Cropped or Not?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TexasGlock23 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:23 pm

you know...your comments are starting to get to me!

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Brutus's Mommy wrote:
maximusflys wrote:Crop them!!!!!

Yes please chop off your dog's ears for no real purpose than to please you. :thumbsup:

There is a HUGE debate already about whether to crop or not. Might want to check that out.

She asked for an opinion. You gave yours and I gave mine, so lose the attitude. My personal opinion, I wouldn't own a Pit Bull without cropping the ears.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Like others have said, cropping is a totally personal choice. Myself, I prefer natural ears, because they *do* give your dog more character. I love my girl's big dopey ears, she wouldn't look at all the same if they were cropped!

TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TexasGlock23 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Exactly, it is a personal decision. Maximus, your dog is absolutely incredible looking like I have said before, cropped isn't necessarily a bad thing. Around here there is a stereotype on APBT with cropped ears, I tried to stay away from it. Same with the 75-100 lbs. dogs

peder
Super Bully

Postby peder » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:39 pm

do what you think is right, you will be the one to spend the next 15 years with it.

i would go for crop if i had the option

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 pm

Remember that all crops are not created equal. If you do choose to crop, be SURE that you go to a vet experienced in Pit Bull crops, ask to see their portfolio. Get a picture of a dog whose crop you like. Once they are gone, it's real hard to fix a botched job. Also, keep in ming both the fact that there is a great deal of aftercare involved, and any time you put a pup under, there is a risk. I think it was Patch O Pits who has a show friend who just lost a pup during a crop, so it does happen.

morrisettawinnymom

Postby morrisettawinnymom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:47 pm

puppapit wrote:the ears are so fun to read the dog and know immediately how they are feeling.

my other two sweeties--the crop--hard to read and prone to irritation

propaganda! Please stop spreading these lies. Cropped ears are just as expressive as natural ears. there is much more to dog body language than ear expression.

what are you talking about? i am expressing my personal experience with my dogs. i understand and can read even subtle dog body language on many levels but with my battle cropped dark colored dogs the ear equation of the body language is clouded.
winnys prick three inches in the air ears are easy to read along with other body language. i am spreading no propaganda because i havent even heard someone else say this. calm down!
is he paying attention? hahaha.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49 pm

I am curious to know what kind of irritation dogs get with cropped ears

onesickss85

Postby onesickss85 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:53 pm

i like both cropping and the good ole floppy look but i have to say theres just something about a bully dog with floppy ears that just hits my soft spot and makes me just want to grab em and run :)) but in the end ur the decision maker good luck with ur choice and may u have happy years to come :thumbsup:

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Whoa sorry I didn't mean to open a can of warms. I might keep my bully's ears... I do prefer most lop eared dogs over dogs with standing ears. Lopped ears are fun to play with too. haha I used to play with my labs ears all the time.

morrisettawinnymom

Postby morrisettawinnymom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:58 pm

maximusflys wrote:I am curious to know what kind of irritation dogs get with cropped ears

again-personal experience and this may be because my dogs ears are cropped to the head, but they get much more dirt, plant obstructions when hiking, water irritation and general irritation than my dog and fosters with a rose ear.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:59 pm

Just wondering. Thanks

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:59 pm

It's your choice either way.

I personally wouldn't crop. I prefer the natural look and don't see the need for unnecessary surgery.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:21 am

puppapit wrote:propaganda! Please stop spreading these lies. Cropped ears are just as expressive as natural ears. there is much more to dog body language than ear expression.

Thought you were staying out of debates this time around. How is a person talking about their own dogs lying?

ETA, I prefer not to crop. And I feel like, if there's any doubt in your mind about doing it, then don't. Once you've done it, you can't take it back if you decide that you've made a mistake. And remember that an ear crop requires a fair bit of aftercare, so if you're not dedicated to that part of it, you'd be better off leaving them alone. Plus, finding a good ear crop vet can be a pain in the rear. Personally, I would give her a few months and see what her ears are going to look like, as some ear sets look better than others.
Last edited by bahamutt99 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:21 am

Keep his ears, so you can have pictures of them in every position possible like these lol

Good luck on whatever decision you make!

Brenda

Return to “Health Issues”