Canada low cost spaying options!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Canada low cost spaying options!

Postby Wesam » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:20 am

Well the title says it all. My pup is ready to be spayed. She is 9 months old now and I got quoted $354 CAD. That is approximately $305 US. Well my question is WTF? Does that sound reasonable to anyone or am I going to get jacked up if I accept the offer? I am dying to spay her (contrary to when I first got her lol) but right now, I can not afford to do that. Why did my vet quote me that much? He said this included some tests done prior to the surgery and some antibiotics for after the surgery. I do understand that her weighting about 43 pounds is not helping, but I'm sure there are cheaper places, with the same quality of work.

Does anyone know where I can spay her for a cheaper amount? I am also looking for quality as I am going to be worried SICK for her while shes on the operating table. Can someone please offer me some advice? Thanks

Wesam

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:00 am

Have you called around to different clinics and got prices? That does seem kind of high, although I know in alot of places in the USA they can get to be up there, in the $200 range. I only paid $90 for Gypsy to be spayed, and she probably wieghed 50lbs or so at the time.

I have no other advice for you, but good luck.

Ket

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:43 am

Thats an accurate price.

If you look outside of the city in the more rural areas the price will decrease by at least 50- 70 $$.

The tests are the pre blood work and range from 60- 100 dollars

Were exactly are you located I can do some digging around with rescue groups in the area.

Was this dog not from a rescue or shelter? she should have come spayed already (another benefit to rescue dogs :thumbsup: )

V

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:30 am

That seems about right. Ontario has higher vet costs thanother places in Canada.

You can get a spay here for $120, but as I see what we do and how much it costs us, they must lose money on every sx if they do it right.
Then again you can get a cat neuter for $45, but I have a hard time getting a good oil change for that...hmmmm....suv, no heartbeat and basic maitenance...living being undergoing surgery.....
We charge $154 and that includes attoo, nail trim and 3 days pot op pain meds. The clinic I worked in Mississauga would charge closer to $245, but no extras...bloodwork is $54 and fluids $45 etc.

A spay is a full hysterectomy ( a major surgery), so don't look for the cheapest, look for the most competent surgeon and good luck!

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:02 pm

Man thats expensive. Well for those who asked; I am located in downtown Montreal. I have a car so I am willing to travel up to 50 kilometers to get a good surgery done.

The reason she is not spayed is because I got her from a............... :oops:

I have a friend who works with a rescue (one thats hated on this forum, Sophie's Dog Adoption) and she told me I can have it done for as little as $120, but how would I be able to tell if its a good doctor or not?

saturn2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Canada low cost spaying options!

Postby saturn2 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 pm

wesam wrote:Well the title says it all. My pup is ready to be spayed. She is 9 months old now and I got quoted $354 CAD. That is approximately $305 US. Well my question is WTF? Does that sound reasonable Does anyone know where I can spay her for a cheaper amount? I am also looking for quality as I am going to be worried SICK for her while shes on the operating table. Can someone please offer me some advice? Thanks

Wesam

Canadian prices are high. You can apply for financial assistance with PBRC's Spay/Neuter Fund: http://www.pbrc.net/fund/ap_neuter.html

~Sharon

mydogsarethepits
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mydogsarethepits » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:02 pm

I am in the West Coast of Canada, and can get Shots, Spay, and Tattoo for $130.00 for a dog over 5 months of age and under 60 pounds.

I would shop around if I was you, that amount seems VERY high. :\

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:44 am

I would shop around if I was you, that amount seems VERY high

It's actually not that bad for QC. I beleive Montreal has a low cost clinic.

Hmm if Sophie can get her spayed for 120.00 then ask to use her vet.

Im surprised you would think if she was paying so little she would actually speuter ALL the dogs before placement then

:\

to each their own I guess.

V

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:33 am

I second what pittymomma said about looking around at rural areas, honestly, the more rural, the better in price (and strangely, in my experience, the better the vet).

My example, in ON: Mom's town quoted around $250 plus taxes. Ottawa's prices were $350 plus taxes (I'm sorry, but I cracked up laughing).
The vet 30km from mom's town, further in the boonies: $182, taxes in. (She seems to have kept her prices at the level they were at a few yrs ago)
She also doesn't believe in the "new" pre-testing, and post-meds-up-the-wazoo mentality. She is also the one that neutered both my boys.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 am

honestly, the more rural, the better in price (and strangely, in my experience, the better the vet).

that is how it is here too, callie

Return to “Health Issues”