What IS that!?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
~!Sasha!~
Newborn Bully

What IS that!?!

Postby ~!Sasha!~ » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:01 pm

Ok, recently Chico has been sounding pretty funny. He's been sneezing alot and after he sneezes he does this snoring thing that sounds like he's trying to spti out a loogey. It's a nasty sound but he's been doin it alot and he's never done it before. Any suggestions? If I had a video, I'd post it to give you guys a better visual.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:04 pm

is it a backwards sneeze??

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:26 pm

sounds like a reverse sneeze..look in his nose to make sure there is nothing stuck in there..Trixie has done this on several occasions and I have had to take her in to get her nose scoped cause I thought it was a foxtail..but seems they can get something in there and itrritate it for a few days and then they do the reverse sneeze thing

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:00 pm

One of my allergy boys reverse sneezes frequently and the vet just says to give him Benadryl when it's bad.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:28 pm

Yep, Ernie does this every morning.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:41 am

If its throughout the day or especially at night, it may be kennel cough ( bordetella)

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 am

Arnold does it all the time, more so when excited.. I have been told if the dog becomes paniced(continues to do it and acts panicy) you can stop them by A)plugging the nose or B)blowing in the nostrils. Sometimes they just get over zealous and forget to breath and you just need to calm them. I've never run into it with Arnold getting bad but my buddies dogo argentino gets really over zealous and begins to panic so Mike has to plug his nose and tell him to settle then all is fine again. strange dog.

TylerBing

Postby TylerBing » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:45 am

My Nikko was doing something like that. Sounds like he's snorting and trying to scratch the back of his throat. (That's what it would seem like for humans). At first I thought he had something stuck b/c he was tearing up teddy bears and I thought the stuffing was going up his nose. I had taken him to the vet, Nikko turned out fine. Then he kind of stopped and now he does it once in a while. I watched him to see when was it that this happened and I figured its when he gets nervous or excited that he does it.

I had never seen a dog do this before. At one point, in the beginning when I first brought him home my mother was visiting. She's constantly stratching the back of throat and makes that snorting sound, she gets asthma. I started to think that Nikko was immitating her. I told her what I thought, I don't think she was too amused. lol

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:02 pm

The Bichon here in the office reverse-sneezes all the time. What is it for? Is he trying to get an itch in his throat?

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:46 pm

A lot of times it's allergies for sure - either diet or seasonal outdoor. We have "weezy" pitters all the time...

~!Sasha!~
Newborn Bully

Postby ~!Sasha!~ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:44 pm

I hope it isn't serious...:( He usually does it when I get home from school so I think its that he gets real excited but then again we go outside and he does it too. Now, he's got a cough with it and its like he's trying to spit up something caught in his throat. Is it safe to check and make sure nothing's wrong without a vet?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:23 pm

Annika wrote:The Bichon here in the office reverse-sneezes all the time. What is it for? Is he trying to get an itch in his throat?

Sometimes dogs get a collapsing trachea and need to do something to get it back open.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... ourceID=42

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:32 pm

If he's got a cough with it, he needs to be seen by a vet. Tell them that he's coughing when you make the appointment, as they will probably want to keep him away from other dogs in the waiting room- he might be contagious.

~!Sasha!~
Newborn Bully

Postby ~!Sasha!~ » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:03 pm

Aww man. I seen his nose running today too. Right now I'm just going to lean towards allergies cuz the weather's been wacky this week and that could be it. And he has waken me up a few times in the night by snorting really hard to the point where it sounds like its painful. I will try to get him to the vet as soon as I can because right now, I don't have the money to pay right away. I hate to prolong this if its what you guys are suggesting (kennel cough, collapsed trachea, etc.) but he will have to. Thanks for the suggestions you guys, oh and BTW what's backwards (reverse) sneeze?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Dogs don't really get allergies like that. The symptoms you are describing sound the most like kennel cough, so please keep him away from other dogs. Be aware that if it is kennel cough, it's possible that it could go away on it's own. It's also possible that he could become much sicker, and potentially even die. There's also a dog flu going around which has similar symptoms to kennel cough and has killed a lot of dogs.

You really, really need to get this dog to a vet.

A reverse sneeze is a horking noise that dogs make which is pretty much what it sounds like- a sort of sneeze on the inhale instead of the exhale. A lot of dogs get it, and it's not a big deal. It's possible that your dog has had this before, but right now, he's a sick dog.

Return to “Health Issues”