PetsMart question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
aqha1962
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

PetsMart question

Postby aqha1962 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:43 am

Does PetsMart sell any type of dry dog food that anyone would recommend? Otis is on Purina Pro Plan because he's very picky and that is one of the few things we've found that he will eat, but I would like to try one last time to put him on something better and PetsMart is really the only place around here to buy food.
Also, I have a hard time getting him to eat when we are staying in hotels. I was putting a small can of dog food into his dry to get him to eat, but with all the recalls I don't feel comfortable doing that any more. Would a small can of chicken, tuna or salmon be better for him?

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:50 am

I buy Avoderm at PetsMart. I had great luck with My Aussie on it for 16 years, and so far, Bella is doing well on Avoipuppy after the first 3 weeks. Good Luck!!!

Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lmporter03 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:53 am

most petsmarts sell blue buffalo. its probably the best thing they sell for dry kibble. good ingredients. no corn, no wheat, no soy, no by-products. my dog does very well on it.

aqha1962
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby aqha1962 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:04 pm

Thanks, I will try a bag of that next time and see if Mr. Picky will eat it.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:07 pm

Where are you in IL? I'm in IL myself and may be able to recommend some other places besides Petsmart.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:07 pm

aqha1962 wrote:Thanks, I will try a bag of that next time and see if Mr. Picky will eat it.

Just make Mr. Picky eat it!
i had a picky eater that I put up with for a long time. Life if much easier now that she eats what I give her when I want her to eat it. lol

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:10 pm

I get the Blue Buffalo from petsmart as well.

I like my Petsmart. They like Jack, they have trainers there who are familiar with the breed and they are generally friendly to me and my dog. Nobody turns their nose up because he's a pit mix.

aqha1962
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby aqha1962 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:11 pm

I'm in Champaign, IL. You'd think with the U of I being here, we'd have a lot more choices, but perhaps there are some that I don't know about.

Allie, LOL, I always worried if Mr. Picky went on a hunger strike for too long when he was a puppy. I think now that he's a big grown up boy, it's now such an issue, am I correct? He's the first dog I've ever had, so I'm learning new things every day.

miette
Adolescent Bully

bb

Postby miette » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 pm

blue buffalo!!!

go to www.bluebuff.com

you can type in your area code to make sure your local Petsmart sells it. Most do.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Blue is good, Avoderm is good (as long as you get one of their formula's that has suitable protein content) By Nature is also very good, but not all stores carry it.

You don't need to worry about any of the canned foods by those companies either, as they contain no wheat or wheat gluten. Blue is not canned by Menu foods at all, not even one of their unaffected plants.

As for Mr. Picky, put him on a schedule, set his food down for 10 minutes, then pick it up. Don't feed him again until his next scheduled feeding. He will figure it out.

aqha1962
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby aqha1962 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:42 pm

I guess I am a bad dog mama. :sad:
I just put his food down, sometimes he eats it all up, sometimes he will just pick at it throughout the day. At the next feeding, I just replace however much he has eaten. His eating patterns are more like a cat than a dog.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:44 pm

I didn't say you were a bad dog mom lol I said if you didn't want him to be picky, that is a good way to do it. Plus you can more closely monitor how much he eats. When you free feed, you will sometimes not notice as quickly if your dog is sick and off his feed.

aqha1962
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby aqha1962 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:49 pm

He is VERY spoiled, LOL!
And I KNOW it is not good for dogs to get table food, but he usually gets a little of whatever we have for dinner as long as there are not onions, etc. in it (not much, just a spoonful). His absolute favorite is spaghetti.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:14 pm

aqha1962 wrote:He is VERY spoiled, LOL!
And I KNOW it is not good for dogs to get table food, but he usually gets a little of whatever we have for dinner as long as there are not onions, etc. in it (not much, just a spoonful). His absolute favorite is spaghetti.

As long as you're not feeding anything fatty, high in sugar, or toxic....table food IS good for dogs.

If you ate the same processed food every day your whole life....no doctor would tell you not to add something fresh as often as possible. It's the same for dogs. Variety is key to any balanced diet, human or dog.

Blue Buffalo is really palatable....most dogs dig it.

Not all dogs do well on it, because it is made with sunflower oil. Most of the dogs I hear of doing bad on Blue, also did poorly on Canidae(which also has sunflower oil).

My own pittie can't have either. So if that's a problem, get their 'large breed' formula, it's made without sunflower oil. I know pitbulls aren't a 'large breed' but the only difference is that and a slightly different protein/fat level, but they're still in a good range.

bella_blue
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bella_blue » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:54 pm

Have you checked premium pet stores (mom & pop type stores) or grooming salons in your area? I live in Bloomington, and we have a lot of small pet stores and grooming salons that sell food like Timberwolf, Nature's Variety, Merrick, etc.

Return to “Health Issues”