Tapeworms AND roundworms!!! Ahhhh!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Tapeworms AND roundworms!!! Ahhhh!

Postby Tortiebaby » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:03 pm

Well, I found out my puppy(9 weeks old) has tapeworms and roundworms! I saw rice thingies in his poo AND a whole worm(roundworm) so I know he has both ;_; Poor baby!

Well, I also cleaned his crate out(only been here 2 days) and found about 20 little "sesame seed". I assume those are tapeworm fragments? My goodness, he must have so many!

Well, I looked at all the dewormers and found a company that makes stuff for tapeworms and stuff for other worms to. It's called Farnum D-worm. Is that stuff any good? Does it work well? It's not very expensive, so that's why I ask. The stuff for tape worms is about $18.00 and the one for the other worms is about $20.

Also, I can't use the stuff til he's 12 weeks old. Will he be okay til then? Or is there some other stuff I can use earlier?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the weird thing though...he doesn't have fleas! I combed him over a zillion times and even got my nose about an inch away from him and REALLY slowly searched through his hair looking for any signs of fleas and found none! No poo, nothing!

I thought that dogs only got tapeworms from fleas?! No? Is there a different kind of tapeworm? I think I may have read somewhere that there are other kinds, but I'm not for sure. What do I use to get rid of them?

Please help!!! I want to get those icky things outta her! :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:10 pm

take your pup to the vet so they can give the pup the correct medicines. disinfect the crate, all blankets, and pick up all the poop with a shovel andthe ground around it, so that the worms cant go into the grass, and she wont reinfect herself if she eats the grass.. do thiss to the entire yard. every time she poops pick it up w/ a shovel and the dirt and grass around it.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:35 pm

ditto
vet is in order here
any wormer you give is basically poison, you need a fecal taken then vet will prescribe what chemicals to give accordingly.
it only takes one ingested flea to give them tapes
yes the dried sesame seeds are segments from tapes that have dried up after crawling out of her butt or off her poop
has she been to the vets yet for a check up or any shots??

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 pm

I thought you were taking him in to the vet!??? Do not dink around with this. He's not had shots, I'm sure, and with the worms, he'll be more susceptible to parvo.
If that pup lives it will be a miracle.
Get him to the vet ASAP.
12 weeks is WAYYYY too long to wait to worm a puppy. He could die by then from the infestation and if you don't believe me, go volunteer at a shelter for a few months.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:51 pm

I might add that when they have TAPEWORMS that means fleas.
I hope you are treating for that too!

Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Postby Tortiebaby » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Like I said, he DOES NOT have fleas.

I know how to deal with fleas. I have dealt with them all my life with my mom's animals and my cats and one of my ferrets. I know what to look for and how to detect fleas. One of the first things I did when I got the puppy was to check for fleas. I've combed him a zillion and done an upclose inspection of every ince of his body. There are no fleas and there are no flea droppings. He doesn't have any!

I just did some more research and found out that he couldn't have gotten fleas from eating a mouse or rabbit or such. My guess is that the mama pobably ate a wild critter and gave the puppy the worms because of it.

Or, maybe he HAD fleas when he was younger and doesn't have them any more. That would explain why he already has so many worms. There is a good vet nearby that I took my cats to. I will take him there tomorrow and see what they can do.

Also, how old does a puppy have to be before he can get neutered? I'm going to call the anti-cruelty society tomorrow to make him an appointment to be neutered and am wondering for when I should schedule it. He's only 9 1/2 weeks old right now.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:21 pm

I agree, get to a vet. Not just for the worms, but for a check up, vaccines, etc.

There are two main types of tapeworm. The flea tapeworm and the Taenia tapeworms. The Taenia tapeworms are from eating an infected rodent or rabbit, or infected raw meat. But this type of tapeworm rarely leaves segments in the feces. If you are seeing 'rice grains' in the feces, chances are that is the flea tapeworm (Dipylidium caninum).

The flea tapeworm is from injesting an infected larval flea. The pup does not necessarily have fleas anymore, it could have had them in the past and been treated for them, but not treated for the worms. I would treat for fleas just in case though, or the pup will be constantly reinfected.

D-worm contains Praziquantel, and it does work on the flea tapeworm. For the roundworms you need a medicine containing pyrantel pamoate.

Still, please see a vet. They can check the fecal sample for other worms that you may not be seeing (entire roundworms are only seen in the feces in VERY heavy infections, usually you only see microscopic eggs). And please get the pup vaccinated, especially for Parvo! You don't want to mess around with that....

~Lindsay~

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm

The vet should be able to tell you when s/he will neuter him when you take him in for having worms. Please do not neglect this!

Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Postby Tortiebaby » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 pm

What type of flea medication do you recommend? I'm going to give it to him even though he doesn't have them. I mean, it's warming up here and I'm sure the fleas have already started showing their ugly little heads. I don't want all my animals getting fleas! It would be nice to have a year without flea problems. :)

About the neutering?...when? I've heard it can be done as early as 8 weeks, it that safe?

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 pm

These are all good questions to ask a vet ;) when you see one.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Why don't you go to see a vet? I don't understand.

My dog had roundworms really bad when we got him at 5 weeks old, and the vet was the only one who had the medicine he needed(I KNOW I was a VET TECH)

GET THAT PUPPY TO A VET.

Using certain flea products on puppies are not good.

Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Postby Tortiebaby » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:12 pm

I KNOW!!!! I already said I was going to take him to the vet tomorrow. My goodness! What do you expect me to do?! Get up right now and go run to the vet! Honestly! I get the point! :po:

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:21 pm

For fleas, I use FrontLine Plus...it works like a charm against fleas, ticks and I think mosquitos. It can start being used at 8 weeks.

It's pricey, but worth it. My vet allows me to buy 1 application, instead of a whole box...so money isn't wasted on a rapidly growing puppy.

Do NOT buy any Hartz flea products (sold in stores)...they have had serious side effects in some pets.

Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Postby Tortiebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:29 am

Thank. I'll ask my vet about the single applications. I want to get the good kind, but like you said, it's pricey, maybe the vet with work with me on that.

Yeah, I figured there had to be somthing wrong with harts, otherwixe, why would it be so darn cheap. Thanks for the heads up.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:34 am

I use Biospot, I've heard bad things but it's worked fine for us.

Return to “Health Issues”