Sedatation for nail clipping.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ngmarlin

Sedatation for nail clipping.

Postby ngmarlin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:29 am

The guy at the dog food store, said I could use benadryl to sedate samson, so i can clip his nails(he hates it). I've tried everything else, he's just to big and strong to try and hold down. Any suggestions

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:31 am

Some dogs have absolutely no reaction to benadryl honestly. If he is that much of a problem with his nails and you've worked on trying to change the behavior and can't for whatever reasons. I'd consult a vet or wholistic vet for other options for maybe even a mild sedative

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:38 am

Or you could just bring him to your vet to have his nails clipped. My vet only charges $10 for it (which is a lot, but my dogs are a LOT more cooperative with the vet than they are with me!)

GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

Postby GTiSTiLE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:31 am

ever since Lucy was a pup, ive always tinkered with her paws, teeth, ears...etc just randomly and often so it's not a big issue when something actually needs to be done with them. i might be preaching to the choir here and/or your dog just doesnt like gettin his nails clipped. as far as sedation goes...i dunno, i imagine if the benadryl DID work, he might cooperate better, but they you got a drowsy lazy dog for the rest of the day lol

ngmarlin

Postby ngmarlin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:38 pm

He was good as a pup, until one time i clipped to much and he bled, every since then he wont have anything to do with it.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:57 pm

ngmarlin wrote:He was good as a pup, until one time i clipped to much and he bled, every since then he wont have anything to do with it.

use a dremel

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:40 pm

Work on relaxation techniques with him. Call a trainer if you need help, or have a vet do his nails.

Benadryl probably won't sedate them enough to do much anyway. Your vet might give you some acepromazine for something more serious like traveling or fear of thunderstorms, but I don't know if they can send home meds for nail trims... you could always ask.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
ngmarlin wrote:He was good as a pup, until one time i clipped to much and he bled, every since then he wont have anything to do with it.

use a dremel

Agreed! Try a dremel. There are so many reasons it is better, as long as your dog tolerates it. Piper doesn't like it, but she'll tolerate it if I take her bone with cookie holes and put a couple small biscuits in. She goes to town on it while we dremel all her nails down.

It allows a gradual trimdown, so you don't ever quick the dog. It makes the nails rounder and less jagged afterwards. It allows you to go shorter, because you can actually "train" the quicks to recede with repeated dremeling. It's just all around good stuff. :)

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:30 pm

Third the dremel. Train him to use it by giving delicious treats and encouraging relaxation. Oh, and get rechagable abtteries, the dremel sucks battery juice like crazy.

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:41 pm

I can clip Daisys' nails just fine after she's tuckered out from a good run. I just wait for her to pass out, and snip away. Dog and Gazelle, on the other hand, I get Aceprozamine.

Dog will let me bathe him, blow dry him, clean his ears, and even scale his teeth, but he will not tolerate a nail clipping. And Gazelle freaks over pretty much anything, must be that Whippet in her. I'd rather sedate them a bit to take the edge off than end up hitting a quick because they're struggling so much.

The Dremel sounds good, but I don't think they'd tolerate that too well, either. There's alsways the vet, and groomers, too. If you know when you're going to Care-A-Lot, Petsmart, or Petco, you could just schedule a nail clipping there, since they have grooming services.

bullylady
Super Bully

Postby bullylady » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:09 pm

I really have no opinion on this cause' I am one of those hold em' down and get it done people, but I see that you have a boxer and please, please do not use Acepromazine on that breed, please. There are some articles on the net about it, but ACE is not for Boxers and can cause serious health issues.

christy7907
Adolescent Bully

Postby christy7907 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm

I am by no means an expert at all, but I always heard that benedryl acts the opposite in dogs as it does in people. :dunno:

What about rescue remedy or vallerian root? I have no idea if that is safe to use on a dog, but surely someone here will know. both are herbal remedies for relaxation or something like that.

ngmarlin

Postby ngmarlin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:17 am

bullylady wrote:I see that you have a boxer and please, please do not use Acepromazine on that breed, please.

Believe me, I wont ever. I've done all my research. Jada is awesome at nail clipping any way, she just lays on her side and lets me clip away.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 am

Solomon was a champ about letting me cut his nails when he first got here, now he hates it and wants to eat the clippers. I stick a bully stick in his mouth and let him chomp on that, he will let me clip them then.

With Vicki, I treated her around the clippers a lot when she was a pup, and touched the clippers to her feet, treated and praised. She isn't crazy about getting her nails clipped, but will stand still and tolerate it enough for me to do them.

Other

Postby Other » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:56 am

I slap a big ol slab of ham down in front of Abram, he hates getting his nails trimmed but will do anything for that ham.

Return to “Health Issues”