NEED SOME ADVICE, DOG IS HAVING SOME ISSUES

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BRUTUS

NEED SOME ADVICE, DOG IS HAVING SOME ISSUES

Postby BRUTUS » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:12 am

HELLO ALL,

FIRST, THIS HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST INFORMATIVE FORUMS I HAVE SEEN TO DATE!

WELL, I ADOPTED A 1.5 YEAR OLD PIT BULL TERRIER MIX (BRUTUS) ABOUT 2 WKS AGO. BRUTUS IS VERY UNDER WEIGHT (54.8 LBS); HE HAD HIS FIRST VIST TO THE VET TODAY AND HE HAD A FEW THINGS GOING ON THAT WORRY ME!

1. WHILE AT THE VET HE DEFECATED ON THE FLOOR AND THE DOC NOTICED THAT HE HAD TAPE WORMS AND PERSCRIBED 4 TABLETS OF PRAZIQANTEL 34mg; TO BE GIVEN ALL AT ONE TIME. COULD THIS BE THE REASON HE IS UNDER WEIGHT?

2. DOC CHECKED HIS EARS AND SAID, "LOOKS A LITTLE RED" AND PERSCRIBED AN OTIBIOTIC OINTMENT FOR THE NEXT 10 DAYS. ARE THESE DOGS PRONE TO EAR INFECTIONS? IF SO WHAT ARE SOME WAYS TO PREVENT THEM?

3. I AM FEEDING HIM NUTRO; THE LOVELY FOLKS AT PETSMART SAID IT WAS "THE BEST" , BUT AFTER DOING SOME SURFING I TAKE IT ITS NOT THE BEST OF THE BEST. MY BOYS RIBS AND VERTEBRAE CAN BE SEEN THROUGH HIS FUR, ITS HEART BREAKING. WHAT TYPE OF FOOD CAN I GIVE HIM THAT WILL BE HEALTHIER THAN NUTRO THAT I CAN PURCHASE EITHER AT PETSMART OR ONLINE. I HAVE LOOKED AT TIMBERWOLF AND HONESTLY $40.00+ IS A LITTLE HIGH FOR ME RIGHT NOW, IKNOW THAT MY SOUND LAME, BUT I JUST DO NOT HAVE THE FUNDS.

4. WHAT SUPPLEMENTS ARE ADEQUATE FOR AN ANIMAL IN HIS CONDITION? VITAMENS? FISH OILS?

5. I ENJOY RUNNING (ACTUALLY, I REALLY DON'T ENJOY IT, BUT UNCLE SAM SAYS I HAVE TO ENJOY IT) AND RUN APPROX 2-3 MILES IN THE MORNING, IS THIS TO MUCH TO TAKE HIM ON NOW, AND HOW WILL THIS AMOUNT OF ACTIVITY INFULENCE HIS DIET.

WELL THAT'S WHATS GOING ON IN A NUTSHELL, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS

BRUTUS

Postby BRUTUS » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:15 am

Here's a pic of my boy.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:20 am

Hi again. Congrats on your new addition.

Firstly, please remove the caps lock when posting - all caps are very hard to read.

Secondly, you can get the answer to every question you just posted by searching and reading this section. I highly recommend you get acquainted with the place so you can get answers to your questions even more quickly. (We try to keep repeat threads to a minimum so we strongly encourage searching for topics before posting.)

I'd also like to add that there is nothing that says a 54 lb male PB is underweight. It all depends on his structure and genetics. (The standard for this breed is much smaller than most people think.) And yes, the worms could have lots to do with him being underweight. When the worms get taken care of he should start gaining, too.

Do a search of this section only for "supplements", "nutro", "ear infectons" and you'll have enough reading for the rest of the night. I also recommend the Sticky Posts on food at the top of the Health section and additional threads on food in the PBF Resource section, found on the index page.

Good luck with getting your new guy in shape!

- Meredeth

alwyzchanging
Newborn Bully

Postby alwyzchanging » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:26 am

Well As far as the best food at PetsMart, I found that Blue Buffalo is the best, I compared it to Nutro Natural Choice, and Royal Canin. Royal Canin came in last with the most fillers, then Nutro and Blue Buffalo was the best, with great ingredients. I was having the same problem (of looking for dog food- and a gentelman suggested Blue Buffalo to me) I did the research last night, so its recent. If you want to buy dog food online, try Timberwold, Candid and Solid Gold- I've heard a lot about those. Chicken Soup is also a good brand.
You should try searching for your questions too, there are a lot of disscussions going on about all of them. Good luck with your baby!

BRUTUS

Postby BRUTUS » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:54 am

Sorry for caps lock,

I did spend hours on end searching for a good food, but everyone has there own opinions wether Timberwolf, Blue Buffalo,Candid, etc...just trying to find the correct one. As the ear infection goes, On the medication there is no indication of how many drops to place in each ear, so I am eye-balling it. As supplements go, is there any specific brand or type of vitamen out there that will help?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:54 am

If you can get to Costco, I'd recommend feeding Kirkland Lamb/rice or Chicken/vegetable/rice, for the price difference, it's about comparable to Blue Buffalo and the "nicer" foods petsmart carries but only about $18/40lbs.

