welness vs. california natural fish and sweet potato

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
morrisettawinnymom

welness vs. california natural fish and sweet potato

Postby morrisettawinnymom » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:32 am

i have three apbts. i fed nutro natural choice lamb and rice for a long time to all three. my trainer suggested switching my reactive dog winston to fish and potato because lamb is a "hotter" protein and fish is more of a calming protein. he was also having skin allergies. i switched just him to wellness fish and potato and had great results. his temperament improved and his skin

now my 7 yr old female is being treated for arthritis/joint and bone damage from and old fracture that was never detected. so i thought i will just switch all three to fish and potato since i had such good result(i may still switch my female to raw but need to do much research)

anyway--i am now gunna switch them all the cal. natural fish and potato because it is priced much better and cal. natural is well respected. has anyone noticed a difference of the two?

is there a legit reason wellness is so much more expensive? hte ingredients are very similar.

wellness F&P was $48 for a30 lb bag
cal. natural F&P was $35 for a 36lb bag

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:28 am

Have you considered Nature's Variety, for about as same as wellness?
I like the idea of the Bio-coating, which means they coat the kibble in dehydrated raw food. The meat percentage is higher that way.Overall a good food.I fed Wellness for a few months and I like NV much better.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:28 am

All I know from a personal friend and several forum opinions (both PBF and my friend's EB board) is that Wellness changed their formulas a few years ago and the food has not been the same since. The consensus is that dogs don't do very well on it anymore.

morrisettawinnymom

Postby morrisettawinnymom » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:46 am

i get so confused. i swear you need to be a chemist to figure this all out. i will check out the pricing for natures variety.

i have only heard good things about california natural so i thought maybe the wellness thing was just overpriced-- but could be the store also

i know grains can aggravate arthritis joint problems and i considered innova/ no grain formula but my girl is on a low dose of rimadyl and tramadol until we can get a screen with a uc davis orhtopedic surgeon to eval if she needs surgery so i worried about liver damage because i heard innova can be hard on the liver and with rimadyl???

oye. :frown:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:10 am

Yea.. I heard Wellness changed too, my allergy dog did great on Wellness F and S.P, the last bag he started to show signs of allergy problems..

I love the California Natural foods, but allergy dog coudlnt take it for some reason.

Love it on my pitty tho, makes her skin and her coat sooo nice!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:30 am

Sheila is eating CN lamb and rice right now. I'm pretty happy with it.

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:38 am

One of the biggest things to consider is how allergic are your dogs? If at all? Maybe your other dogs would benefit from a more balanced food, rather than an allergy formulation.

Cal Natural's formulas have way less ingredients than Wellness' formulas, so I've found that people pitters naturally do better on the Cal Natural stuff, especially if they're the sensitive types. That might explain the difference in cost as well. I've rarely found a pit that does well on Wellness (no pun intended lol )

Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby Rugersmama » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:39 am

Before we got Rugie, our bulldog Maggie was allergy queen. Well the breed bulldog should just say it all. LOL. We tried CN - but she refused to eat it. She's been on Wellness ever since and has done well.

When we got Rugie I put him on Wellness b/c Mags did so great on it. But he didn't. It took about a year for me to see the problems - they developed slowly. His coat got dingier, coarser and flakier. He didn't bounce back from little scrapes/scratches as quickly as he should have.

I switched him to raw and he has done a 180. His coat is soft & lustrous and even his attitude is a bit better. Maggie is still on Wellness for now because she refuses to eat the raw...but I'm always reading these threads and thinking about switching her to something else.

incorigabull
Newborn Bully

Postby incorigabull » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:10 pm

I actually switched my allergy dog from raw to Calif. Nat. Fish/Potato a few months ago. I hate to admit it, but he actually seems better on the kibble than raw. He's almost four, was started on raw when I got him at 6 months. Having fed raw for so long, what I hate the most is the "huge" poops I have to clean up from him now. But if it keeps him from mutilating himself, I'll do it. I've also been able to cut down his every other day baths to every 2-3 weeks, and his 6 antihistimines a day down to as needed on bad days. I haven't tried the Wellness though.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:54 pm

my dogs always do great on california natural foods. much better than wellness or canidae, which are the other two foods we've fed over the years here. i have never fed the cali nat F&SP, always the lamb or chicken varieties, though!

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:00 am

anybody got a valid web link for california natural foods? I did a search and keep coming up with funky things.

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:59 am

I actually switched my allergy dog from raw to Calif. Nat. Fish/Potato a few months ago. I hate to admit it, but he actually seems better on the kibble than raw. He's almost four, was started on raw when I got him at 6 months. Having fed raw for so long, what I hate the most is the "huge" poops I have to clean up from him now. But if it keeps him from mutilating himself, I'll do it. I've also been able to cut down his every other day baths to every 2-3 weeks, and his 6 antihistimines a day down to as needed on bad days. I haven't tried the Wellness though.

There's nothing wrong with good correct kibble! I think this post proves that just because a dog is fed raw doesn't mean that it still won't suffer from allergies. I have to explain this to so many bully owners when they want to switch to raw to escape allergies. Say - if your dog is allergic to lamb - it won't matter if it's raw lamb or lamb kibble necessarily.

The advantage to raw sometimes is that you can specifically control ingredients to determine what your dog is sensitive to, unlike a preformulated kibble. However with the new actual real "allergic" formulas (some of these are worse than the regular diets) you can do wonders and don't necessarily have to go raw.

Personally I'm a Natural Balance allergic kibble sort of girl. I LOVE those foods for truly super allergic bullies. However my next choice would be Cal Nat for sensitive dogs - dogs that do fine usually except for sensitivity to a few ingredients.

The great thing about Cal Natural is that it is very simple food - not a lot of ingredients. Canidae, Wellness are good foods IF your dog can eat everything that's in the formulations.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 pm

wellness gives my dogs loose stools.

here is the cal natural site:

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Maryellen wrote:here is the cal natural site:

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab

Thanks Maryellen...I was coming up with all sorts of stuff, except for the right site!

Return to “Health Issues”