Alcohol Consumption...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Alcohol Consumption...

Postby GTiSTiLE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:10 pm

:po: rant begin:
Every time i turn my back and the roomates are drinkin, MY dog ends up drinking beer that is given to her. all of us agreed before I got the dog how stupid it is to give the dog alcohol and on numerous occasions i have TOLD these retards to quit giving the dog alcohol... at this point im gettin pissed and telling them isn't effective. let's not talk about my next course of action, but what i really wanna know is just how damaging it is for her to be consuming alcohol when my back is turned. from my understanding, it doesnt take much to give a dog kidney/liver failure... It's gonna be laid down one last time to them loud and clear, after that, all i can say is that actions will speak louder than words.... What's done is done, what i want to know is how much permanant damage could have been done already. keep in mind, im not talking about huge quantities, more like a good few pours on the floor that she licks up from time to time when im not around to see it. :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po:

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:36 pm

Sirian
Super Bully

Postby Sirian » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:21 am

My husbands childhood dog loved beer, she used to knock over bottles in her reach to drink up whatever spilled on the floor. She didnt get large amounts probaly the equivalent a a good splash on occasion but it never made her ill or caused and obvious long term damage. She lived to a few months short of 16 and was never sick up until the very end when she went senile.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:13 am

I would crate the dog away from people who tried to give it beer. It's not even funny.
When I was much MUCH younger (talking barely legal) I smoked pot and hung with those who did. One evening my bf picked up my cat and blew pot smoke in his ear to "get him stoned". I totally flipped out. I would not allow anyone to give my pets booze or pot or anything else like that. Ever. Period!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:30 am

I don't worry about small amounts. In fact, Ruby runs to her bowl when I say, "Do you want some beer?" And I'll pour a tablespoon or so of a leftover light beer into her bowl. Very strange to have a dog with beer breath. And she'll lick up wine off the floor when my husband is playing with her causing him to spill some.

SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Personally I'd punch my roommates in the face.

But I also don't tolerate anyone doing ANYTHING to my dogs that could hurt them like that.

JeepinDog
Addicted to PBF

Postby JeepinDog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I personally wouldn't give a dog any alcohol.

Peerless
Matured Bully

Postby Peerless » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:52 pm

i've been on both sides of the fence. i have to admit that before we got Peerless i was one of those "a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, ITS A PET NOT A CHILD" well since we got peerless things have changed. he is our child he is part of our family. i would not allow any visitor of my home to give him beer or blow any type of smoke in his face/ear (and trust we drink plenty of beer in our house). i don't think that it's the worst thing that could be done but not necessary. i’m no doc/vet so i wouldn't even get into the medical end but as far as the mental side of it, how would you like to have someone slide something in your drink without knowing and then be all f'ed up and not understand why. that is how i think a dog would feel. i just don't think it's fair to the dog.

And I’m not blasting any of you for doing it just saying I wouldn’t or allow anyone else to.

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:02 pm

crating her while parties are going on is gonna be the solution to this problem as i cant keep an eye on her 100%. unfortunatly, people dont have the respect or common courtesy to ASK or consider someone elses belongings. i understand the "she's a dog" thing, but F that...its MY dog, and i feel like she is a child... i dont spend my time training, walking, disciplining my dog so that she's completely social and under control when people are over, just to have them intoxicating her.

there was another time last night, after i ripped into my roomates about the alocohol that other people (whom i did not know), managed to give her an entire 2 cups of beer... i snatched her back up, brought her to my room and she went to sleep. about half hour later, she wakes up and walks over to me SHAKING violently, i tried to calm her down, but didnt understand what she needed. she proceeded to my bedroom door and just lost control of her bladder. she hadnt had an accident in the house in over a month and a half... i was pissed and felt horrible for her.

I immediately took her outside...she fell down the stairs of the porch and couldnt maintain her balance and kept falling over... SAD does not even begin to explain how i felt at that point, it was horrible. i carried her back inside and took her to bed.

NEVER again will that happen without bloodshed...after all, thats my girl, not everyone elses bitch :po:

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 pm

Just to add a story on top of yours.

One of my old roommates had a mini pin, and one night when we had people over everybody gave him a little bit, and after awhile it really added up. By the time me and my friend realized the dog was drunk it was too late. He couldnt even stand up he was so wasted. The dog shook violently for hours and peed all over my friends bed. We didnt think he was gonna make it. Luckily he pulled through, but since that day that dog has not been right in the head, i truly think it killed too many brain cells.

That being said, i do from time to time give a little bit of beer to Tommy, like the last little bit that i dont want, but i would never give him a lot because i really think it would have bad effects. Too much of anything is a bad thing.

Return to “Health Issues”