Is it ever too late to get neutered?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Goliath
Newborn Bully

Is it ever too late to get neutered?

Postby Goliath » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:31 pm

I'm might pick up another pit from a family but he isn't neutered yet. He is almost 1 years old. So i was just wondering is it ever too late?

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:45 pm

Nope. Definitely not.

Snip Snip! lol

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:31 pm

It *can* get "too late" in that a much older animal might be put at too much risk by using anesthesia to make it a wise choice to speuter. However, one is still practically a baby. As X-girl said...

SNIP SNIP!!! :thumbsup:

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:31 pm

I pulled my old man Ripley from the shelter at 14 had him neutered then, NOT IDEAL but the only way he could make it out of the shelter. He made it out happy healthy and he is still loving life 9 months later...........a year old is still a baby, he wont even notice they are gone. Vets do them that old everyday.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Yep, one is still very young - no age risks at all.

As has been so wonderfully said, SNIP, SNIP! :thumbsup:

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:04 am

We did Ru's at a year and 3 months. The only thing I would say was different than doing it at the standard 5-6 months, is that there was actually balls to snip. So when he came home the first day he didn't actually look any different, and then slowly day by day they turned kind of black/blue...and then by the end of the week I looked down and he just had little skin flaps...that was it - kind of like deflated balloons.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:34 am

I should have mentioned that one of my dogs was neutered at about 5 years of age (age he was when we adopted him) and he did have more bruising then my other male who was done at 6 months. Both dogs recovered extremely well and there were no issues.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:42 am

When I took my old man Toby to the emergency clinic last year the vet suggested that I neuter him.He is 16 years old!
I took him from my family when I moved to the states and he was already 10 years old.Always been an inside dog and never roamed free.Only dog.It sure wasn't my choice to keep a pet intact but he belonged to my family and I did not feel to put him under at that age for a neuter when I took ownership.
If a vet wanted to neuter him at 16 years old I am sure than one year old is not a problem.If I had a male pup I would wait untill a year to neuter anyway.That if I was absolutely positive of no accidents.

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:30 pm

I got my Collie?Sheperd neutered between 6 and 7, when I adopted the Whippet mix. Up until then, I was a single female lving ina ground floor apartment, and felt safer with him being so territorial. But I had to be hyper-vigilant with anything I did with him. No letting people approach us when we went for our walks, no leaving him unattended for even a minute, etc....

I felt much better when I bought my house and figured out the neighborhood was relatively safe. And no problems with the snippage.....snip away!!

Return to “Health Issues”