is this normal for demodectic mange?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

is this normal for demodectic mange?

Postby XxxTripxxX » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:50 pm

we have had my dog daizee since she was 10 weeks and that was back in late june. she has had on and off again patches of hair missing and the vet has just recomended that we just see if they will go away on there own. but several weeks ago we noticed it started getting really bad missing alot of hair from her chest and a few patches on her back and she has been getting this puss filled bumps. the vet then put her on ivomec which she ahs been on for the past week and is clearing up good (skin is not raw looking its back to its normal color just no growing hair back yet) but it seems like the bumps have gotten worse look like huge zits on her. is that normal for mange or is that another skin problem? also for those who have had a dog with mange how long did it take for the hair to start growing back?
XxxTripxxX

Postby Kelliek » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:08 pm

welcome to the board! my dog cody had mange as a pup and went thru a lot of dips for mange and it was expensive. i stopped the dips and put him on supplements. i added flax seed powder, flax seed oil, vitamin E, fish oil and olive oil. his hair started growing back in 3 days. i still supplement his diet. if you do a search on mange some other peopple use a variety of supplements. basically mange is caused by a weak immune system and the supplements give a boost. cody never experienced bumps so i don't have any advise there. but i'm sure someone on here can help with that.
Kelliek

Postby Hondovious » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:53 pm

Zeus had some mange for a while as well when he was wround 4-6 months old. Just a few spots that got thin. Tried Goodwinol from the vet, then Ivermec. Neither seemed to help much. I switched his food to Timberwolf which has flaxseed and fish oils in it, and also started adding an egg every other day to his kibble. His coat is now completely full and looks better than ever.
Hondovious

Postby Maximus » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:37 pm

The puss-filled bumps sound to me like a secondary infection, which is common with mange, particularly generalized mange, which it sounds like your pup has. That may need to be treated with antibiotics.

And like others have said, demodex is an indication of a weak immune system, so you need to do whatever you can now to get that pup's immunity back on track! To start with, what are you feeding her?
Maximus

Postby pocketpit » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:05 pm

:goodpost:
pocketpit

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:25 am

Ok, Ok, Ok!

I'm here...lmao!

This is one thing I am slowly but surely becoming a proffesional on....
You need to get your pup on antibiotics as it seems to be an infection but unless a vet looks at it you wont know, Baloo gets the mange bumps and they are white headed. DO NOT POP THEM., WHAT EVER YOU DO! It will spread 1,000 times faster...You need to answer a few things...

Whats the age?
Is the pup been fixed yet?
When was the last skin scraping that you had?
What food is the pup on?
is the pup on Any supplements yet?
What is the pup on now? Ivermectin daily? How much?
Have you done dips?
Is the pup on any flea, tick meds?
Is the pup on heart worm?

Answer these and I will let you know what Im doing with baloo....

BEFORE....

AFTER.....

If you REALLY want to fix this....and want my help....just let me know! Id be VERY glad to help ya.....
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

mange

Postby XxxTripxxX » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:11 am

thanks for the reply's. daizee girl is 6 months now, she hasn't been fixed yet but she will, the vet gave us ivomec :sp?: so we have been ginving her 1 cc shots once a day, we have been giving her 1 flax seed pill a day i dont recall exactly how much thyat is though at the moment. and she was on eukanubia but just switched to a lamb and rice for her. she has a appointment wensday night for a follow up. but overall she ahs been looking better her coat has smoothed out its not as patchy as is was. jsut she is covered in those nasty puss bumps. i will ask boutt eh secondary skin infection though. thanks for ur replies and advice.

jed & daizee
XxxTripxxX

Postby Leslie H » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:16 pm

I'll defer to Jessa's knowledge here, but I can contribute some. If she is coming into heat soon, demo can flare up. Some females only have signs of demo during their heat cycle. Demo typically clears between8-10 months or so, as the immune system develops.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:30 pm

Leslie H wrote:I'll defer to Jessa's knowledge here, but I can contribute some. If she is coming into heat soon, demo can flare up. Some females only have signs of demo during their heat cycle. Demo typically clears between8-10 months or so, as the immune system develops.

Note that Leslie said TYPICALLY Clears between 8-10 months old....Baloo is soon to be 1 year old here in a week or so and he had a break out about 6 weeks ago and is still getting a bump here or there. You should put your pup in the vet ASAP to get her fixed, I dont know your intentions but what ever you do, DO NOT BREED HER. Demo will pass to the pups...
So get your PET fixed ASAP! It will cause it to break out BADLY....

I am going to post a post here in Health on supplements and my success with them and all that I know about Demodex for you and a few others that have Pm'd me ok....

Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby XxxTripxxX » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:47 am

daizee will be fixed here shortly. i know better to bred and i m am goin to be taking in male apbt here shortly thats been living behind my friends that is just stuck in his 5'X8' cage for the past two years. thanks again
XxxTripxxX

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:15 pm

Your welcome....Good luck. Make sure if you have any more questions go to my demodex mange post ok!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Return to Health Issues