Tapeworms AND roundworms!!! Ahhhh!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:54 am

it realy is not good to overload this puppy with all of these poisons at once.
the vet can worm him, then get started on a vaccination schedule, then go for the neutering/fle products (if needed)
you an severly compromise his immune system doing everything at the same time and that is now what this puppy needs.(can/will cause a host of a whole new set of problems if his immune systmes is weakened, including death)
you will also need to check with your vet about heartworm preventative
all of your concerns/questions will be answered by your vet today

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:54 am

Ok, it may be my lack of sleep, but I am sorry all i read was you were going to take the put to the anti-crulety society for neutering.

Glad you are taking the pup to the vet

EmyJ

Postby EmyJ » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:15 am

you can order frontline online cheaper than what you pay at the vet!

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:16 pm

Tortiebaby wrote:I KNOW!!!! I already said I was going to take him to the vet tomorrow. My goodness! What do you expect me to do?! Get up right now and go run to the vet! Honestly! I get the point! :po:

So how was the vet visit today?

Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Postby Tortiebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Well, I called and they scheduled him for Friday at 11 am. They said the secretary said they'd probably just give him the dewormed and then work from there on the vaccines. I also called the anti-cruelty society and left a message to set him up for a neutering. I assume when they call me back they will discuss what age he needs to be to get neutered. Soooo....so far so good. I just have to survive til Friday without spazzing. I guess if he's done fine til now then another 2 days won't do too much harm :(

Can his worms be spread to humans? If so, how can I prevent it? I don't want worms ;_; I'm also worried about my kitty and ferrets.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:01 pm

i would call the vet back and tell them the worms are comingout his ass, and he MUST see the vet now... tell the woman how urgent it is, that the pup can die from the worms.. demand to see the vet now, not friday.

AmstaffMommy
Bully Ambassador

Postby AmstaffMommy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:03 pm

LISTEN TO HER ^^^^^^^ :po:

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Maryellen wrote:i would call the vet back and tell them the worms are comingout his ass, and he MUST see the vet now... tell the woman how urgent it is, that the pup can die from the worms.. demand to see the vet now, not friday.

Agreed. If your vet takes walk-ins like mine does, I'd just go up there. You may have to wait a little while, but it's better than waiting a few days.

you can order frontline online cheaper than what you pay at the vet!

This is true, but you can't buy single applications online, you have to buy a whole box. I'd stick with the single applications for a growing puppy, and once their weight levels off, then start buying the boxes.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:45 pm

Maryellen wrote:i would call the vet back and tell them the worms are comingout his ass, and he MUST see the vet now... tell the woman how urgent it is, that the pup can die from the worms.. demand to see the vet now, not friday.

I agree. Most worm infections are asymptomatic and will not really harm the animal. But if actual worms are coming out in the feces, it means the pup is VERY heavily infected. Roundworms have been known to actually block the intestines and kill pups when there are a lot of them. It is not common, but it does happen. Also, if he has hookworms, a heavy infection of them can lead to anemia and death (hookworms suck blood). Because this puppy is so young a heavy worm infection is nothing to mess around with.

Roundworms in a dog can only infect other dogs, so you and your other animals are safe. There is a condition called Larva Migrans if you injest microscopic roundworm eggs (from the feces, the eggs stick to fur, furniture, etc). It has caused muscle damage, even blindness, in rare cases. So wash your hands well and clean up poop ASAP.

You can not get the flea tapeworm directly from the dog unless the dog still has fleas. If you injest an infected flea however, you will get the tapeworm. Your cat (and possibly your ferret, not sure) can also become infected if they injest any infected fleas. The flea tapeworm is not species-specific like roundworms are.

Also, I agree with Pblove on don't do too much too soon. Ask your vet what they recommend, but I would not treat for fleas, worms, AND do vaccines all at the same time.

~Lindsay~

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:09 am

I use frontline plus too....

advantage just didnt work on my dogs well. It washed off and after a bath they had fleas agian.

frontline worx great and is water proof and ay my vet its cheaper then frontline! :thumbsup:

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Hurry to your vet, don't wait till friday. Dogs, can get really sick really fast!!!

If your vet takes walk ins I would go...if not try to find another vet or an emergency vet.

Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Postby Tortiebaby » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:09 pm

UPDATE: I took him to the vet yesterday as planned and they gave him the d-worming stuff and set up another appointment for his first vaccines.

Today he went number 2 and EEEWWWW, the worms are dead!lol.

Poor little baby ;_; I'll bet he feels alot better now!

I think I'm gonna buy some interceptor tabs or something like that(I used that stuff for my other dog) so I can give him stuff every month to keep the worms away. What do you think? sound like a plan?

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:56 pm

Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:59 am

How's your dog doing?

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:37 pm

interceptor, like for heart worm? yes thats a great idea. Does interceptor protect against intestinal parasites too?

when i took ace for his first vet visit we walked in the same day we got him.
he had a belly full of hook worms and some other parasites. they treated him there and gave us powdered medication to mix with his food.

i would ask your vet what kind of medications to give your dog. our vet hooked us up for the first few months of heart worm and also was able to give us single doses of frontline.

Return to “Health Issues”