Hair questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Hair questions

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:32 am

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... air+growth

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... air+growth

Ok, so combining the two, with the knowledge that Snoopy has a two-inch embroidered martingale, and no fur on the underside of his neck, would it be a safe assumption that it would take about 3-6 mo for the hair to regrow right there? And in the mean time, what can I use for a collar that wouldnt hurt the regrowth as much? He has a show chain on now, but I dont want to leave him with out a collar since he will be out and about this weekend. Anything I can give him that will boost the growth rate of the hair?

Second, his bald spot. It's driving me crazy, I tell you. Snoopy has a bald spot smack in the middle on the top of his head. It first surfaced along with bacterial and yeast infections in his ears. We did skin scrapes and stuff and found no mites. He was previously treated for sarcoptic mites about 5-6 mo before this past vet visit. Even then, no mites were found. And I know that just because they arent found doesnt mean they dont exist. We were given Panalog, Prednisone and Amoxicillan for the whole schebang and it cleared everything up. Anyway, within the past week, he's started to lose hair in the same spot as he did about 3-4 months ago. Nothing too major has happened, he's been put back on Merrick foods after me trying to find something slightly cheaper that works as well (tried BB, and even Nutro) but nothing makes his coat/dandruff look as good as on Merrick. I've contemplated envronmental allergies, and the vets I have talked to without bringing him in suggested that I put some left over Panalog on the spot to see if it helps. I've been doing that for 3 days now, and unlike his ears, I havent seen much of an improvement. (I noticed a near immediate improvement when i was treating his ears) He's not unusually itchy, that I have noticed. Which is why i am here asking for opinions as to what could be causing the balding. And he's a white doggie so his balding areas stick out more than others.

Just curious, is all. thanks!

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:06 am

I dont know about the other things. My pup had her skull scrapped for testing as well about two weeks ago. Its almost 90% covered with hair now. So that shouldnt take long.

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:08 am

Sorry for the double post, but I have a bit more information.

If you look at my avatar, you can see on her front right paw, she had a tumor there. When the tumor died out, it took about two months and it was still not fully covered with hair!

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:22 am

I've had to regrow the hair on the top of his head before, so I know up there doesnt take too long, cuz it's a lot smaller. My worry was what was causing the balding. I tend to ramble, so sorry if I wasnt clear originally.

I figure the hair on his neck -- since he is pretty bald -- will take at least 2 months to regrow. It just kinda sucks since any collar will cause a rub and its kinda backwards of my goal--having the hair grow back. lol

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:02 am

I don't want to freak you out here, but when my pup started developing that bald spot, it then started bulging out and became a tumor. Thats what the vet told me. To my luck, it just bled a couple of months after and died out, returning to its original bald state. Now its almost fully grown.

If you've had a bald spot grow on your pups neck just like that, I would presonally recommend you see your vet!

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:00 am

Have you done a fungal culture on him?

Ella developed a bald spot on her ear (no redness, it was just bald) and I took her into the vet 2 different times for it. The first time she was treated for demodex. After 2 weeks of it not improving, we did a fungal culture on her.
Turned out to be an environmental fungus so we treated for that and it cleared up. The hair STILL hasn't 100% grown back, but it has grown back a LOT.
Fungal cultures, here anyway at my vet, cost $98. It wasn't cheap but we got down to the problem and the treatment IS cheap. It's a simple anti-fungal cream that you can buy at the store. Lamisil AT is what we got. Worked like a charm.
Whatever you do, DO NOT treat for mange AND fungus at the same time.
One or the other, so I suggest a trip BACK to the vet for a fungal culture.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:25 pm

Fungus is usually the last thing they look for, but it is actually more common than people think!

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:32 pm

I havent done a fungal culture, and truth be told, it hadnt crossed anyone (minus the fabs on PBF) to do one. Are the symptoms the other dogs have had, just balding in a small area, or were there other things along with it?

I wanna see if the Panalog will clear it up before I take him in. It might be a permanent fix, it might not. But if it will save me a trip to the vet at this moment, it can't hurt (car payment due this week). Right? lol And if it gets worse, he will for sure be going in.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:36 pm

You can try some anti-fungal shampoos too. I think Head & Shoulders is supposed to work. (Is that the one MissKiwi?)

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:41 pm

LindsaySF wrote:You can try some anti-fungal shampoos too. I think Head & Shoulders is supposed to work. (Is that the one MissKiwi?)

He does need a bath! lol

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:06 am

Ella's ear just had a bald spot.
Coincidentally, she had some yeast build up in her ears at the same time so I had to treat her with ear drops. But I don't think that had anything to do with the fungus, just coincidence.

If panalog doesn't clear it up and you cannot afford to take him to the vet (which is totally understandable) do the anti-fungus shampoos like suggested, and get some Lamisil AT and try that (a dab twice daily).
I mean, it won't hurt his bald spot to put the cream on it, so I'd try it.
But AFTER you get done with the panalog, not before. Good luck! :))

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:39 pm

How long should I expect Panalog to clear it up, if at all? If I dont see an improvement after 2 weeks, I will do the anti-fungal shampoo/Lamasil. How's that sound?

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:05 am

Some dogs have problems with nylon collars ripping the hair out of their dogs necks. This could be contributing to an existing problem. Can you try a collar that is lined with fabric?

If the hair is really gone I would agree that it would be a couple of months before you will notice the hair filling in.

Panalog works very well at healing areas. Muay has a really bad crop job and still scratches at her ears. When I use panalog on them they heal very fast.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:01 pm

LindsaySF wrote:You can try some anti-fungal shampoos too. I think Head & Shoulders is supposed to work. (Is that the one MissKiwi?)

I believe its Selsun Blue and Head and Shoulders Intensive... I think...

panda
Matured Bully

Postby panda » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Do you also regularly supplement the Merrick with fish or omega 3 oil? My girl has skin allergies and I supplement with omega 3 otherwise her fur tends to thin out in spots......... just a thought. Oh, and I also give sea kelp.

Return to “Health Issues”