Diet for a puppy?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Diet for a puppy?

Postby chris allen » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:19 pm

Ok went to the vet today and Leroy is a whopping 53 lbs at 6 months and 2 weeks. Almost the same weight as his father and bigger than his mother. I know he isnt slim, but he certainly isnt fat and lazy. Do you think I should put him on a different diet now, or do you think since he is still a puppy to just let him grow and eat as he is and when he gets older make sure he isnt overweight? The vet wasnt concerned, just said hes a big boy.

He definately gets alot of exercise, plenty of running in our big yard, playing with Lola, and recently I made the springpole which I go out with him and let him tug on that daily(about 10-15 minutes of serious exercise). So he probably gets total about 1-2 hours a day outside playing with us or with Lola. Im also using wellness now and he gets fed 3 x per day, 1 cup each feeding. Probably also two biscuits(also wellness) per day.

What would you suggest?

chris allen

Postby violet » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:29 pm

Woohoo...I know how to answer this one. Here is a link to this topic under the health section.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43
violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby gypsydog » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:30 pm

Just me but I would feed him the same puppy food you are feeding him now as long as its a quality one. As with any larger dog I would watch his activity level while his bones are still growing and developing. He doesn't look overweight though if that is what you are worried about. My male got real big real fast and was about the same weight as your dog at 6 months and then he really never got much bigger, just filled out some. I thought he was going to be huge at one point, but to my satisfaction he didn't get much bigger.
gypsydog

Postby damienApbt » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:04 pm

i know a lot of puppy food has extra suplements. mostly growth supplements which causes pups to get too big too fast. with puppies you can get them on a good quality adult dry kibble and be fine. i for one wish i knew this. some times if pups get too big too soon their young bones cant handle the added weight and develop slightly different than normal. my boy rod got too big too fast which is what i believe caused his lower front legs to slanted in.

they will get as big as they are supposed to no need to add extra supplements in there food, just so long as its healthy food.
damienApbt
Regulator

Return to Health Issues