Vet in Chgo area....Please recomend.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bamawrly
Super Bully

Vet in Chgo area....Please recomend.

Postby bamawrly » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:08 pm

I may need a vet in the Chicago area that specializes in hip disorders. I'm waiting on the basic testing for my baby who has sore hips. I feel the need to be prepared for the worst...just in case. Anyone know of someone? I was told Douglas Hammer in Norridge and Claude Gendreau in Buffalo Grove, any experience with either?

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:35 pm

Welcome fellow Chicagoan! I don't know of any vets that specialize in hip disorders. I take my pooches to Fox Animal Hospital.

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Layla was found on the west side of Chgo abandoned under a porch with another puppy at about 2-3 months. She was malnourished and had mange when we adopted her. She was on antibiotics for most of her first year due to her reoccuring skin issues. We've been going to VCA as her vet for all the basics but I wouldn't trust them for anything major. They tested her for everything when we were dealing with her breakouts and skin flare ups, thyroid, ticks, mites etc...Then after every test came back negative they sent us to a dermatolagist in Buffalo Grove. She looked at the tests and asked a few questions and said it's allergies. We did a food trial and sure as s**t it worked. Thousands of dollars in tests and antiboitics later all it took was a food change. She's been fine for four years minus a break out in early spring every year (something blooming probally).
If this hip issue is something major no way in hell am I having treatment at VCA, especally if it involves surgery.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 pm

How sad. :( Thankfully she is in a much better place!

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:26 pm

8)

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi and I am so glad you got the puppy and saved her.

I live in the suburbs of chicago and there is a great vet there:

Minooka Animal Hospital They are wonderful wtih pits/bigger dogs.

We have a 4 1/2 month old American bulldog/lab mix.

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Which suburbs?

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:46 pm

I live in channahon, close to Joliet, Minooka, Shorewood area.

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:35 am

Sorry can't help ya that far south. Personally I'd just search the hell out of the clinics and vets. Do a Google search about the offices themselves, then do a search about the vets. If you find alot about the vet that means there is a good chance he/she is being talked about. Maybe honored for something, writes clinical papers, is on boards, etc. The doc (human) I work for has his name all over the web for those reasons, and he knows his s**t. I'd also try word of mouth, see who everyone else uses. Ask when you go to pet store, groomer, dog park, neighbors, etc...
Good luck.

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:37 am

Never mind, though I was on another topic....disregard.

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:37 am

Wait...that wasn't such a bad answer. :oops:

CALLEN329
Adolescent Bully

Postby CALLEN329 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:26 pm

If you are that far south its tough. I used Fox Lake Animal Hospital when Blu broke his leg.

DON'T USE BGAH. Buffalo Grove is ridiculous. I would NEVER go there, I've had two dealings with them in the last year, never again. They actually went as far as to tell my boyfriend he was a bad pet owner because he wanted some information up front before I drove around the chicagoland area with bad knees and a 65 lb dog with a broken leg.

We used Wheatland Animal Hospital in Naperville when Blu swallowed the tennis ball chunk.

Good luck!

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:23 pm

We ended up going to Norwood Park Animal Hospital with Dr. Douglas Hammer, much closer. I'm glad I did. It turned out it wasn't her hips at all. He did a bunch of xrays of different hip positions. All were fine so he xrayed her knees to check them and her ligaments and cartilage. Those were fine also. He said she had urine scald around her vulva area, too much tissue constantly trapping urine. He mentioned a surgery to remove some tissue to make it more taught if it kept happening. Who'd think?! So she now is on antibiotics and we have to wipe her when she comes in. Also apply Desitin baby ointment. Now she smells like the big baby she is.
We'll see what happens.

CALLEN329
Adolescent Bully

Postby CALLEN329 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Wow, what a princess!

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:19 am

Yea...no kidding.
The way my husband dotes on her you'd think she was the queen of everything.

Return to “Health Issues”