Elmo is broken

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Elmo is broken

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:49 pm

:frown: It could be time for his retirement.

He came out of my bedroom on 3 legs a couple days ago, holding up a rear leg, probably after jumping off the bed. I checked the foot out, and couldn't find anything. He was running around on all 4 again by then, so I figured he just stepped on something and didn't think anything more of it.

Today, I took the dogs out to practice some obedience. After doing the signals, I sent Elmo for a go-out, directed him towards a jump, and after that jump, he returned to me on 3 legs.

Again, he put the other leg down within a few seconds, and was acting normal afterwards, wanting to play. But as I looked at him, trying to remember for sure which leg it was, I noted that he was knuckling under on the left rear. Knuckling under is a pretty bad sign.

I suspect it may be a back problem, rather than anything with the leg itself, because he's had arthritis in his back for some time, and because the leg doesn't seem particularly uncomfortable. Though he did carry it again for several steps on our walk this afternoon.

Unfortunately, our regular chiropractor is out of town till almost the end of the month. I don't want to wait that long to have Elmo looked at! I called Dr. Lisa, a DVM/chiropractor who has adjusted my dogs at agility trials sometimes (she sets up a booth at some of them). She's located a few hours south of me, but I trust her and she's familiar with Elmo's history. I have to go to work tomorrow, so I can't drive down there till next week... she's going to have a booth at some event next Thursday (the 22nd), which is a bit closer to me (only a 2 hour drive), so I'll probably be taking Elmo to her then, unless he starts acting a lot worse and I want to take him earlier. She also told me to take Elmo to my regular vet and get him on some anti-inflammatories if he continues to knuckle under.

So, unless Dr. Lisa finds some simple, curable thing that I'm not thinking of, poor Elmo is probably going to be retired after this. He's going to hate that! Cross your fingers for him.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Fingers crossed for Elmo.

How old is he?

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Poor Elmo!! I'm sure he'll miss it but retirement is pretty sweet too!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him too!!! He's such an awesome dog!! :)

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Aww, I hope everything turns out OK, Sarah.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Elmo is 10- he'll be 11 in July. Unfortunately, while he's an older dog, he still has a lot of wild man left in him, and is not mentally ready for retirement. He loves to compete! But I just don't know anyway for him to safely compete if jumping is a problem for him. I don't think lower jump heights will make enough of a difference, especially since he still clears 16" even when the jumps are set much lower.

Purr

Postby Purr » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Aw, poor Elmo!! If he does have to retire, maybe you can set up an agility course for him to run, but without jumps; weavepoles, tunnels, teeter totter, etc. so he feels like he's still competing and has a job to do.... Just a thought. Fingers crossed for him!!!!

SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby SuperNova » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Poor fella. I'll keep my fingers crossed !

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 pm

aww poor guy i hope its nothing serious!

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Too bad for little Elmo. Sucks that it's so far for a chiro.

Hobbs the other SBT has back problems also and he sometimes does a little skip with his back leg so you can always tell with him when his back is out.

powerbreedrescue

Postby powerbreedrescue » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:48 pm

I hope it is just a simple ouchie that a good adjustment can fix.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:52 pm

I hope Elmo is ok. :sad:

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:43 am

aw fingers crossed for the little wild man

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Poor Elmo! :sad: Hope everything goes well with chiropractor. Keep us posted.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:10 pm

poor elmo. sorry to hear he may be reaching retirement. :sad:

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 pm

Oh Elmo! I hope he is okay and doesn't have to retire. good luck and I hope all goes well!

Return to “Health Issues”