I've had it with this dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
coweatchicken

I've had it with this dog

Postby coweatchicken » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:04 pm

My husband and I are on a tight budget with hardly any wiggle room, and his pay (military) has been messed up twice so we're REALLY tight. Everything is okay except for Lucy.

Whenever we can't afford it, she starts breaking out and chewing herself raw. I put a e-collar on her, but she still scratches herself and now she's got an open sore on her neck from scratching and she can't wear a collar. She's got red bumps all over, she's drawing blood, she doesn't sleep well cause she itches so much, and I can't even afford to go and buy benedryl in the "hopes" that it does something for her.
I can't afford to take her to the vet. Even if they put us on a pay system, we still couldn't afford it.
I give her a bath once every 10 days with oatmeal shampoo, I rub anti-itch cream on her, I've switched her food to an allergy formula by a local brand that has nothing "bad" in it according to the charts on this forum. I just took her off of the fish oil pills to see if they're even doing anything for her.
Ever since I brought her home from the humane society she's been going crazy. Hives here, rashes here, crying because she's drawing blood while she's scratching herself. I've tried bandages wrapped around her feet to stop her from clawing and that didn't work either. Shes bald on her back. I can see the skin through spares hairs.
I feel so horrible that I can't take care of her. What should I do? By August I'll be able to afford having her in the vets office every day but that's four months away. And then I'll have to worry about different allergies since we'll be moving to a state with a different climate. If the dry air of the desert is bad for her, whats the humidity of Louisiana going to put her through with all the bugs that bite, the extra pollen, and the wet grass?

I'm just at my wits end. Can anyone give me any advice to help her or just to give me words of encouragement? When I adopted her, I didn't think it was going to be like this or I would have let her find a home that could afford to cater to her every need right off the bat.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Sorry I don't have any answers but I know someone out there does...
paws crossed for you and the pup.....

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm

I didn't see you meantion it, so I'm going to ask if you treat your pup for fleas?? Pit bulls tend to be allergic to flea saliva, and I actually had one once do the same exact thing, and it turns out he was allergic to fleas!! He lost 75% of his hair on his back, was flakey, red, and nothing worked, until we went to petsmart (go figure) and an employee suggested flea issues! We put him on that cheapy stuff (didn't know any better!) and it worked!! He stopped itching!

Good Luck!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:20 pm

Four things cause dogs to itch this much... Yeast (unlikely unless your dog has serious allergies), Flea allergies, and Sarcoptic mange. The fourth is familial and its not likely your dog has it.

I would try to find the cash to buy something called Revolution from your vet. Its a flea and tick preventative that will ALSO kill the mange if your dog has it. It takes care of your top two most likely problems without ever paying for a vet.

If that doesn't work, then you're going to have to see a vet to figure out what else might be going on.

rutibegga
Super Bully

Postby rutibegga » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:30 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I would try to find the cash to buy something called Revolution from your vet. Its a flea and tick preventative that will ALSO kill the mange if your dog has it. It takes care of your top two most likely problems without ever paying for a vet.

I actually spoke to a rep for Revolution last year for Barty's mange. It's off-label used for demodex once in a while, but it doesn't seem to do such a great job if your dog is infested.

Our office just had a CE with Bayer about Advantage Multi, their new broad-spectrum product, and (once again, this is off-label in the US) it's been marketed overseas and labeled for mange. We're hoping it helps Barty's skin; he's had a few clean skin scrapes, but I'm still not convinced he doesn't still have mange. He gets bald patches here and there seemingly at random still...

MissKiwi: sorry to ramble on about flea/heartworm/whatever products. I've sat through 8 million CE lectures about them in the last month!

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:35 pm

Are you able to get a credit card to help meet her immediate needs and then begin paying it off in August, when finances give you a bit more breathing room?

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm possitive she doesn't have fleas or ticks and I've already had her put through a series of shots that should have gotten rid of any mite infestations.
And no, I can't get a credit card... I don't have the credit for one and my husband has too much debit on his report to get a card.
I'm just at my wits end. I feel like crying every time she starts going nuts on herself.
And as for the Revolution, I know it might help her, but I really think she has more issues than that medicine would take care of. She's 60 lbs now, so that makes the price go up.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:45 pm

August is a ways away, and it sounds like she's pretty miserable, and you're pretty miserable about her being miserable. NOT trying to be nasty...but is it time for you to start to consider whether or not to try to rehome her?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:51 pm

rutibegga wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:I would try to find the cash to buy something called Revolution from your vet. Its a flea and tick preventative that will ALSO kill the mange if your dog has it. It takes care of your top two most likely problems without ever paying for a vet.

