Do any of your dogs like veggies?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
creeping death
Bully Ambassador

Do any of your dogs like veggies?

Postby creeping death » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:32 pm

I was so suprised today when i decided to try giving Zoey a baby carrot...and she loved it!! So i gave her another one! She ate it raw, right from the fridge...she was just crunchung away. Then Valentine came and budded in and tried some too...he likes them as well. So how often can i feed them these? And what fruits/veggies am i limited to?

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Lots of dogs like veggies. Stay away from onions and do a google search for "foods toxic to dogs." You'll come up with good lists. Most veggies are safe for dogs. Grapes, Raisins, and avocado (fruits, I realize) can be toxic to dogs (some dogs are fine with them). Onions are a no-no.

Tauri will eat just about anything I toss at her. She usually inhales it so fast, she doesn't have much of a chance to taste it. :) Savvy is more picky.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Mine love them. I use whole frozen carrots for teething pups my adults get them as treats

Tullster
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Tullster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:12 pm

My dogs love baby carrots and will beg for them just like any other "treat", so they usually get one when I'm making lunches in the morning.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:34 pm

No, Ernie is straight-up carnivore. lol

We've tried giving him veggies, but he spits them out with a horrified look on his face.

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Mine regularly get veggies :)

Laina
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Laina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:10 pm

King really likes raw potatoes and leafy greens. Anything we feed the lizard he gets really excited about because he thinks he getting a special treat since we feed it only to the lizard. He's totally a weirdo though, he'll eat anything as long as you present it to him like treat. He does spit some out though if he figures out he doesn't like it... he just did it with parsley this weekend.

SweetCoral81

Postby SweetCoral81 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Oso LOVES veggies and fruits. Carrots, broccoli, pumpkin, green beans... oh and apples. I'll eat and apple and give him the core and he likes that better than dog biscuits. The kids and I take carrots to the barn for the horses and as soon as the bag rustles everyone comes running - horses, dogs and kids. :)

dingo
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby dingo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:40 am

Annie adores vegies - to the point of craziness. :))

The other night I was removing the inner seal from a new container of dried parsley. Annie immediately leapt up from her bed in front of the open fire at the other end of the house and came charging into the kitchen, skidding to a halt at my feet.

Evidently the smell of dried parsley was just too much for her. Mad dog just sat there begging for a hand-out.

She also has a passion for carrots, canteloupe, lettuce, zucchini, lima beans, etc. She even passed up on a piece of steak fresh off the bbq last summer in favor of a couple of spears of grilled asparagus.

Seize
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Seize » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 am

Pinky won't eat veggies unless they're mixed with meat or eggs. She loves yams and persimmons though :)

B-Town
Adolescent Bully

Postby B-Town » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:39 pm

Buster will eat just about anything, including half a small pumpkin, stem and all. I guess that's almost pumpkin pie, why not. lol

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:28 am

Ruby loves fruit ane veggies of all kinds. And of course carrots - for a cheap toy, I cube up little pieces carrot and put them in an empty 2 liter soda bottle so it clunks around like kibble - it's great! Don't have to hide any veggies in her food. And the other day I was picking some broccoli in the garden and tossed a broken branch out that had a little broccoli head on it. She picked up the whole thing and drug it to the lawn and ate the little head off. Then she went back and ate some leaves. My good little veggie eater. Eat that Georgie Sr!

sevensilentmiles
Newborn Bully

Postby sevensilentmiles » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:35 pm

SweetCoral81 wrote:Oso LOVES veggies and fruits. Carrots, broccoli, pumpkin, green beans... oh and apples. I'll eat and apple and give him the core and he likes that better than dog biscuits. The kids and I take carrots to the barn for the horses and as soon as the bag rustles everyone comes running - horses, dogs and kids. :)

yea i give my girl Lucy my apple cores too. or sometimes she'll be sitting there watching me eat it and her and i wil share it haha i'll bite off a piece and give it to her then its my turn and so forth.

but i also give her grapes some times and she loves them. they're only bad in large quantities. but Wolves in italy and france sometimes go to the grape vines and eat tons of grapes sometimes even ignoring the chickens that are usually housed near the grape vines. so i dont really understand why grapes are known to be toxic.

avocados are toxic yes. but my co workers rottie eats them so often becuase they've got an avocado tree and he eats the ones off the floor.
he absolutely loves them. but to my knowledge hes never gotten sick from them.

Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lmporter03 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:30 pm

i've heard apple seeds are bad for dogs. i wouldn't give them the core

Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Dena loves veggies & fruits. She loves broccoli, carrots, bananas, anything really.
Porter is more of a carnivore. He will take a fruit or veggie treat from me, then spit it out. The only time he will eat one is when I give Dena a taste first. Then he eats it with a pained look on his face.

Return to “Health Issues”