Doggy Smell!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tarheelpitbull
Newborn Bully

Doggy Smell!

Postby Tarheelpitbull » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:59 pm

I like my house to smell fresh. so i was wondering what do you guys do about that doggy smell?

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:09 pm

Febreeze Pet Odor formula the hell out of all fabric (couches, chairs, rugs, dog beds, etc..) Febreeze air effects the hell out of the air, and then get doggy freshener spray and spray Emma.

demo-dog
Adolescent Bully

Postby demo-dog » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:33 pm

My wife and I use an oil burner. It's kind of a new-age-hippy thing (please kill me now) but it works great. It's just a tea candle under a little copper "dish" held in a stand. You put a dozen drops or so of an fragrant oil in the dish and light the candle. The heat warms the oil and the fragrance fills the room. Pleasant and subtlee. Not like incense or anything cheap, and not commercial smelling either. It's rather nice. You can buy them usually at large health food stores or nick-nack stores.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:57 pm

I do not use any of the air freshners, Febreeze, sprays, dog colognes, plug in smelly things...., they are toxic to our dogs and us as well.
I have 3 dogs and my house has no dog odor at all.
I do cover my sofa, chairs and bed with either sheets or light blankets (flannel sheets work well), this way I change them every other day more or less, depending on the snow/mud situation.I shake the sheets out every morning to cut down on hair and dander too.
I do brush my dogs at least once per day and wipe off the bottoms of their feet after they have been outside to keep down the mud, dirt, mess.
After they get brushed, I take a damp towel or paper towl (water and white vinegar dampened)and go over them with that to get the loose hair/dander off them.
I put baking soda in my vacuum bags, and change my bags a lot, that can be a source of doggie odor if bags are not changed often.
I feed a high quality kibble, along with lightly cooked meats/chicken/ fish.
The better their diet is the less odor you will notice.
Oh and I bath about once a month in summer, less in winter.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Why does your dog stink? Is it an outside dog that you let in the house? What are you feeding it? I very rarely bathe my dogs, and they hardly ever stink, unless they roll in something nasty.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Khan hasn't had a bath since I got him in August.

I have Khan, 4 cats and a turtle and don't think my house stinks. I occasionally burn candles and I have a renuizit fresh matic by my litter boxes, but that is it.

Oh and occasionally I put a furnace freshner thing in my furnace filter. As far as a air freshner thing it works decent. Every time the furnace kicks on it gives off a scent....kinda over powering when it is brand new.

okiegirl
Newborn Bully

Postby okiegirl » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:01 pm

Rather then trying to cover up the smell, better to figure out why you have a smell at all. Like others said, a good diet, brushing and a quick wipe after they've been outdoors is all we need.

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:46 am

Here's what we do:

First and foremost: GOOD DIET. Will make all the difference.

Ok, assuming you are feeding your dogs to the absolute best of your ability, here are some other things we do:

1. We allow our dogs on all furniture except our bed, and tables...duh. (: So our couches are leather - don't hold smell as easily. And liquids wipe up easily...(:
2. We use cheap blankets in their crates. Wash blankets every weekend. While the blankets are in the wash, wash down the plastic crate tray with a non-toxic cleaner. I use Method brand - the cucumber one smells great!
3. Vaccum under and around crate. I can't believe how much crap accumulates between the crate and the wall - little doggie biscuit particles, HAIR, etc....
4. They are inside dogs - they get walks outside and Rugie has a playdate once a week - but if he's dirty from his playdate we go straight to Dirty Dogs or straight into the shower before he gets to roam the house.
5. Vaccuum - try vacuuming more often - it's amazing how much hair is on the floor after only one day.

That should do it!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:38 pm

Our dogs do not smell but the house does from the carpet and many foster's accidents :frown:
We burn candles. Those "home-lite" ones are the best - see a thread about it in Misc. section.

K9Cabin
Super Bully

Postby K9Cabin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:38 pm

Another tip:

Only buy dog beds with machine washable covers. Take the cover off, slip the bed stuffing inside a thick garbage bag, tape it closed and then put the cover back on. Wash the cover and change the bag regularly.

This way the bed stuffing stays clean and doesn't hold any odors!
:thumbsup:

Tarheelpitbull
Newborn Bully

Postby Tarheelpitbull » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

She doesnt smell bad. but I noticed a slight odor after she's been out playing. I hadnt really noticed a bad smell around the house either, I was just looking for something that would prevent that from happening. I think im obsessed with scents. I want everything to smell like ocean breeze, vanilla spice, etc. lol . Does anyone use any type of doggy colognes?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:37 am

dog colognes are very toxic to our dogs.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:40 am

pblove wrote:dog colognes are very toxic to our dogs.

:thumbsup:
Always remember as a rule of thumb that anything used on your dog topically will most likely also be ingested....
ick.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:09 am

Tarheelpitbull wrote:She doesnt smell bad. but I noticed a slight odor after she's been out playing. I hadnt really noticed a bad smell around the house either, I was just looking for something that would prevent that from happening. I think im obsessed with scents. I want everything to smell like ocean breeze, vanilla spice, etc. lol . Does anyone use any type of doggy colognes?

I don't use cologne, but I use Earth Bath wipes to wipe them down when their feet get muddy or they make me itchy (I am allergic to dogs and cats). It smells very good!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:41 am

I follow the same ideas as PBLove. My Partner sews so we typically have 2 slipcovers that move on and off the couch and chair.

I also find that wall-to-wall carpet and pets is more of a pain than I'm willing to deal with.

We have had both big area rugs and carpet hunks (bound off) and I get them cleaned regularly.

I also buy smaller throw rugs for by doorways that can get tossed into the washer.

We've also been looking at FLOR because you can pop up just one square and wash and dry it.

Return to “Health Issues”