I actually spoke to a rep for Revolution last year for Barty's mange. It's off-label used for demodex once in a while, but it doesn't seem to do such a great job if your dog is infested.

Its not for demodex, its for sarcoptes, and is 98% effective after 2 treatments. Demodex does not produce the serious, self-trauma sort of itchiness that sarcoptes does...

It only takes ONE FLEA to produce the serious allergic reactions that cause dogs to rip themselves apart. The dog doesn't need to have an infestation, they only need to have a single flea that they pick up from outdoors. Monthly flea repellents should solve a flea allergy problem completely.

Something else to think about is that if your dog is THAT miserable that she's destroying herself, maybe you should start trying to find alternative funding or an alternative home. Its bordering on cruelty to have a serious infection like this and not get some sort of medical treatment for it.

BlueLemonade
Adolescent Bully

Postby BlueLemonade » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:01 pm

If you've done your research, you'll see that there are certain types of mange that only puppies will get, and if you treat it and wait, it will eventually go away. Not sure exactly, but you should look it up (i had problems similar when i brought abby home).

However, like it was said, looking out for the best interest of the dog, it seems to me like you should really consider finding her a home that could take care of her-or maybe, if you KNOW you will be ok in august, try to work something out with a rescue that will take care of her now, then you can donate (of course it would be MORE than simply what it took to care for her) when you take her back. I don't know if any would take the chance that you would not keep your end of the bargain, though, based on the fact that you took the dog knowing that you weren't financially stable enough to take her to the vet if need be.

It seems like you really do care for this dog, though, so i really hope you find the answer to your problem soon.

Daphnesmom
Matured Bully

Postby Daphnesmom » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Have you tried asking the shelter you adopted from for help? They have connections with vets, maybe they could get a donation of Revolution for you to at least try.

Also, you can apply fora Lifeline grant from UAN (www.uan.org). they don't approve every request, but I know enough that have been.

You're also in Texas, and the country, you should try the local feedstores. They have better prices than the vet, they might carry Revolution.

I get that finances are tight, but you're not talking hundreds of dollars here.

dr961
Super Bully

being realistic

Postby dr961 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:15 pm

coweatchicken wrote:... I don't have the credit for one and my husband has too much debit on his report to get a card. I'm just at my wits end. I feel like crying every time she starts going nuts on herself.

***Sorry to read that your girl is still having so many itching problems. You've tried a lot of things and spent a lot of money with no good results. It might be time to start thinking about euthanasia. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes its the best option. Why let the poor dog suffer? Trying to stop her from scratching isn't fair--just think how miserable you would be if you had a terrible itch you couldn't scratch! Sometimes dogs just have problems that can't be cured, and you obviously have tried hard. Don't beat yourself up over this.

I expect most people here will jump on me for being heartless, but I'm trying to be realistic. When dogs get to the point that they are miserable almost all the time, despite the owner's best efforts, its time to do some hard thinking. Eventually most people reach a limit to how much more they can take, both stress-wise and financially.

Options are limited: you can let the dog suffer and give up, trying to ignore the poor dog's scratching and open sores (not a good option). You can watch the dog suffer and continue to rack your brain, try the few things you haven't already, stress out, and spend yet more money trying to find out whats causing her problem and hoping there's something that can reasonably be done to fix her. Or you can humanely euthanize the poor dog and accept that you did the best you could, under your specific circumstances (mental, physical, and financial.)

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:19 pm

Euthanasia for a itchy dog? That sounds more then a little extreme.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:21 pm

I agree Dick. This dog needs medical attention NOW. If your options for obtaining monies are exhausted, please find a new home for her. This dog is miserable living like this and you aren't doing her any favours by prolonging medical attention.

dr961
Super Bully

Re: I've had it with this dog

Postby dr961 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:32 pm

coweatchicken wrote:... breaking out and chewing herself raw. I put a e-collar on her, but she still scratches herself and now she's got an open sore on her neck from scratching and she can't wear a collar. She's got red bumps all over, she's drawing blood...I can't afford to take her to the vet...Hives here, rashes here, crying because she's drawing blood while she's scratching herself.

***I'm sorry, but this seems to be worse than just a bit of itchiness. The dog is scratching herself raw, and the owner isn't able to do anything more to help.

As to rehoming the dog, good luck. Healthy pit bulls are dying every day in shelters due to lack of homes. Who is going to take on one with such problems? If some angel can be found to take this dog and do whatever it takes to cure her and keep her happy and healthy, by all means go for it. I just suggested euthanasia because the dog is obviously suffering and there seems to be no help for her.

Return to “Health Issues”