Feeding amount...bag says feed ALOT more

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Feeding amount...bag says feed ALOT more

Postby GTiSTiLE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:12 pm

Ever since i got Lucy at 9 weeks old i have always fed her by eye, not by the reccomendations on the bag, i just keep an eye on her weight...etc etc.

however, this morning i was curious as to what the bag says she ought to be eating daily and was incredibly suprised by how much it was. (i feed her nutro lamb and rice puppy and have no problem with it) for her age/weight (7 months 45 +/- pounds) it says the proper feeding amount is 4.5-5 cups per day! on average she is eating about 2 cups a day (i measured this morning) and hardly eats any treats (5 small milkbones MAX per day).

My question is, why do they reccomend feeding SO much? She gets tons of exercise everyday and is at a perfectly good healthy weight... any ideas?

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:17 pm

picture of her for reference :thumbsup:

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Dogs, like humans, are individuals whose metabolic rates vary very significantly. I have a one year old dog who has never eaten less than TWICE the recommended amounts of any food I've ever fed him. The guy is an eating machine, and no matter how much he eats, he never puts on weight. He is extremely lean, with his neck being as wide as the lower portion of his abdomen, and shows ribs as if he was being conditioned on purpose. I have gone through a period of about one month feeding him three times as much as the suggested caloric intake should be for a dog his size and he did not gain much weight at all.

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:27 pm

is that to say if you fed him LESS that he would be starving? this is pretty interesting. Being in college and on a very limited budget, i cant complain that she doesnt need as much food as you're talking about, but im interested to see if she would get chunky if i started feeding her more, or if she would just maintain her current weight status... hmmmm :dunno:

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:28 pm

(that said, i would go broke in a week if she ate 8-10 cups of food a day)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:15 pm

all dogs are different, and in general, pit owners keep their dogs much leaner than many other owners. You're feeding her correctly however, and I wouldn't worry about what the bag says.

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:38 pm

:thumbsup: thats cool... i wasnt the least bit "worried" about how much she gets fed since she is more than healthy, just interested as to why the reccomended amount was so much more. in the end, i cant complain :)

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:53 am

No, he wouldn't be starving if I fed him less, but he might get even skinnier. Suggested feeding amounts are simply high level guidelines, nothing more. They're like those calorie charts that some humans use to "determine" how much they can eat a day without getting fat. For some people those calorie charts grossly underestimate their metabolic rate, for others they overestimate it, and for others it's right on.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:29 am

GTiSTiLE wrote::thumbsup: thats cool... i wasnt the least bit "worried" about how much she gets fed since she is more than healthy, just interested as to why the reccomended amount was so much more. in the end, i cant complain :)

Some would argue that they tell you to feed more so in the long run you end up purchasing more. They are, after all, still businesses whose bottom line is to make a healthy profit. But like the others have said, part of it is aknowledging that dogs' feeding requirements can vary greatly, and what's printed on the bag should serve as only a general guideline.

Return to “Health Issues”