Help me with these 4 dog foods!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
ABPitLover
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: Calgary, AB

Help me with these 4 dog foods!

Postby ABPitLover » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:19 am

I have done searches on these individually, but would really love some help or insight on a comparison between the 4 (3 are Canadian based and there isn't too much on them here).

Right now I have Bogart on Horizon Complete and I was considering switching him to Timberwolf. But, at the dog show this weekend I met these 2 and they also sounded good. Bogart went nuts for the Orijen sample (NUTS!!) and I like the Go Natural! food as well.
Price wise, a large bag of TW is going to cost me about $65-70. The Orijen and Go! are about $60/each, and the Horizon is my wallet saver at about $45 for a large bag.

On the Horizon, Bogart has some dandruff even though he gets 2 salmon oil tablets a day. I am feeding him 2 cups daily (+ treats like frozen canned food) and have just upped it to 3 cups since he is 'too lean' for the show ring. Fiscally, Horizon is the best. Orijen has a much higher protein count than I'm comfortable with, but the propaganda on their website almost swayed me completely roflmao

I would love some insight. Here are the ingredients for each:

Horizon Complete
http://www.horizonpetfood.com/products-complete.asp

Orijen Adult http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/ ... ients.aspx

Go Natural!
http://www.petcurean.com/PDFs/go_natural_dog.pdf

And TW
http://www.timberwolforganics.com/s.nl/it.A/id.87/.f

I would appreciate any and all insight, as I really do try but feel clueless about diet. I know a few things but I know you guys know more! lol

User avatar
TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Hampton, VA
Contact:

Postby TexasGlock23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 am

I know this isn't what you asked but here goes. I met a guy and his dogs and they are fed Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice. A member here feeds this as well. My aunt feeds her rotties also with this food. The coats look AMAZING! I just switched Layla to it today to give it a try. She is getting a mx oc Canidae and DN for a few days until she gets used to it. Canidae just didnt do anything. Honestly I saw better results with Science Diet. I just didn't like the ingredients. DN is about $21 for 40 pounds. I do not know if you have it up there, but it seems to work well.

User avatar
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler
Posts: 10361
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:21 am

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:44 am

Truthfully, Bogart's dandruff very likely has nothing to do with his diet. All my dogs have recently developed dandruff, and there's nothing I can do about it. We've had a spell of cold, dry weather. We're headed into rain, which should help, but they still tend to get dry at this time of year because heating the house dries the air. I also have dry skin. I really should get a humidifier, to help the dogs, and fend off coughs. (I get really bad coughs whenever I'm sick)

I looked at those foods. I still think some of these diets tend to be overpriced, and I am also skeptical about the high protein diets. None of them look bad, though. I do note that the GoNatural lists itself as being 617 kcal/cup, while the Horizon that you've been feeding is listed as 392 kcal/cup. So that particular switch might actually be cheaper than you think. The Timberwolf doesn't list it's kcal/cup, but it's kcal/kg is 3680, so very similar to the Horizon at 3569. The Orijen does not list any calorie count. (I'm also not convinced that potatoes are better than grain. I'm not anti-grain, but if I were, I think I wouldn't want my dogs eating a lot of potato, either)

My inclination would be to either stick with the Horizon, if you're otherwise happy with it, or try the GoNatural.

User avatar
ABPitLover
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: Calgary, AB

Postby ABPitLover » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:27 am

Thanks Sarah! The GoNatural looked good to me, too. The woman that spoke to me about it has Irish Wolfhounds and I think she said she only has to feed her dog 3 or 4 cups a day. I'll probably look into it more when I get back into town.

The dandruff really bugs me lol and because of his color, I can see it a lot more than if he was lighter. The humidifer would probably benefit us both.

User avatar
concreterose
Moderator
Posts: 11574
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Postby concreterose » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:37 am

I agree with Sarah about the dandruff. All of mine have it too, humidifiers help some, but the air inside is still drier than normal.

User avatar
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4818
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:44 am

Postby PitFriend » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:27 am

concreterose wrote:I agree with Sarah about the dandruff. All of mine have it too, humidifiers help some, but the air inside is still drier than normal.



So happy I found people talking about dandruff! lol My girls' coats are super shiny and healthy-looking... except for the dang dandruff I can't get rid of. They're on TW, and they get salmon oil once daily, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. But the drier, winter air makes complete sense, so now I feel better about that.

Back on topic, I've been feeding TW for a few months and so far I like it. Riley, the pitty, has lost a bit of weight on it but she needed to anyway so I'm not concerned about that at this point. The other dogs have maintained their weight nicely on slightly smaller amounts of TW than their previous food. Coats are gleaming and soft. Don't really have anything negative to say about it, other than the price. I don't like to mess with a good thing, so I'll probably stick with TW for a while, but if you can find the same quality at a lower price, then I would go with that.

