Timberwolf Organics

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mad103

Timberwolf Organics

Postby mad103 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:13 am

Hello everybody,

I am a returning member to the forum. A few years back I got into buying Timberwolf food because everybody seemed to like it and recommend it here in this forum. However, I am also now feeding it to my Miniature Pinscher. He is BIG!!! 18lbs!!! So I took a bag of food to my vet and had him tell me if it was actually healthy food for both the Min Pin and my Pit. He kinda yes/no it because of the high protein content and how it can damage the kidneys and liver and other things. I was wondering if anybody had more information on this food. Details or studies. I have been buying the food for over a year now and love it but my vet now has me worried. MAYBE its not for my Min Pin, although Timberwolf does state that its for all types and all ages of dogs. The food has not yet hit mainstream, which my vet brought up, which to me does kind of worry. Please anybody, provide me with more information on this food. Thanks

Alex

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:16 am

if you're worried about the high protein being hard on the kidneys, add water to your dog's food. What type of T.O. are you feeding?

What would your vet suggest? Science Diet? Now that, THAT'S crap food.

If your dog is getting fat, cut down the amount you're feeding or increase the dog's exercise.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Timberwolf Organics

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:36 am

mad103 wrote:Hello everybody,

I am a returning member to the forum. A few years back I got into buying Timberwolf food because everybody seemed to like it and recommend it here in this forum. However, I am also now feeding it to my Miniature Pinscher. He is BIG!!! 18lbs!!! So I took a bag of food to my vet and had him tell me if it was actually healthy food for both the Min Pin and my Pit. He kinda yes/no it because of the high protein content and how it can damage the kidneys and liver and other things. I was wondering if anybody had more information on this food. Details or studies. I have been buying the food for over a year now and love it but my vet now has me worried. MAYBE its not for my Min Pin, although Timberwolf does state that its for all types and all ages of dogs. The food has not yet hit mainstream, which my vet brought up, which to me does kind of worry. Please anybody, provide me with more information on this food. Thanks

Alex

There is one formula of Timberwolf food that is made for working dogs not the average pet. I'm guessing that is the one you bought???
http://www.timberwolforganics.com/s.nl/ ... egory=-102

The levels in their other formulas are just fine for the average dog IMO

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:46 am

most vets know NOTHING about food, they will try to push iams/science diet on their clients.. if you got the wild and natural TW that is for working dogs, not house pets.. the protein in the other TW foods is fine for dogs that are house pets.. i used TW for 2 years and never had a problem with the protein in the regular kibble..

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:59 am

:dunno: how can a vet possibly know nothing about food? i completely understand that they tend to push certain types of foods onto people, but i think that's simply because they are sponsored by that particular brand (at least thats how i saw it anyways at my vet)... but to say that they dont know anything seems ludacris to me...they went to school to learn about pet health and so on, i think they would have some sort of valuable knowledge on the subject...

that said, i dont feed my dog what the vet told me either...but im not expert

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:33 am

Vets learn A LOT of info in a short amount of time. And there "nutrition" classes are very short and dont really go into detail on things, there are actual dog nutritionists that DO know a lot about food, but your average vet isnt going to know much.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:15 am

GTiSTiLE wrote::dunno: how can a vet possibly know nothing about food? i completely understand that they tend to push certain types of foods onto people, but i think that's simply because they are sponsored by that particular brand (at least thats how i saw it anyways at my vet)... but to say that they dont know anything seems ludacris to me...they went to school to learn about pet health and so on, i think they would have some sort of valuable knowledge on the subject...

When was the last time your Vet was in school? Probably years ago. Like Dick said thier nutrition class is very minimal and if you ask most Vets about most foodsthat are popular they have no clue as they have never heard of them.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:36 am

maximusflys wrote:
GTiSTiLE wrote::dunno: how can a vet possibly know nothing about food? i completely understand that they tend to push certain types of foods onto people, but i think that's simply because they are sponsored by that particular brand (at least thats how i saw it anyways at my vet)... but to say that they dont know anything seems ludacris to me...they went to school to learn about pet health and so on, i think they would have some sort of valuable knowledge on the subject...

When was the last time your Vet was in school? Probably years ago. Like Dick said thier nutrition class is very minimal and if you ask most Vets about most foodsthat are popular they have no clue as they have never heard of them.

Totally!

48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:09 am

The only valid concern with Timberwolf is the level of quality assurance that goes into the product.

just my opinion

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:18 pm

48lawsofpower wrote:The only valid concern with Timberwolf is the level of quality assurance that goes into the product.

just my opinion

What do you mean? I was under the impression that they have EXCELLENT quality control?

georgiapblover
Super Bully

Postby georgiapblover » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:46 pm

I have noticed that the look of the food varies from order to order and that bothers me. I go between the bison formula and the ocean blue. Sometimes the pieces are larger and a chocolate brown color and sometimes they are very compressed, dark dark brown and heavier....if that makes sense. I mean I put the bag of food in the same container everytime and when I get the compressed darker pieces, they fill less of the container.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:03 pm

georgiapblover wrote:I have noticed that the look of the food varies from order to order and that bothers me. I go between the bison formula and the ocean blue. Sometimes the pieces are larger and a chocolate brown color and sometimes they are very compressed, dark dark brown and heavier....if that makes sense. I mean I put the bag of food in the same container everytime and when I get the compressed darker pieces, they fill less of the container.

I noticed that too! In my first bag of Ocean Blue the kibble was small and rounded, but in my second bag the kibble looked much different.. a little larger and flatter. Not sure why that is, or whether or not I should be concerned.

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:26 pm

i think different flavors look different, as they use different ingredients. i was feeding ocean blue for 2 months, it all looked dark. i am now feeding sw chicken and it is light brown. makes sense.

mad103

Postby mad103 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:38 pm

I am feeding them variety.
Southwest Chicken
Lamb, Barley and Apples
Ocean Blue
Wilderness Elk.

I will look into the protein amount but does anybody know the lowest protein count off hand? My pitbull is fine with anything but I am looking more into food for my Min Pin. As I stated earlier, he is 18lbs now which is huge for a Min Pin. People has asked me if he was mixed with a full sized pinscher

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:48 pm

mad103 wrote:I am feeding them variety.
Southwest Chicken
Lamb, Barley and Apples
Ocean Blue
Wilderness Elk.

I will look into the protein amount but does anybody know the lowest protein count off hand? My pitbull is fine with anything but I am looking more into food for my Min Pin. As I stated earlier, he is 18lbs now which is huge for a Min Pin. People has asked me if he was mixed with a full sized pinscher

I had a Min Pin that was large for the breed also. Is the Min Pin overweight or is it just large for the breed. If the Min Pin is overweight cut back the amount of food. My Min Pin was out of the breed standard, then I had another that looked to small.

Return to “Health Issues”