Taking a shot at making liver treats, please chime in

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Taking a shot at making liver treats, please chime in

Postby TexasGlock23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:56 pm

I did a search already and only found a few "half" recipes. First off, I am not usually good in the kitchen, my wife is at work and I am bored. I need some help. I don't want to use anything that may cause an allergic reaction like wheat flour etc. Any input would be great.

Jared

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:08 pm

I got this recipe off of someone on another forum. My dog LOVES them:

Liver Brownies
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup wheat germ
1 lb liver (whatever kind you want)
1 1/2 cup corn meal
3 - 4 eggs
2-3 cloves minced garlic

Directions:

Put all ingredients in the food processor and puree until all mixed (about 4 min). Put in well greased pan (I use 9 x 9 cake pan) and bake @ 350 degrees for 20 min. Cut into squares and keep in freezer, thaw in fridge.

TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TexasGlock23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:12 pm

uhhhhhhhh, what is wheat germ? lol Told ya I was useless in the kitchen.

So after I do this, I freeze them, thaw them out then give them to her? Why couldn't I just keep 'em in a bag?

Also, if I do not have wheat germ will it still turn out?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:16 pm

you can get wheat germ at the grocery store. without it i'm guessing it would be really runny? kind of like making a cake without enough flour.
of course you can give the treats to the dog fresh (cooled down a bit of course!), but it makes quite a bit, so i usually freeze half of it.

Here's another recipe. it's not liver, it's salmon, but it's nice n easy!

Canned Salmon Treats

Ingredients:

1 can of salmon
1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
3 eggs (shells included)
2 cups flour
minced garlic

Directions:

Put ingredients all ingredients, except flour in food processor and blend. Add flour gradually until stiff.

Roll out flat on greased cookie sheet and cut pizza cutter or knife to cut into squares. Bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes. When cool, break into squares on the lines from the pizza cutter

okiegirl
Newborn Bully

Postby okiegirl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:21 pm

The recipe I use is very similar, but it just calls for 1 lb of liver and 2 cups of any kind of flour (or oatmeal). Same instructions, but spread it out on a greased cookie sheet then cut with a pizza roller when they come out of the oven. Leave on the cookie sheet and freeze, then they break apart and don't freeze together in the bag.

I take out a handful at a time and keep them in the fridge, but the dogs will happily eat them frozen.

TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TexasGlock23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 pm

okiegirl wrote:The recipe I use is very similar, but it just calls for 1 lb of liver and 2 cups of any kind of flour (or oatmeal). Same instructions, but spread it out on a greased cookie sheet then cut with a pizza roller when they come out of the oven. Leave on the cookie sheet and freeze, then they break apart and don't freeze together in the bag.

I take out a handful at a time and keep them in the fridge, but the dogs will happily eat them frozen.

Which recipe? Thanks, that should help.

I can use cornmeal correct instead of wheat germ correct?

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 pm

It'd probably be better to substitue some kind of flour for the wheat germ if you don't have wheat germ. Replacing the wheat germ with more cornmeal might not give you the right constistency.

TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TexasGlock23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks. I decided to wait for the lady who makes my dinners...her place is the kitchen. It is her holy throne. I just clean it! I can make a killer tuna melt though roflmao

Thanks for the help, as soon as she gets here we are getting started.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:09 pm

You can also cut up your liver in thin slices, place on a cookie sheet that has been covered with tin foil and back at 250*F until dry - this doesn't need to be frozen as it is essentially dehydrating it. You can sprinkle a little garlic powder on it before cooking if you want but I don't.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:16 pm

Murfins wrote:You can also cut up your liver in thin slices, place on a cookie sheet that has been covered with tin foil and back at 250*F until dry - this doesn't need to be frozen as it is essentially dehydrating it. You can sprinkle a little garlic powder on it before cooking if you want but I don't.

Thats what i was going to suggest, you can do the same with any thin cut meat too, like bacon or weiners and they come out nice and crispy, work great and your not putting any flour or other possible allergens in it.

TexasGlock23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby TexasGlock23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:34 pm

That is more or less what I was looking for myself. But so many posted the tips on "cookies" etc and I thought I might give it a try. We have had a few problems with reactions so maybe for now I should just slice them up and bake 'em.

JeepinDog
Addicted to PBF

Postby JeepinDog » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:08 am

Here's one that I got from the Addison Dog's Calendar (that Shadow is in).

1 lb. pureed liver
2 c. corn meal
1 c. flour
Dash garlic powder

Mix well. Spread out on cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Cool and cut into small pieces.

If you need anymore recipes for treats or cakes, let me know, there's 3 recipes every month.

Return to “Health Issues”