salmon oil

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:45 pm

try pet stores. most carry Grizzly Salmon Oil, or go to www.petedge.com they have it too.. its oil from the salmon fish, you squirt it into their food 2x a day..

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:02 pm

That's what we use...Grizzley Salmon oil...Two squirts a day

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Jeffers Pet also has competitive prices on Salmon Oil.

www.jefferspet.com

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:37 pm

My dogs get anchovie/sardine oil not salmon oil.
It has 2400 mg fish oil per serving.
This provides 432 mg EPA, and 288mg DHA

They get a dose a day, and a month supply for 3 dogs cost about $6.00
It comes in softgels, so no mess, smell, or fuss, and the dogs love 'em.
It is Rexall Maximum Strength Fish Oil in the supplement dept. at Wal-Mart.

If you want to use Salmon Oil it is good stuff, so go right ahead. But for my dogs, and my $$ I don't. Just throwing options out, NOT doggin' Salmon Oil at all.
:)

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:39 pm

beckerhead wrote:It comes in softgels, so no mess, smell, or fuss, and the dogs love 'em.

Do your dogs just eat them or do you have to wrap them in meat or something?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Save yourself some $ and just feed fish a few times a week...mine get white fish filets, sardines, canned mackeral, or canned salmon three times a week. Vicki does get extra fish oil pills in spring, summer and fall (I rotate between salmon oil and sardine/anchovy/mackeral oil) because of her allergies, but Solomon gets his omega's strictly thru canned fish and meat.

Justyna
Newborn Bully

Postby Justyna » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Sonia just eats them as is. I used to break the softgels on her food, but it was messy, and I would come to work with my fingers smelling like Salmon. :yucky: Then I realized she'll eat them whole.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:12 pm

You can get them at walmart. They are capsules in the pharmacy, next to all the vitamins and supplements. Thats what i use, one pill a day.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:29 pm

6pak wrote:
beckerhead wrote:It comes in softgels, so no mess, smell, or fuss, and the dogs love 'em.

Do your dogs just eat them or do you have to wrap them in meat or something?

They LOVE them straight out of the bottle. It's almost like giving them a treat.

:thumbsup:

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:50 pm

concreterose wrote:Save yourself some $ and just feed fish a few times a week...mine get white fish filets, sardines, canned mackeral, or canned salmon three times a week. Vicki does get extra fish oil pills in spring, summer and fall (I rotate between salmon oil and sardine/anchovy/mackeral oil) because of her allergies, but Solomon gets his omega's strictly thru canned fish and meat.

I would love to be able to feed fish regularly, and they do get jack mackerel when I can afford it. BUT...

Jack Mackerel costs:
.80 per dog per day X 3 dogs= 2.40 per day X 15 feedings= $36.00 per mo.

Anchovie/Sardine oil costs:
.05 per dog per day X3 dogs= .15 per day X 30 feedings= $4.50 per mo.

So it would cost me over 8 times more, to feed just 1/2 as much.

Originally I gave the fish oil every other day, but now do it daily and the coat difference is the biggest thing I noticed. Smooth, shiny, and soft. :)

slechner

Postby slechner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:07 am

huh, kvvet has fish oil (sardine) :

Omega-3 Fish Oil
Pure, medicinal grade fish oil made from anchovies, a natural source of the essential fatty acids EPA and DHA. These fatty acids are essential to your pet's health e.g. skin, heart, coat, joints and immune system. Omega-3 Fish Oil provides these essential fatty acids in the ready-to-use form (no biological conversion needed; plant sources omega-3 fatty acids must be converted to EPA and DHA in order to perform their critical functions).

Directions for dogs, cats and other pets:
Under 30 pounds - 1/2 teaspoon
30 pounds to 60 pounds - 1 teaspoon
60 pounds to 90 pounds - 1 1/2 teaspoons
Over 90 pounds - 2 teaspoons.

One teaspoon provides:
810 mg EPA
540 mg DHA
1,000 ppm Vitamin E.

$7.69 for 6 oz

slechner

Postby slechner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:18 am

and they also have the salmon oil....shoot, which one should i get??!!

Grizzly Salmon Oil

Helps solve skin and coat problems from the inside out by countering inflammations...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grizzly Salmon Oil is a highly active, all-natural Omega-3 health and skin and coat supplement, extracted directly in a seafood processing facility. Salmon oil helps solve skin and coat problems from the inside out by countering inflammations caused by excessive Omega-6 oils. The unprocessed EPA and DHA also strengthens the heart. Each 4 ml pump contains: 850 omega-3 fatty acids 700 mg omega-6 fatty acids. Directions: Under 25 pounds - 1 pump 25 pounds to 50 pounds - 2 pumps Over 50 pounds - 3 pumps.

starting at $4.95 for a 4 mL pump, it seems.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:26 am

Abbie Lou has allergies (allergic to her CAT SIBLINGS, among other things), and in addition to antigen injections, we've added salmon oil (Grizzy brand) to her diet. No more dandruff or weird little scabbies on her skin. LOVELY, glossly, soft coat. And I think Lou says it adds a YUM factor, too.

JaystreetsA4
Bully Ambassador

Postby JaystreetsA4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:50 am

goof stuff. whats he scoop on mercury levels in it? i read somewhere th sometimes fish cna have levels of mercury is this stuff regulated enough t insure its clean?

okiegirl
Newborn Bully

Postby okiegirl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:56 am

JaystreetsA4 wrote:goof stuff. whats he scoop on mercury levels in it? i read somewhere th sometimes fish cna have levels of mercury is this stuff regulated enough t insure its clean?

The salmon oil that I use, Iceland Pure, publishes their test results. Toxin levels in their oil are considered untraceable. And their bottle is cool.

Return to “Health Issues”