SweetCoral81

Postby SweetCoral81 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Blue Buffalo is great food - I feed it to my cats, but it's one of the morse expensive foods out there IMO. Nutro certainly isn't a bad food. Sure there may be better, but its leaps and bounds better than what you'd find in a grocery store or somewhere like Walmart. My dogs eat Nutro and are doing very well. You just have to try one and see how your dog does on it. There are lots of vitamins out there as well. Personally I use the Missing Link but I'm sure there are tons of decent choices out there. The breed as a whole is not prone to ear infections, but there are some who can have chronic problems. A female I used to have had chronic yeast infections in her ears and I just had to watch her carefully, keep them clean, and treat them as soon as I noticed a problem. Is the ointment you prescribed a cream or a liquid? Usually you fill the ear canal and rub gently at the base of the ear. Call you vet and clarifly it though if you're unsure. He sounds like he'd benefit from some exercise, but start him slowly. 2-3 miles is too much for a dog that I assume isn't used to exercising at all. And judging by what I can see in the picture he really doesn't look all that skinny. Do you have a pic of him from the side?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:24 pm

PetSmart also now carries By Nature, my dogs have been doing awesome on it. No wheat, no corn, no soy, 2 protein sources (lamb and chicken) Ilike it better than the Blue Buffalo

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:25 pm

BRUTUS wrote:Sorry for caps lock,

I did spend hours on end searching for a good food, but everyone has there own opinions wether Timberwolf, Blue Buffalo,Candid, etc...just trying to find the correct one. As the ear infection goes, On the medication there is no indication of how many drops to place in each ear, so I am eye-balling it. As supplements go, is there any specific brand or type of vitamen out there that will help?

Otomax is a fairly thick ointment, right? If so, just put in a nice big squirt. As long as you're using it short term, you can't really overdo it, and it needs to reach far down into the horizontal canal to do the most good.

As for a general all-around supplement, salmon oil is good. 1000 mg per 50 lbs daily.

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:58 pm

alwyzchanging wrote:Chicken Soup is also a good brand.

I've used this a lot and have had very good luck with it. It's not the most expensive and not the cheapest and the ingredients are good...

I usually recommend supplementing a basic kibble diet with good quality people food. (YES, dogs will survive on a diet of dry kibble only for their entire lives, but I don't see any reason to deny them some variety!!). I'll add cottage cheese, raw liver and burger, ground turkey, egg yolks, meat scraps, good-quality canned food, etc., to the basic kibble and mix it in well with warm water. This way they get a variety of minerals and vitamins that taste better than a tablet or powder.

A good quality kibble like CS and the addition of good quality people food is really all you need for the average to active dog.

Carla

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:57 pm

To answer your questions.

1. Yes, this could very well be the cause.
2. No, pit bulls are not any more prone to ear infections than the next dog. Just keep their ears clean and there's really nothing to worry about.
3. A good quality food will help him put on weight faster, it will also help his coat shine. I feed Wellness, but I recognize that it is very pricey. I agree with Carla however, in supplementing kibble with people food. I am constantly adding cheese, leftover bits of meat from dinner the night before, cottage cheese, raw eggs, hamburger....whatever's left in the fridge...to just "spice things up" a bit. (: Also, slows down the spendy-kibble consumption. (: I feed 2x/day, btw.
Don't get too stressed over the food selection - what works well for one dog might not be the ticket for another dog. Just do your best to understand what the ingredient label is telling you and then pick something you & your dog like. (:
4. I put a squirt of salmon oil on every meal. I swear by it. Full of great vitamins. Makes the coat nice and shiny.
5. Once he's over the worms, assuming that's his only ailment, running is great exercise for a high-energy breed like the APBT and it's also an AWESOME way for you guys to bond...which is really important right now, as you said you JUST adopted him. Yay - lucky dog! He gets a running partner!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am

I am no expert but...
We switched to Canadie from Nutro. And to be honest, I pay just about the same for a 20 pund bag at a local store. I think I pay 24.00 for the 20 lb and the 40lb is 35

I too give my dogs Salmon oil. There coats are now so much softer and shinier. I also give them all Chondroitin, Glucosamine, and MSM complex.

Personally, I think him runninh with you is an awesome idea! But you may want to wait until he is feeling better and take him a little at a time. Too much too soon could be a bad idea, especially if he isn't use to that. Just like us humans, if I wasn't use to running and someone made me run 2.5 miles, I would fall over and be sore for a week!

Good luck with that handsome boy and keep us posted

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:28 pm

As far as others opinions on the higher end foods, try to get samples from the stores that carry them. Or try small bags at first. See which food YOUR dog does well on, and that will be the food for him!

Return to “Health Issues”