Heads up, dog food recall!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Heads up, dog food recall!!

Postby beckerhead » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Most of us here don't feed these brands, but friends and family may so here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070316/ap_ ... ood_recall

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:45 pm

what food is it?? I just skimmed but couldnt find the brand.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:50 pm

I know some of my clients feed those crap!!
just sent them an email with the story/link
thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:58 pm

You have to go to the main site, then the "recall" menu, and the site is jammed out right now with traffic.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm

beckerhead wrote:You have to go to the main site, then the "recall" menu, and the site is jammed out right now with traffic.

Ahh thats why that link wouldnt work for me.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:55 pm

The full list of food brands and types will be up tomorrow.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:08 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/

60 million containers of pet food recalled
Eukanuba, Iams and store brands tied to kidney failure, deaths

Slide show

A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

“At this juncture, we’re not 100 percent sure what’s happened,” said Paul Henderson, the company’s president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company’s “cuts and gravy” style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6. The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site — www.menufoods.com/recall — early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods’ three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

“To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product,” Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Crap. I have to go in and work all night pulling ALL this product from our shelves, regardless of code. We don't want to take any chances. Those poor pups, maybe next time people will believe me when I tell them to feed something else.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:57 pm

Kingsgurl, is every Petsmart going to do the same?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:07 am

As far as I know, yes. I think once we are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that ONLY the date/production codes listed are to blame, we will restock, but not until then. I left work for the day before this came down, so I'm just going off the phone call I got calling me in for tonight.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:08 am

so what brand is it?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:26 am

I don't have the list here, it's at work, where I am not going for another hour, but from what I understand, it includes a LOT of brands, including Iams and Eukanuba. All cans and Pouches. I can post up info when I get a chance tomorrow (although by that time, I am sure the info will be readily available)

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:27 am

As far as I know, yes. I think once we are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that ONLY the date/production codes listed are to blame, we will restock, but not until then. I left work for the day before this came down, so I'm just going off the phone call I got calling me in for tonight.

I am going to see what happens at the local Petsmart tomorrow.
Shouldn't all stores remove those foods? What is the appropriate way to approach a store about it? The local BX and Commissary on base carry Iams, Eukanuba and other brands that are probably listed there (did not get a list yet, the link does not open for me?) but they are quite in lalaland about these things.

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:06 am

Someone at the pet store told me nutro cans are part of it also. I know alot of people who use the nutro cans mixed with dry.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 am

Here are the links to the items recalled

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Yep nutro is on there....

Return to “Health Issues”