Spaying

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Spaying

Postby James Getchell » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:57 am

OK. I have two APBT's . I have had the female for a couple of months, and the male for a couple of weeks. They are both a year old. We planned on getting both fixed. Woke up this morning to find spots on the floor and on her bedding. They both sleep in our room. My question is what are the chances that we will be having additions to the family. We have seperated them, but could it be to late? We do not want to breed them. They are pets not for profit. Can she be spayed while in heat? We will at least take him to be neutered. How long do the stay in heat?

Thanks
James Getchell
James Getchell

Postby jmann4 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:19 am

James, it is possible to spay your dog while heat. It's also possible to do it if she is pregnant. The heat cycle usually lasts 10 days.
jmann4

Heat cycles

Postby Rumpley » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:00 pm

I'm no vet, but everything I've read said that heat cycles can last up to 21 days in total. If I were you, I'd call your vet to confirm. Also, a bitch in heat can be bred more than once, with more than one male, and you can end up with one litter mixed with two different fathers if the males have had a chance at her in the same cycle.

Yes, dogs can be spayed while in heat (although they will usually want to watch them a bit more in observation due to bleeding risks - it's a slightly riskier surgery.) They can be spayed while pregnant as well, and the puppies can be aborted (which I recommend if indeed your male did get to your female.) These procedures are usually more expensive (but that's no excuse not to do it immediately.) It's the responsible thing to do as an owner.

Seriously, you're lucky she just came into heat now at a year, as a lot of dogs would have come into season earlier. I would get both dogs into your vet asap, as "mistakes" like a litter of puppies are completely avoidable if handled properly.
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby James Getchell » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:43 pm

We have made an appotment for next monday.
James Getchell

Postby pocketpit » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:07 pm

Just another answer. The heat cycle usually last roughly 3 weeks and most bitches are only receptive to the male during the middle of their cycle. So you probably have nothing to worry about. Keep your appointment and just remember that when she comes home, you'll still need to keep them seperated. He will still be very interested in breeding her as it takes a while for the hormone levels to drop, and she needs to be quiet and calm to heal properly.
pocketpit

Postby BullyBud » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:43 pm

Your vet will prob give you recommendations but I wouldnt spay while in heat. Too many risks. You could always have the pups aborted and spay later. JMO!
BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues