Puppy exercise question?...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Puppy exercise question?...

Postby Tortiebaby » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:23 pm

I heard from a couple people that too much exercise can be bad for a puppy, is that true? If so, what is considered too much exercise?

I try and take my puppy out whenever the weather permits. If I can go long then I'll just take him for a couple spins around the block. however, if weathre and time permits, then I will take him down to the forest preserve, takes about 15-20 minutes to get there so I figure its about a mile there(2 miles total walking).

I wear my rollerblades but I go at his speed. A slow walk/brisk walk/run, whatever he wants.

He's 10 weeks old and weighs 16 lbs and is full of energy.

now, keep in mind that I live in an apartment so he doesn't get much exercise inside except for chasing the cat or his toy throughout the livingroom. So when he's outside that's the majority of his playtime.

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Your pup is still very young. His bones aren't fully formed nor hardened yet, and they wont be until he is about 12 months old. So you have to watch out for that. He is in a phase where his joints are setting into place and if you over do his exercise, he might grow with un-even development. Even if his parents had great hips, elbows/joints, it can be a disaster for your pup, as in causing him hip or even elbow dysplasia, which is apparently very common with this breed.

Someone mentioned to me that their stifles (knee joints) are very sensitive, especially at this age. So try to prevent jumping up and down as much as you can. I would also suggest avoiding him to run up and down the stairs as it is very bad for their elbows.

You dog is 10 weeks old and now you should be concentrating on socializing the pup in the house more than anything. From the age of 8 weeks till about 3 months old, socialization is a must. Once he is fully vaccinated, then take him out for short walks, and nothing but walks. This will help him in socializing as well as developing a healthy bone structure!

Exercise for a little pup is very important, but try to keep it in the house by playing with him. You will find that this is enough for your puppy!

Tortiebaby
Newborn Bully

Postby Tortiebaby » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:26 am

Sorry it took me so long to respond...

Thanks! I wasn't sure about what I was told but what you sa makes alot of sense.

Well, today I took him to a pakr neaby that always has alot of kids at it. It has a .45 mile track that goes around it so I went ahead and walked around it working on Prince's "heeling" skills(or lack there of, lol). I was mainly trying to get him to try and focus with distractions. I know he's a bit young, but If figure it's never too early to start. At the end of the walk/training we went by the playground and I let him get over-run with little kids, lol! He was is puppy heaven. I have to hold him back a bit to keep him from jumping up and scratching the little kids with his puppy claws. :)

Do you think that's too much excercise too? I mean, most of the time I am just trying to get him to sit and such. I just go on the trakc to get him away from the kids and to a spot where he can "focus".

Plus, I figured the kids at the playground would offer good socialization. :peace:

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:58 am

With all the energy puppies have, an "around-the-block" distance walk should not be too much exercise. It's good for them to get used to new situations and people when they're this age and more accepting of new things.

Boredom can actually be more of a problem with puppies this age-- if they've been outside and around the block so that they're a little tired (not totally beat), it will help them to be content to be calm or sleep when you're gone or not paying direct attention to them in the house, and not get them started on destructive behavior like chewing, barking, etc.

Return to “Health Issues”