Weird new food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Weird new food

Postby megan203 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:35 pm

I was looking up information about wolf hybrids (topic in General got me curious on the subject) and came across this http://www.evolutionsolution.us/products.htm
which is apparently a totally vegitarian/vegan food for cats (wild and domestic), dogs (wild and domestic) and ferrets.
Which strikes me as odd, because I KNOW that cats NEED to eat meat to stay healthy and it seems kinda silly to try to feed wolves a vegitarian diet...
But, it might be possible....although the protein didn't look high enough for a dog's needs, at least in the wet food:
CANINE • GOURMET ENTREE (MOIST)

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein . . . . . . . . . . . . 8.0%
Crude Fat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .5.0%
Crude Fiber. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.0%
Moisture . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 76.0%

INGREDIENTS: FILTERED WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, PEAS, POTATOES, BROWN RICE,AVOCADO, CARROTS, WHEAT GERM, OAT GROATS, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SOYBEAN OIL, BREWER’S DRIED YEAST, DL-METHIONINE,TAURINE, GUAR GUM, SEA KELP, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E),VITAMIN A ACETATE, ERGOCALCIFEROL (VITAMIND-2), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, MANGANESE OXIDE, NIACIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, COPPER OXIDE, MANGANESE SULFATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT (VITAMIN B-2),THIAMINE MONONITRATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDRO-CHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN,VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, SODIUM SELENATE,ARACHIDONIC ACID.

The dry food looks a little better (maybe? I'm always on shaky ground with pet nutrition)

CANINE • GOURMET PASTA

Guaranteed analysis

Crude Protein (Minimum) . . . . . . 28%
Crude Fat (Minimum) . . . . . . . . 14%
Crude Fiber (Maximum) . . . . . . 3.5%
Moisture (Maximum) . . . . . . . . 10%

Ingredients: Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean
Meal,Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Potato Product,
Dehydrated Beet Molasses, Deflourinated Phosphate, Potassium Chloride,
Calcium Carbonate, Salt,Taurine, Arginine, DL-Methionine, Enzyme
Bromelain from Pineapple Stem & Fruit, Enzyme Papain From Papaya,
Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidum Fermentation Product, Lysine, Garlic, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate,Vitamin A Acetate,Vitamin D2 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide,Vitamin B-12 Supplement,Thiamin Mononitrate, Kelp Meal, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Manganese Methionine Complex,Arachidonic Acid, Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

Opinions? :dunno:
megan203

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:47 pm

In my opinion, feeding a dog or cat an entirely vegetarian diet is absurd - Vegetarians who do this strike me as delusional and don't seem to have the best interests of their animals in mind at all.

JMHO... lol
JaquelineC

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:52 pm

I guess some people just don't understand that animals are not people, and have different nutritional needs.

If grains and veggies were what these animals needed, that's what they would eat in the wild. They would have eyes on the sides of their heads, and teeth made for grinding vegetation - The complete opposite of what they have now...

If you want a vegetarian pet, get a guinea pig or a cow or something... lol

WTG feeding BARF Chea - I want to be feeding 100% BARF someday too!

:headbang:
JaquelineC

Postby megan203 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:04 pm

as I was reading the stuff on the website, I was imagining trying to explain to the house dogs that they couldn't have the tasty RMB because they were bad....
Or even better, the site recommends fasting your animals 2 days a week (whether it's consequitive days, I'm not sure). Try explaining that to your dog..... :roll:
http://www.evolutionsolution.us/fasting.htm

In addition, they were bragging about the all of their products being low in fats...however, i DO know something about ferret nutrition...they, at least, NEED high fat, high animal protein diets, just due to their digestion tracts and their high metabolism....
megan203

Postby elegy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:19 pm

there was someone on another group i read looking for a vegan dogfood for her boyfriend's dog because he's vegan and he doesn't want to feed his dog animal products. it's all well and good for a person to be vegan. that's their choice and human dietary needs can be met by a vegan diet. but it is not the dog's choice and honestly, while i'm sure someone could come up with a diet that would, on paper, fulfill a dog's dietary needs, dogs are meant to eat meat. that's how they're designed. it's as simple as that.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:05 pm

A ferret has no Cacum (spelling?)... meaning that they CANNOT digest plants. Just can't.

Ferrets that have anything less than as close to 100% animal-based diets become very sick and will die quickly. Feeding a ferret a vegie diet is extreme animal abuse.

Ferrets also have a very high matabolism. they have to always have food out, and use the litter box quite often. The line between mouth and butt is very short on a ferret, and they go through food little bits at a time, but througout the day and night. Some animals are fine if they miss a few meals... if a ferret goes without food for day it will go int a coma and die. Simple as that.

Ferrets require tourine, just like cats.

Cats are the only animals that do not produce their own tourine to some extent. If they do not get it in their diets, their eye sight will decrease, their energy will decrease, and eventually they will die because of it.

Dogs can consume more fruits and veggies than ferrets (none) and cats (close to none), but are BY FAR NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT NON MEAT DIETS! My dogs eat exclusivly raw diets, with fruit and veggies as a treat off of my plate here and there, not as a part of their food.

ARRRGGG! This is NOT a new food, wither... and it has been fought over and over again the same way other animal-harming animal products like Hartz and Biospot have...
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby megan203 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:13 am

after reading the site, it's pretty obvious that they haven't done a whole lot of research into ferret nutrition...
And their whole justification for feeding wild animals (big cats, wolves and foxes) a veggie diet is that in the 1920s or so (maybe later, I don't remember) there was a tame lioness who "voluntarily" gave up meat (which I warily believe at best).

I have no problem with a vegitarian diet for myself and have no problem with fasting on occasion, but that's a CONSCIENCE decision on my part, as for my companion animals...I'll still give them meat since it's what they need.
megan203

Postby kbreese » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:34 pm

OMG, thats one of the most assinine dog food ingredient lists I have evre read.
kbreese

Postby pollypop » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:50 pm

I can't STAND the idea of vegan cat and dog food. It makes me so angry. Vegetarian dog food is one thing, since dogs can do well on it (I still don't like it, though), but vegan cats, argh. You know why cats are used to guard granaries from mice? Because they eat mice and not grain and veggies!

If you can't morally, ethically, or personally stomach the idea of feeding an animal a species-appropriate diet, then don't keep that kind of animal.
pollypop

Postby megan203 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:25 am

:goodpost: :clap
megan203

Return to Health Issues