Vet want to charge me $10,000 to fix Ronin

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ronin
Adolescent Bully

Vet want to charge me $10,000 to fix Ronin

Postby Ronin » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:56 pm

Ronin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ronin » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:00 pm

This is the best i could draw his rear legs(knees), the left pic is how it should be, thr right pic is ronins, problem is theres not enough bone up to of his lower leg to properly support is upper bone while running so its moving around and causeing his knees to swell and he limps. hes only 1.5 years old. the vet wants to split the top of his lower leg and put a shim in to make it wider, then graft a small piece on top for the bone to rest in, its 3900 per leg plus reabilitation. i dont know if theres any other options, i give him gluclosamine and it seems to help but for how long.. ANY IDEAS FROM ANYONE??

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:04 pm

Try going to a vet teaching hospital for a second opinion. They may also be able to do the surgery cheaper for you if needed

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Yup, ditto. It never hurts to get a second opinion. If you do end up doing surgery, definately take the time to do the rehabilitation too... amazing stuff!

Ronin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ronin » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:11 pm

where do i find a vet teaching hospital around Reno Nevada?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:16 pm

University of California, Davis is probably the closest teaching hospital. There is also a referral center in Las Vegas that would probably have someone else. You could ask your current vet if he has any suggestions for someone closer. Just ask if he can recommend a board certified orthopedic surgeon because you would like a second opinion before committing to such a huge expense.

Ronin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ronin » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 pm

davis isent to far, couple hours, you have any contact info on them? thanks alot for the time you are taking to help me and Ronin out ;)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:42 pm

Here's a link for you!

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/

You may need to have your vet refer you, I'm not sure. Some hospitals require a referral and others do not.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:22 pm

Danville Vet Hospital (San Francisco's East Bay area) has an insurance program that might be worth a second opinion. They charge ~$150/year for the "insurance policy" and you get all their services 50% off.

(http://www.danvillevet.net/)

You can sign up the day before surgery, so in this case you'd cut your costs significantly with a $150 investment.

It would be about a 4 hour drive from Reno, NV - so if you are going to Davis, you might want to also loop by Danville for a second opinion.

Danville Veterinary Hospital
812 Camino Ramon
Danville, CA
Phone: 925-837-4264 (Call them and ask about the insurance plan.)

DVMs on staff:

Haxby, Barbara J
Kuhn, Roger C, ABVP
Briggs, Kenneth Taylor
Lundy, Christine H

I also know the Danville clinic is partnered with 2 other locations in SF, so you might want to research the vets at the other locations to see if one of them specializes in this type of surgery. I'd also ask the Vet staff at Davis to recommend one or more of their vets. Davis is very expensive - and you do get what you pay for...

I hope this helps.

Marie

PS They are not the most holistic of clinics, so you just have to ignore all the "retail". Dr. Briggs fixed Monte's teeth for Bad Rap, which is how I know about the insurance plan.

Ronin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ronin » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:35 pm

thanks again for the help, i will let you know what way i go but somebodys definatly going to fix em up for me.

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:16 pm

Ronin wrote:thanks again for the help, i will let you know what way i go but somebodys definatly going to fix em up for me.

Someone sent me a list of organizations that can help with medical bills for people who can't afford it. Let me know if you'd like it and I'll PM it to you. Most have a VERY extensive application process, but we're finding it to be very informative in our quest to get new hips for JJ. We may get rejected but at least we will have tried.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Although it's in WA state, WSU has a stellar vet program and do charity cases yearly as well.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:53 am

Poor, poor Ronin.... :(

Look into Care Credit, too....they allow you different programs to pay out the cost of your pet's surgery, without interest. It could help you spread all that money out if you just can't do it all at once. (Who could? Donald Trump??)

Good luck to you guys.

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:22 am

We had to have TPLO surgery done on two legs of our bulldog. Each surgery was $2800. In the surgery, steel plates are screwed into her bones and her tibia is leveled.

I know it's not the same procedure as what Ronin needs, but it seems similar in terms of complexity so I'm wondering why there would be a huge discrepancy in price. We went to an orthopedic vet in Kirkland, WA. So I guess I'm just saying I would get a second opinion for sure - that price seems high to me.

Oh and good luck - the road to recovery is tough. It's harder on us humans I think, than it is on the dog. (:

Return to “Health Issues”