a lot of work. How much veggies do you feed a week? I am also curious about the oatmeal. What sites do you use(or books). I'm always interested in making a more complete diet.
tankers12

Postby tankers12 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:03 pm

A typical meal is a couple chicken backs, lamb necks, turkey necks, or ground. We don't give meat from different animals at one meal. He get's very limited amount of vegetables. We only use two supplements, one is Canine Complete and the other is Salmon oil.

I knew I had heard that grains were controversial, I was curious if you heard something different. It's amazing how there are so many different ideas on raw diets. I don't know the title but a really good book is by Kymythy Schultz. (I think that's how she spells it.)

I have another really good book. I'll try and find the title online before I leave work. It's by an Austrailan author. This book isn't really about a certain diet, but about raw in general. It almost looks like a text book.

Found one of them. Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale. If you can get it is an amazing read.
tankers12

Return to Health Issues