Blue Buffalo or Canidae???? I am need to decide soon! Help m

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Blue Buffalo or Canidae???? I am need to decide soon! Help m

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:50 pm

I am switching my 2 dogs over from Natural Choice Max(large breed puppy and senior) to either Canidae or Blue buffalo? Which is the best or is there a better option I can get without having to order it online that is around teh same price?
I am so sick of these food recalls, and want something good for my animals! HElp! Thanks.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:48 pm

Kirkland, at Costco, is good for dogs.
If I had only the TWO you listed, to choose from, I'd choose Canidae though.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:54 am

All my dogs did horrid on Canidae, but most peoples seem to do fine

miette
Adolescent Bully

ok.

Postby miette » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:27 am

When deciding between two foods, I would look at the protein percentage and the first 5 ingredients. We already know that Blue and Candidae are premium food w/o corn, wheat, or soy. I checked both websites and here's what I found:

Blue and Candidae tie with both having 26% protein.

TOP 5 INGREDIENTS IN CANDIDAE:
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed

TOP 5 INGREDIENTS IN BLUE:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal

I compared Candidae chicken and brown rice to Blue chicken and brown rice large breed. I would go with blue...the first two ingredients are chicken and they use all natural human grade meat. Plus with Blue there's the protection of life source bits that you don't get in any other food. I think the ingredients speak for themselves: chicken meal and brown rice as the top 2 OR chicken and chicken meal as the top 2.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:34 am

I bought Blue for my doxie and he had horrible dandruff on it.

MikeV

Re: ok.

Postby MikeV » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:37 am

miette wrote:When deciding between two foods, I would look at the protein percentage and the first 5 ingredients. We already know that Blue and Candidae are premium food w/o corn, wheat, or soy. I checked both websites and here's what I found:

Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal

I compared Candidae chicken and brown rice to Blue chicken and brown rice large breed. I would go with blue...the first two ingredients are chicken and they use all natural human grade meat. Plus with Blue there's the protection of life source bits that you don't get in any other food. I think the ingredients speak for themselves: chicken meal and brown rice as the top 2 OR chicken and chicken meal as the top 2.

I give my dog the Canidae All Life Stages which list these as the top ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin,

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:13 pm

miette wrote:When deciding between two foods, I would look at the protein percentage and the first 5 ingredients. We already know that Blue and Candidae are premium food w/o corn, wheat, or soy. I checked both websites and here's what I found:

Human grade chicken and bone ground together??? nope, just a marketing ploy

trdbird
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby trdbird » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:20 pm

i feed all 3 of my dogs Canidae All Life Stages. they all do great on it, meaning energy, coat, poop, and they look and are healthy. :thumbsup:

miette
Adolescent Bully

Postby miette » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Can you explain how humade grade deboned chicken as the number one ingredient in a dog food is a marketing toy?

Blue Buffalo has no marketing...you never see ads or commercials. Their "marketing" is creating a premium food and I think the ingredients speak for themselves. Candidae is a great food, there are a lot of great dog foods out there. I have Sunny on BB and she does great and I think it's a great product.

docdeath
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby docdeath » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Canidae All Life Stages works great for my dog, but every dog can do better or worse on any foods, something you need to decide...

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:36 pm

chicken meal, is ground up chicken bones, with chicken meat.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:08 pm

What they are saying when they list the ingedients that way is that the chicken MEAT (deboned) is the most, by weight, plentiful ingredient in the food, FOLLOWED by chicken meal, which includes meat AND bone, ground. You want SOME bone, but having deboned meat, THEN meal gives you a different meat to bone ratio then just having meal. More meat, less bone, but still enough bone.

Both good foods, depends on what your individual dogs do well on. Mine had duller coats/less muscle/more gas on the Canidae, but a lot of that could have been because I switched them from EVO to that. They looked freakin AWESOME on the EVO, but it made my bitch incontinent because of the increased water intake.

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:33 pm

We feed Canidae to our dogs and Felidae to our cats...everyone does great on it!

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:01 pm

Honestly, both of my dogs are doing great on Nutro Max(my 10 year old shihtzu on senior and my american bulldog/lab mix on large breed puppy).
My shihtzu's hair is so shiny and her allergies are clearing up now(before she was on Iams and purina)
My american bulldog/lab mix has always been on Nutro Max large breed since I got him at 5 weeks old.

I am so confused on what dog food to feed them. Sounds like Blue is better than Canidae, though!!! Hummmm Mabey I will just have to sit and compare food one day the whole day.

Thanks everyone. :-)

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:04 pm

Nutro Max lowest quality of the Nutro foods. If you like Nutro and they do well on it, I would think of stepping up to Natural Choice Nutro, or even better, Ultra.

Return to “Health Issues”