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:47 am

I see you got your boy home with you now! :clap

User avatar
concreterose
Moderator
Posts: 11574
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Postby concreterose » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:28 pm

PitFriend wrote:
concreterose wrote:I agree with Sarah about the dandruff. All of mine have it too, humidifiers help some, but the air inside is still drier than normal.



So happy I found people talking about dandruff! lol My girls' coats are super shiny and healthy-looking... except for the dang dandruff I can't get rid of. They're on TW, and they get salmon oil once daily, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. But the drier, winter air makes complete sense, so now I feel better about that.

Back on topic, I've been feeding TW for a few months and so far I like it. Riley, the pitty, has lost a bit of weight on it but she needed to anyway so I'm not concerned about that at this point. The other dogs have maintained their weight nicely on slightly smaller amounts of TW than their previous food. Coats are gleaming and soft. Don't really have anything negative to say about it, other than the price. I don't like to mess with a good thing, so I'll probably stick with TW for a while, but if you can find the same quality at a lower price, then I would go with that.


See, this is one of the reasons (on top of the fact I don't want to get dog food shipped) that I haven't tried it. It is hard enough keeping weight on my guys, and everyone says their dogs drop weight once they're on it.

User avatar
Deniselynn
BANNED
Posts: 19244
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: Home of the OG, Al Capone
Contact:

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Millicent, what food do you give Vicki and Solomon?

User avatar
concreterose
Moderator
Posts: 11574
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Postby concreterose » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Millicent, what food do you give Vicki and Solomon?


In the winter they are on raw one meal and they get Nature's Variety (I rotate through the kibble and canned) for one meal.
Spring through fall, they are all raw. But it is getting harder for me to find variety in raw meat here that is affordable so I will probably wind up keeping them on kibble/raw until I find a reliable, affordable source for meat.

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:19 pm

concreterose wrote:
PitFriend wrote:
concreterose wrote:I agree with Sarah about the dandruff. All of mine have it too, humidifiers help some, but the air inside is still drier than normal.



So happy I found people talking about dandruff! lol My girls' coats are super shiny and healthy-looking... except for the dang dandruff I can't get rid of. They're on TW, and they get salmon oil once daily, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. But the drier, winter air makes complete sense, so now I feel better about that.

Back on topic, I've been feeding TW for a few months and so far I like it. Riley, the pitty, has lost a bit of weight on it but she needed to anyway so I'm not concerned about that at this point. The other dogs have maintained their weight nicely on slightly smaller amounts of TW than their previous food. Coats are gleaming and soft. Don't really have anything negative to say about it, other than the price. I don't like to mess with a good thing, so I'll probably stick with TW for a while, but if you can find the same quality at a lower price, then I would go with that.


See, this is one of the reasons (on top of the fact I don't want to get dog food shipped) that I haven't tried it. It is hard enough keeping weight on my guys, and everyone says their dogs drop weight once they're on it.


Paige lost an incredible amount of weight on TW.(and had upped the amount to a little under 5 cups a day!!)
Now that I have them back on Merrick or Nature's Variety, Paige is back to eating a cup in the am and a cup in the pm and looks great!
I would feed TW if my dogs got overweight and I wanted them to drop off the extra pounds in a hurry!

User avatar
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4818
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:44 am

Postby PitFriend » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:10 pm

pblove wrote:
concreterose wrote:
PitFriend wrote:
concreterose wrote:I agree with Sarah about the dandruff. All of mine have it too, humidifiers help some, but the air inside is still drier than normal.



So happy I found people talking about dandruff! lol My girls' coats are super shiny and healthy-looking... except for the dang dandruff I can't get rid of. They're on TW, and they get salmon oil once daily, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. But the drier, winter air makes complete sense, so now I feel better about that.

Back on topic, I've been feeding TW for a few months and so far I like it. Riley, the pitty, has lost a bit of weight on it but she needed to anyway so I'm not concerned about that at this point. The other dogs have maintained their weight nicely on slightly smaller amounts of TW than their previous food. Coats are gleaming and soft. Don't really have anything negative to say about it, other than the price. I don't like to mess with a good thing, so I'll probably stick with TW for a while, but if you can find the same quality at a lower price, then I would go with that.


See, this is one of the reasons (on top of the fact I don't want to get dog food shipped) that I haven't tried it. It is hard enough keeping weight on my guys, and everyone says their dogs drop weight once they're on it.


Paige lost an incredible amount of weight on TW.(and had upped the amount to a little under 5 cups a day!!)
Now that I have them back on Merrick or Nature's Variety, Paige is back to eating a cup in the am and a cup in the pm and looks great!
I would feed TW if my dogs got overweight and I wanted them to drop off the extra pounds in a hurry!



This is why so many people get frustrated trying to find a good dog food. I have 3 of my dogs on TW and they've each responded differently in the 3 months they've been eating it! Riley has lost a little weight, Downie has actually GAINED weight, and Mocha has stayed the same. lol Fortunately they're all going in the direction that's right for them, so it's working for us so far. But clearly it's a trial and error sort of thing.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests