What can i do??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What can i do??

Postby Kara » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:08 am

Dam-it.... I went into the washroom for a half a second and came out and Jada had her front paws up on the dresser drinking my chocolate milk... :sad: It was only less then a quarter of a glass... what can I do? I know chocolate is bad for dogs, but is milk bad too?
Dam... I feel so bad, I sometimes forget just how tall she is, she can get into things Taurus never would be able to. Help guys, is there anything I can be doing?????

Kara
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby K » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:22 am

does the ingredients list on the packet? becuse its the theobromine/ide in choclate that the bad thing isnt it?
Last edited by K on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
K

Postby Kelliek » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:22 am

i am definitely not an expert but i don't think anything bad will happen as it wasn't that much and it is generally the dark chocolate that is the worst. i believe there is a sticky about how to make your dog vomit so you could do that if you are really worried.

ona a side note, cody has drank a little of my chocolate milk many times with no side effects (he even gets cho. ice cream occasionally). in fact, he got into some chocolate x-mas candy and nothing happened other than he got the runs.

good luck!
Kelliek

Postby K » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:26 am

heres a page for chocolate toxicity values

http://www.phouka.com/dog_frames.html

I think you/Jada will be ok though
K

Postby Kara » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:29 am

Kelliek wrote:i am definitely not an expert but i don't think anything bad will happen as it wasn't that much and it is generally the dark chocolate that is the worst. i believe there is a sticky about how to make your dog vomit so you could do that if you are really worried.

ona a side note, cody has drank a little of my chocolate milk many times with no side effects (he even gets cho. ice cream occasionally). in fact, he got into some chocolate x-mas candy and nothing happened other than he got the runs.

good luck!

Well, Taurus ate a whole chocolate bar once when he was about a year and a half old.... I was pretty worried, but we watched him for the rest of the day, and he was fine... I am sure she will be fine too. I just figure its better to be safe then sorry, and ask. I thought I read somewhere that milk was bad for dogs too... so I wasn't sure if this would be doubly bad.

K, the ingrediants are:
• Sugar
• Water
•Cocoa
• Salt
• Citric Acid
• Potassium Sorbate
• Vanillin
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kelliek » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:33 am

i think that since on the ingedients the cocoa is in the emiddle you don't have too much to worry about.

i too have heard that milk was bad for dogs but i don't think it harms them, i think it is more of a digestive problem, but i could be wrong. anyone else know?
Kelliek

Postby K » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:42 am

Top ingredient sugar...watch out for HYPERDOGJADA!!!!!...I think she will be fine as I said...but if you are unsure call or go to the vets...its what they are paid (and highly too) for right 8)
K

Postby megan203 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:15 am

I've been told that it's really baking chocolate that you have to be careful with around dogs. A little chocolate milk isn't going to hurt, just keep a better eye on the glass from now on.... :)
megan203

Postby whiskeyman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:58 pm

megan203 wrote:I've been told that it's really baking chocolate that you have to be careful with around dogs. A little chocolate milk isn't going to hurt, just keep a better eye on the glass from now on.... :)

Megan is right. it is the baker's choc that is the worst. a dog can eat a huge amount of milk choc with no noticable effects. Milk can sause digestive problems and if your pooch drank enough then she may get the squirts but no real problems.

lol... hershey squirts

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby concreterose » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:28 pm

I agree with everyone else. The milk shouldn't bother her, it's baking chocolate you have to worry about. I hope she doesn't get the squirts...she's a big girl and that's a lot of squirts :yucky:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:34 pm

Actually, REAL milk has no harmful effects on dogs. Ruby and Connor drink a TON of it when we go to the farm.

It is the pasturization and homogenization that makes dogs and people sick from milk.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Kara » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:00 pm

concreterose wrote:I agree with everyone else. The milk shouldn't bother her, it's baking chocolate you have to worry about. I hope she doesn't get the squirts...she's a big girl and that's a lot of squirts :yucky:

roflmao he he... yeah, when she gets them... its not pretty! So far , so good though, no noticable side effects! :)
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby abman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:29 pm

Was at a friends house when his pitbull got into a brand new bag of m and m's , and ate the entire bag(a big bag). They watched him close but he didnt even get sick at all or at least didnt show it. He did however, tear up the couch,tv remote,numerous shoes within a few hours after eating them. His energy level was super high but after the sugar high wore off he slept for 10 hours straight.

He's still alive today at 15 years old with no major health problems(he ate the chocolate about 8 years ago).

Definitelykeep an eye out but should be fine.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby moto1320 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:04 pm

My Stepmothers Great Dane ate bon-bons and other chocolates all the time when they were growing up in France. A dog that big can eat alot of milk cocolate before trouble.
Last edited by moto1320 on Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues