salmon oil

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
slechner

Postby slechner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am

i think mercury is more of a concern with top predators like tuna and swordfish. salmon has exposure, but anchovies/sardines--not so much.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:59 am

slechner wrote:i think mercury is more of a concern with top predators like tuna and swordfish. salmon has exposure, but anchovies/sardines--not so much.

You took the words right outta my mouth.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:44 pm

i use wild alaskan salmon oil from WA.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:45 pm

VETERINARY RESOURCE GROUP, INC.
5114 Pt. Fosdick Drive NW, #E PMB32, Gig Harbor, WA 98335
Ph: 253-209-6132 Toll Free Fax: 877-232-9874 sales@vrg-usa.com

WILD ARCTIC SALMON OIL�
Fresh Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
Sourced from the finest quality producer in Alaska this pharmaceutical grade oil is packed full of valuable Omega 3 fatty acids and flushed with nitrogen for extended shelf life.
Alaskan salmon are among the purest of all ocean fish, consistently testing free of hazardous levels of contaminates. They are also a rich source of the powerful antioxidant astaxanthin, a natural carotenoid that imparts the rich red color to our oil. Alaskan salmon is naturally high in Vit E which is usually added to the oil as natural mixed tocopherols to extend the shelf life.
We needed to source the finest quality oil for our veterinary market. What we found were International producers that made product using anchovy and herring with a trace of salmon and labeling it as "Salmon Oil". Some didn't even have salmon oil in their "Salmon Oil" and almost all of the true salmon oil we did find was from farm raised salmon. Alaska prohibits fish farms so we know for certain it is what it says it is- Wild Alaskan Salmon.
A Sustainable Harvest
The Marine Stewardship Council has certified Alaska salmon fisheries as sustainable. The Audubon Society, Sierra Club, Environmental Defense and Monterey Bay Aquarium are among the conservation groups advocating consumption of wild Alaskan salmon as opposed to farm raised salmon.
Support Alaska�s Small Business
Fishing is the economic backbone of every community in the island archipelago of Southeast Alaska. Alaska�s fisheries are small boat fisheries typically operated by family run businesses. VRG strives to promote family and small business.

babypit
Newborn Bully

How much?

Postby babypit » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:27 pm

So I read this thread, and I just purchased some Salmon Oil from Timberwolf Organics (http://timberwolforganics.com/pet-omega-oils). But I don't know how much to add to each meal.

Some previous posters mention a "squirt" or a pill. I have the gallon jug (went in on two of them with a friend, which basically cuts the cost in half), and it doesn't have a "squirter" - though I'd love to switch to a squirt container if anyone has suggestions where to get one - so I'm wondering if someone can estimate in Tablespoons or Cups or something, how much a "squirt" is...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:33 pm

when i gave the TW salmon oil i used a table spoon, and poured a tablespoon into their food. you can go out to the dollar store and buy plastic pump bottles with the pump top too, and transfer it to that..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:36 pm

and check out Teds price on salmon oil. if i remember correctly TW charges $80 for a gallon right??

Ted at the above post i am pretty sure either charges less or around the same and you might get more then the TW.. i have been using Ted for 2 years now probably, and i always order a case of salmon oil at a time, or 2 galls at a time.. he is cheaper then TW if you buy in bulk, and he also has EBAY sales too...http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Alaskan-Sal ... esstQQtZkm

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:38 pm

if you buy from Ted on ebay, right now he has free shipping.. 2 gallons of salmon oil are $120, so he is cheaper then TW by $60 if TW still sells their gallons at $80 a gal..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Salmon-Oil-2gals-25 ... dZViewItem

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Interesting: I can't find it on their website now, but yes, they were selling the Salmon Oil for nearly $80/gallon - if you bought only ONE gallon.

However, they were running a special: if you bought 2 or more gallons, they were only charging $37.99/gallon - so it was basically "Buy One, Get One Free" if you bought 2 gallons.

I found this rather astounding. I mean, who in their right mind would buy just one, EVER? The whole time I was placing the order, I kept watching the price in my shopping cart to make certain I hadn't misread something... But that's what I got them for: $37.99/gallon...

Today I can't find even the regularly priced gallon on their site. I know they only have a limited stock each year, so maybe they sold out of that size already. Or maybe the pricing I got was a mistake, and someone there wised up... :-(

It's a shame - I thought it was a FANTASTIC deal... lol :thumbsup:

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Maryellen wrote:when i gave the TW salmon oil i used a table spoon, and poured a tablespoon into their food. you can go out to the dollar store and buy plastic pump bottles with the pump top too, and transfer it to that..

And just to clarify - that was at EACH meal? So if you fed twice a day, that was 2 tablespoons a day?

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:00 pm

Oh, and does that amount add significantly to her total calories? As in, do I need to worry about reducing her food intake at all to compensate? I'm guessing no - but I want to be sure. The vet already "spanked" me for letting her eat too much (I was free feeding since she's only 8 months old). So I had to cut her back to 2 cups (Various Timberwolf kibble) per day...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:17 pm

i fed it to all 3 dogs 2x a day.. now, with the Ted's salmon oil, i dont even measure it, i just squirt what looks like a table spoon into their food, and wing it... what i like about his salmon oil is its wild, and not farmed. and ted always has it . TW doesnt have theirs in stock. .the price of $37.99 was a GREAT deal though.. i bet the reason they stopped it as it cost them more to ship the 2 gals ... i only use Ted as he has great deals, and is fast and easy to work with.. here is the current special TW is having on salmon oil dont forget to add shipping:

Please note that these 8oz. bottles will ship out as blue plastic containers.

Wild Salmon Oil Pharmaceutical Grade - Case of 12/8oz (250ml)

Wild Salmon Oil Pharmaceutical Grade - Case of 12/8oz (250ml)

Price: $109.99

Wild Salmon Oil Pharmaceutical Grade - 8oz (250ml)

Wild Salmon Oil Pharmaceutical Grade - 8oz (250ml)

Price: $9.99

mareta
Newborn Bully

Postby mareta » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:05 pm

http://www.yummychummies.com/html/products.html
Why not get salmon oil from an Alaskan company?
I have never used the oil, but LOVE the dog treats. Let me rephrase that-the dogs LOVE them.
They give some sources were you can order online. I have seen yummy chummies in Costco and Fred Meyers but I am not sure if they have made it out of the state yet. Word of warning, they don’t smell the greatest :yucky: , but when you consider what they are made out of it is to be expected.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 pm

What would be the difference in giving it in oil form as opposed to it already being a part of the food they eat? I fee Solid Gold Wolfking and there's already salmon oil in it.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:35 pm

the salmon oil in the food is minute... very very small amount.. not enough .. the liquid or pills you add is better.. same with glucosomine, its in alot of foods, but not enough to do anything.

Return to “Health Issues”