PORK? attention BARFERS

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby jmann4 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:16 am

No. No pork bones. Raw or cooked. They are softer than beef bones and can still splinter.
jmann4

Postby pollypop » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:42 pm

Eh, I feed them, my dogs love them, and we haven't had any problems with them yet. They ARE soft, but in my experience they tend to crumble rather than splinter.

They can be really fatty, though, so they're not good to give all the time.
pollypop

Postby pollypop » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:56 pm

There are as many different opinions about and styles of BARF as there are dogs and people feeding it. lol

Many people don't like raw pork because of the possibility of trichinosis, but I don't worry about it too much. It's very rare in the US these days, and in most of the cases where someone contracts it, they contract it from eating undercooked game meat.

If you are worried about the possibility of trichinosis, you can freeze the pork products which are less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5°F to kill any worms.
pollypop

Postby whiskeyman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:02 pm

I don't feed barf but I have gave pork neck bones as a treat a fw times.

The inside of them are... ummm how do i explain it?

like a beehive or like bubbles stacked on top of each other and they tend to crumble instead of splinter. I have given them a few times with no trouble and i think i will continue to give them every so often.

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:07 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:thanks jer.

i really dont think they will do her any harm. the bone seems pretty soft, and not splintery. and yea, i saw the "bubbles" lol
isnt that marrow or something?

i know nothing about meat! this is all new to me!

:yucky:

yep that is where the marrow is
whiskeyman

Postby mnp13 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:47 pm

Cooked pork bones will shatter, as will raw weight bearing pork bones.

You need to fill every available inch of freezer space with the beef from ME!!! :))

Please PM me with how much you wanted again!

Michelle
mnp13

Postby elizer » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:43 pm

pollypop wrote:If you are worried about the possibility of trichinosis, you can freeze the pork products which are less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5°F to kill any worms.

actually even under 6 inches it stillt akes a couple days to kill the trichoniosis, and sometimes theres a chance that the worms wont even die

i fed my pup neck bones once, he got the runs so i never fed them to him again.
elizer

Postby mydogroxy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:11 am

i've used pork neck on occassion. i never had a problem with the stuff.

ill have to sucker the shelter i work at to let me use their freezer!

you don't mean "the freezer" do you?!?! (you know what i'm talking about!)
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby twiseowl » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:19 am

Many people on the rawfeeding yahoo list I'm on feed pork - like someone else said, there are always going to be some people for and some against every aspect of raw feeding / BARF.

When I was feeding raw, I fed mainly pork neck bones (cut large) and chicken leg quarters, with beef or pork liver and raw eggs weekly and other things occasionally (as they were on sale / affordable). My dogs looked and acted great, and never had a problem with any of it. The ONLY reason I quit feeding recently is my freezer died and we haven't been able to afford another. Hopefully we will soon, as I'm not liking the loads left in the yard from switching back to kibble, and some skin allergies have cropped up. And deer season is here, I need to put a bug in my hubby's hunting friend's ears to give me the scraps! Last year, my dogs feasted on several spine / ribcages he brought home. It was below freezing out, and I just kept them out in the yard for the dogs to gnaw on until they were gone. Free food, yay!!!!!

And Eli, many dogs will get the runs from ANY new food, just because their system isn't used to it. Just because they got it from feeding pork once does not mean it's bad for them, just that their system needed time to adjust.
twiseowl

Return to Health Issues