happy tail.. sigh

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

happy tail.. sigh

Postby rednoseErnie » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:21 pm

This is more of a rant than anything else, but Ernie got happy tail AGAIN. This is probably the 5th time or so. And I am totally fed up with scrubbing blood off of the walls! If a homicide investigator ever goes into a residence of mine, they're going to think a massacre took place there.

Anyway, anyone have a foolproof recipe for taking blood off walls? I'm using hydrogen peroxide, which helps but I still ahve to sue a ton of elbow grease, so I'd be willing to try other concoctions...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:26 pm

zero pet odor works on blood, grease, etc, i use it and it gets stains out perfectly on walls or floors

http://www.zeroodorpet.com/?gclid=CIfS4 ... gAodlCzyQg

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:31 pm

ohh wee the Happy Tail syndrome.. I had the same thing here..and thought the same thing.. gez.. looked like a dang crime scene.
I used the good ol bleach and water with a bit of vinegar tossed in.
But I do know hydrogen peroxide can take out blood in clothing and etc, so they might work the same.

My happy tail finally scarred over, well not MY tail :oops: the dogs tail,
I started to wrap it and etc until someone here pointed out that scar tissue was what was needed.
What did HELP was the Super Glue liquid Bandage.. there are two type the light "blister" liquid (not strong enough) or another that looks like superglue, you drip it on this applicator and it must have some reaction to make the glue sticky.
now THAT did help slow down the breaking open and allowed the dog to start healing without anything for her to "chew off" or be bugged by.

Good luck

(i still when cleaning a YEAR later find the remants of our happy tail...gez the blood was everyfreakinwhere as it splayed like crazy...)

Ajathedog
Newborn Bully

Postby Ajathedog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:14 pm

haha, i'm glad someone has named this scenario. my girl's "happy tail" has finally healed over. gonna have to repaint several walls. i never got around to cleaning all the bloody spots--probably too late now.

K9Cabin
Super Bully

Postby K9Cabin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:44 pm

I dealt with an ear wound once that resulted in a lot of blood spray on the walls, too, from all the head shaking.

I filled a spray bottle with steaming hot water and then sprayed a small section of the wall at a time and let it soak for about a minute. That "softened" the spots and they wiped off a lot more easily.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:45 pm

Eeek! Poor things! I wonder how happy the tail has to be in order for this to happen. Piper is always thwunking hers on the coffee table. Should we try to redirect her netherparts so she wags in the air instead of hitting wood?

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:38 pm

i may be reading and comprehending wrong, but what exactly is happy tail? sorry for the newbish question, ive never heard of such a thing :tongue:

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:06 am

GTiSTiLE wrote:i may be reading and comprehending wrong, but what exactly is happy tail? sorry for the newbish question, ive never heard of such a thing :tongue:

Happy tail happens when a dog is wagging it's tail and hits a wall/other hard surface, causing the end of the tail to bleed.

peder
Super Bully

Postby peder » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:40 am

i use cold water, it works with human and dog blood, just pray it on, let it disolve the blood stains, and wipe it away.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:03 am

I had to amputate Jack's tail because of that, the injuries were becoming significant and he was in pain.Despite the bandages and everything.I wasn't happy about but the vet suggested we amputated it.
Ernie with a boxer tail...cute! :)

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:41 pm

Nature's Miracle works on ANY stain pet or human related for that matter. You can find it at Petco ... comes in a white bottle with a red label and the top of the bottle is red

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks for all the tips! This weekend I'll try some more cleaning.

Poor Ernie, I was looking at the tail last night, and it looks terrible. The area around the wound has lost all hair, and appears red and irritated. I'm waiting another day, and hoping it isn't infected.

Daphnesmom
Matured Bully

The worst happy tale story

Postby Daphnesmom » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:57 pm

This is long - pls forgive.

We had a greyhound that passed away last year, but early after we adopted him, he was about 5. Chewed up a pair of scissors (he chewed EVERYTHING) in the morning before work/school. My then 10 year old daughter came downstairs in her catholic schoolgirl outfit, followed by Miami (the greyhound). I was checking her hair, and while I was looking at her, it looked like she was spontaneously combusting...blood stripes were showing up everywhere on her. We freaked out cuz I had them too, then the walls, everywhere. Finally we saw Miami wagging his tail and blood just spurting out of it. OMG, it was horrible. I managed to wrap a towel around it and Shelby held it on there ... nothing would stop the bleeding, it was insane. Finally, emptied a whole tube of toothpaste on it and it subsided...not stopped but slowed way down.

Our house looked like Helter Skelter....he started upstairs when he got the tail in the scissors during chew fest. You could see the whip patterns all the way down. We cleaned up blood for months. His tail was never the same, we called it his blood feather (like birds get) and were always freaked out if he started hitting it.

Poor dog, truly, whoever lives in the house had better not ever murder anyone cuz the luminol would get them sent to San Quentin!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:09 pm

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for clean up?

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:48 pm

We cleaned up the splotches from Haley's tail as best we could, and they've pretty much worn off over time.

Here's a nifty method of dealing with the happy tail: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/m ... a_tail.htm

When Haley had it, we padded it, then vet wrapped (leaving the end open for it to breathe), then wrapped a thin piece of duct tape loosely around the top of the vet wrap, then if she was beating it around too much at a given time, taped it down to one of her hind legs with another piece of tape. Her tail is nice and solid now, completely bald on both sides and kind of an ugly purple color from the perpetual beating it takes, but very tough now that it's gotten scar tissue buildup.

I wonder if tuff pad or one of the other pad toughening creams would help to toughen up the tail?

Return to “Health Issues”